Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 17, 2006, 2:52 PM   #1

i bought a month ago an ip5200 so far i have managed to get 6 x A4 photos and 6 discs printed on and the ink is now out, not bad for set inks costing 45 pounds plus.clean clean clean clean thats all these printers do in between printing.

Stay well clear of these new canon printers they are not worth the hasel or expense.

printer is now out of action perminant as in size 8 boot

i have good print head if needed , only used on one set cartridges

offers welcome

steriddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:02 PM   #2

I expect to do the same with my ip6600D as soon as the ink runs out.

SLK
ashel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:23 PM   #3

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
i bought a month ago an ip5200 so far i have managed to get 6 x A4 photos and 6 discs printed on and the ink is now out, not bad for set inks costing 45 pounds plus.clean clean clean clean thats all these printers do in between printing.

Stay well clear of these new canon printers they are not worth the hasel or expense.

printer is now out of action perminant as in size 8 boot

i have good print head if needed , only used on one set cartridges

offers welcome

Technicaly this is not a forsale system... but I will say that tray is worth a few quid to say the least, like 15 to 20. I'm sure someone wants those cartridges even though they were used and empty. The head, well, you should take the time to clean and cap it, but it's difficult to do without a printer.

But yes, e-bay is really your friend in this regard. Odds are you can get with ease 35 for the head, 15 for the tray from someone cross the pond. Perhaps even more. Odds are you would have been better off selling the printer rather than smashing it, that way you could have sold the whole thing, or the head / body / tray / empty cartridges.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:57 PM   #4

I'm a little confused by this thread as i purchased the 5200 2 weeks ago and after [i admit] minimal printing,maybe 7-8 A4's on Canon pro paper my ink levels have just about moved enough to notice a white slither in the inklevel bars?

I always make a habit of only turning my printers on when ready to print and then turning them off straight after,so maybe i've just been avoiding endless cleaning cycle's from the 5200.It's a little quick for me to say for sure but i love the Canon Pro paper when used with this printer and my older R800 is on the verge of taking a back seat to be honest! This is my first Canon printer and i have only used the Pro paper so far but for less than the priceof 8R800 cartridges [in the UK]i'm happy.
tonyli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:24 AM   #5

well i am a bit short tempered, if you can re sell it rather than smashing it.

wont be long before canon are botom of the market again as far as printers are concerened they are geting gready. epson went down the same road, they cornered the market many years ago , not happy with that they brought chipped ink cartridges out, there sales dropped world wide then every body went over to canon because they wasnt chipped and printer quality was good. not any more they are not worth the money they want in ink refills
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:32 AM   #6

hi tonyli3

i found with my printer the levels drop all of a sudden from full to half way, since buying this printer i have never cleaned the heads manualy yet the amount of ink which was in the sponge tray at the bottom inside the printer was saturated, which is evendence of uneccessary automatic cleaning.

dont think i will be buying another printer, it is far cheaper to have my photos printed at the shop
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:45 AM   #7

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
hi tonyli3

i found with my printer the levels drop all of a sudden from full to half way, since buying this printer i have never cleaned the heads manualy yet the amount of ink which was in the sponge tray at the bottom inside the printer was saturated, which is evendence of uneccessary automatic cleaning.

dont think i will be buying another printer, it is far cheaper to have my photos printed at the shop
I imagine you would be able to examine the waste sponge in detail.

There are automatic cleanings, as there are in all inkjets. I don't know the exact amount on this model canon, my data is limited to the ip4000. I know if you don't print for 24hours there is a cleaning, time time = larger cleaning cycle. They are reasonably necessary, as they are handy for keeping the ink flowing, and as a cleaning cycles typicaly don't use the whole cartridge and a head costs as much as the ink or more, this is pretty reasonable.

But in the past, canons were not horrible on wasting ink, they do more than HP for example, but not as much as Epson.

As far as printing in a shop, this is likely cheaper, so long as you are printing things are a size they offer a good deal on.

Now... there is an alternative, there is "cartridgeworld". I don't know for a fact if they offer ink for the ip5200, but they are worth a shot. Bulk ink exists for the ip5200 and to me seems a more reasonable way of protesting ink prices, which I doubt anyone would disagree are spendy.

Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:22 PM   #8

hi zakezuke

im sorry i disagree with the auto cleaning is needed, i have had printers for many years, my first serious printer was epson 640 which did not self clean and i think in total i manualy needed to clean it around 7 times. This printer was used 8 hours day for around 2 to 3 years on regular basis one day all three red lights came on and at the time i was told it was failsafe built in by epson that once it had reached a certain amount of print jobs it self de activated. the printer was sadly desposed of and a little later i came across an instalable piece software that could reset the printer :sad:.

so even all them years ago epson was playing silly buggers. i must say i feel very dispondant i have spent rather a lot of money on digital camera equipment and at present i am unaible to print my photosfrom homewithout paying thru the nose.

even using these photo printers isnt cheap, i would expect this day and age they would be. maybe the best thing to do is stick with analouge film camera.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:24 PM   #9

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
hi zakezuke

im sorry i disagree with the auto cleaning is needed, i have had printers for many years, my first serious printer was epson 640 which did not self clean and i think in total i manualy needed to clean it around 7 times. This printer was used 8 hours day for around 2 to 3 years on regular basis one day all three red lights came on and at the time i was told it was failsafe built in by epson that once it had reached a certain amount of print jobs it self de activated. the printer was sadly desposed of and a little later i came across an instalable piece software that could reset the printer :sad:.

so even all them years ago epson was playing silly buggers. i must say i feel very dispondant i have spent rather a lot of money on digital camera equipment and at present i am unaible to print my photosfrom homewithout paying thru the nose.

even using these photo printers isnt cheap, i would expect this day and age they would be. maybe the best thing to do is stick with analouge film camera.
The Epson 640 employed 4picoliter nozzles, though not owning that model I can't say anything about it's self cleaning. I know there was a button to make it clean it self, and there was a cleaning station which odds are had a pump attached directly to the pladen. Both Canons and Epsons have such fail safes, but Epsons in my experence waste bucks of ink, as to be expected when you have your head sitting on a mechanical pump sucking the ink.

The Canon has smaller nozzles, but is thermal and not micropiezo. I don't know the volume the ip5200 wastes, I have not owned it long enough to even guess, but I have to say thus far i'm printing as much as I did on the ip3000.

I'm willing to wager that the ip5200 wastes less ink than the old 640.

But as far as the cost of inkjet printing, there are alternatives, you can always buy an epson and buy some aftermarket cartridges. You can buy an older canon and use aftermarket cartridges. You can self fill if you so desire, or you can buy a HP businessjet/office jet which take huge 35ml or 70ml cartridges. Or go to a print lab.

Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:10 PM   #10

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
hi tonyli3

Hi steriddler,I will keep an eye on the ink levels and see how i go,i'm not a prolific printer most of the time but do agree UK oem ink prices can be stupid.
tonyli3 is offline   Reply With Quote