Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 19, 2006, 5:15 AM   #11

Just on the subject of reselling your used printers... There is a market for the parts in these printers even if the whole cost of cartridges thing is a nightmare.

Printheads are worth at least £20 (if sold pretty darned quickly after last use)

The CD trays will sell for £10

Oh and I'm looking for the empty cartridges so I can test the various permutations of "empty" and the problems Canon have built into their new machines to solve a problem that's been bugging me for quite some time... So if you have any and would rather see them recycled or put to good use, let me know...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:29 AM   #12

hi zakezuke

/But in the past, canons were not horrible on wasting ink, they do more than HP for example/

yes i agree a couple of my friends have the canon i865 that seems a good printer as far as it does not self clean and they do seem to get alot of ink prints from thembut i cant seem to track on down

not sure about/ The Epson 640 employed 4picoliter nozzles/ i would thought the ink was also thicker, and the ip5200 ink wasthinner.

/I'm willing to wager that the ip5200 wastes less ink than the old 640./ i doubt that very much unless the volume of ink in the ip5200 is small in comparison think the colours are 13ml not sure what they was in the 640 to long ago:?

why are there 2 blacks is one for draft letters as in text printing, reason i ask is, if so both blacks was empty and i never printed any letters just the 6 x A4 and cd's .
steriddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:32 AM   #13

hi websnail

yes

ive got the cartridges do you need the chips with them, ill send them to you i am not using them

regards ste

Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:53 PM   #14

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
hi zakezuke

/But in the past, canons were not horrible on wasting ink, they do more than HP for example/

yes i agree a couple of my friends have the canon i865 that seems a good printer as far as it does not self clean and they do seem to get alot of ink prints from thembut i cant seem to track on down

not sure about/ The Epson 640 employed 4picoliter nozzles/ i would thought the ink was also thicker, and the ip5200 ink wasthinner.

/I'm willing to wager that the ip5200 wastes less ink than the old 640./ i doubt that very much unless the volume of ink in the ip5200 is small in comparison think the colours are 13ml not sure what they was in the 640 to long ago:?

why are there 2 blacks is one for draft letters as in text printing, reason i ask is, if so both blacks was empty and i never printed any letters just the 6 x A4 and cd's .

The i860/i865 did self clean, it's cleaning was based on a timer. It also has two blacks like the ip5200. One was for plain paper, the other for photo paper. Now... i'm at a loss as to why the big black would be used on CDs.... though as of late my dark blacks are looking rather matte on CDs, and i've been wondering about that. I would agree both blacks seem to be going down as well. all my tanks are reading 40% I have printed 40 discs, and 23 8.5x11 paper pro according to my offical canon report, 50 pages of plain paper. (note, a typical ratio of 4:1 disc to label exists for me, though my last batch was 3:1 with a few 1:1, it would explain my my ratio is close to 2:1).

But if you want a i860/i865, great. These are as good as the ip4000 and I'd certainly pick one up if I saw one in a 2nd hand shop even if I had to shell out for a new head they are worth it.

But if you are worried about waste, the current generation epsons have a nice means of extracting the waste tube and those waste ink in buckets. So far this ip5200, while i'd agree it seems to be using the big black more often than I'd expect it to, so far it seems about as efficent as the ip3000.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:05 PM   #15

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
ive got the cartridges do you need the chips with them, ill send them to you i am not using them
Thanks Ste'... I sent you a PM.

As to the waste thing... I've found that the iP4000 was wasting less than a third of the ink that my D88 printer was during cleaning cycles.. A deep clean on the Canon was still lower waste...

Could swear to the priming routine but I can say that I base my results on having fitted external waste tanks to both the C86 and the iP4000 (which may not have vented all it's ink via the pump) so it's hardly scientific but an educated assumption.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:01 PM   #16

Hi websnail

/Thanks Ste'... I sent you a PM./

whats a PM :?:?

Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:03 AM   #17

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
/Thanks Ste'... I sent you a PM./

whats a PM :??
heh... PM = Private Message (look up in the top right next to your "Loged in as streiddler")
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:11 AM   #18

to Steriddler,

To some extent you are focusing your ire on Canon because they ripped you off
on ink. When truth be told, each and every ink jet printer manufacter is just begging to be be the one to rip you off. The current trend line by ALL inkjet printer manufacters is to force the user to use ever smaller cartridges that can't be easily refilled.

The fact is inkjet printer manufacters make their money off of selling you EXTREMELY pricey ink--and not in selling you printers. But to addict you to their pricey ink--first they have to hook you into buying one of THEIR printers---and not someone elses make of printer. Because then some other inkjet manufacter gets to be the ones who rips you off and not them. But they still figure once they sell you that inkjet printer-----THEY HAVE YOU FOR THE LIFE OF THAT PRINTER as their own private cash cow to be milked regularly in the form of buying PRICEY INK CARTRIDGES.

But you and your short fuse fixed their wagon and put a stop to their nefarious scheme by smashing their no armed bandit that was eating you out of house and home. Effectively ending your addication to the chipped Canon CLI-5&8 cartrige line.--so to a certain extent--------hoorah for you.

Then you come on thse forums bragging about doing this dirty deed of murdering your printer that horrifies some but also thrills some of us with less courage.

In a rational free market your next move would be clear---sadder and wiser you just pick another inkjet manufacter that rips you off less------------only to be told that Canon is still---OEM cartridges to OEM cartridges---the very inkjet printer manufacter that rips you off the least.

But to get a picture of exactly how much various inkjet printer manufacters are ripping you off, its just a simple matter of calculating how much they are charging you for ink in the form of OEM cartridges.

I have done that calculation regarding the BCI-3&6 cartridge line---its something on the order of $2600 US dollars per US Gallon of usable ink for Black text ink and $4300 per US gallon for the colors. Before you say what a rip off, consider that many competing printers weigh in at over $10,000 a US gallon.

Now pair that with the fact that quality refill ink can be had RETAIL for just under $100 for that same US gallon when ordered in Gallon lots---more like $150.00 when ordered in more managable sizes like 8 ounces.

Now pair that with the fact that the older non-chipped Canons have some of the easiest to refill cartridges on the planet---and your solution becomes clear.

GET YE A NON_CHIPPED CANON that you could have bought just a year ago all day long at any store selling printers--and refill your own cartridges.--anything that uses the BCI-3&6 non-chipped cartridges.--the i860&865 are just one of many models now discontinued---but still available if you do some creative shopping.

Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:49 AM   #19

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
i bought a month ago an ip5200 so far i have managed to get 6 x A4 photos and 6 discs printed on and the ink is now out, not bad for set inks costing 45 pounds plus.clean clean clean clean thats all these printers do in between printing.

Stay well clear of these new canon printers they are not worth the hasel or expense.

printer is now out of action perminant as in size 8 boot

i have good print head if needed , only used on one set cartridges

offers welcome

If all you did is 6 A4's and 6 cd's then something is really wrong with your printer. If it is still under a year then it would be idea to call Canon and getting it exchanged.

I've done some pretty hefty printing on mine and have not recieved any warnings about low ink and peeking in at the printer I can still see ink in the reservoir tank.

It might be leaking ink or doing unneccesary cleaning cycles.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:18 AM   #20

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
If all you did is 6 A4's and 6 cd's then something is really wrong with your printer. If it is still under a year then it would be idea to call Canon and getting it exchanged.

I've done some pretty hefty printing on mine and have not recieved any warnings about low ink and peeking in at the printer I can still see ink in the reservoir tank.

It might be leaking ink or doing unneccesary cleaning cycles.
This I would agree with. I have a V1.0 rom on my ip5200 and while I'll have to say I don't know at this point what ink is used where, I certainly have recieved more than 6 cds and 6 A4s. I would agree mine makes odd noises after printing a CD, which could be a cleaning cycle, but I don't know if it's actually using ink. I suspect it's more along the lines of roller cleaning

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote