Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:29 AM   #31

The claim about greyscale using pure black would seem suspect as you'd need to use a pointelist technique (ie: dots to create shading) which is what lasers do and quality wise it would look awful.. I'd sure be interested if someone had proof otherwise.

Overall though I think you've reached a point where perhaps you want to look at other products and vote with your feet.

Just as a final thought, have you ensured your printer is properly calibrated for the printhead alignment. That might provide some reason for the quality being poor for you...

I honestly can't say I've seen the same quality issue on my own printers...

Best of luck...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:41 AM   #32

"The claim about greyscale using pure black would seem suspect as you'd need to use a pointelist technique (ie: dots to create shading) which is what lasers do and quality wise it would look awful.. I'd sure be interested if someone had proof otherwise."

Yeah, I sincerely doubt that claim as well.

"Just as a final thought, have you ensured your printer is properly calibrated for the printhead alignment. That might provide some reason for the quality being poor for you..."

Yes, and in fact, I have two MP830s here that I've been testing this issue on. I am extremely picky about black text. The thing that annoys me so much is that the black text is so good on simplex from these printers that I have trouble distringuishing it from laser output. While duplex printing, however, as a result of composite black being produced, the text quality looks vastly inferior. And anyone can see this easily by simply testing fast/draft with duplexing on and then off on both the MP780 and MP830. Again, the difference is also noticeble in other text quality modes, but it's far more obvious when printing draft/fast. In standard with duplexing, the text is much lighter and less crisp. Everyone I know who has these printers, after I mention this issue, tells me, "Wow, you're right." Stratman can certainly notice the difference: "The Fast mode quality was substantially improved without Duplex turned on! The text, besides approximating near laser quality, is reasonably black and sharp. Text in the Fast and Duplex mode was more greytone and pixilated"
And since Canon technical support also acknowledges that black text will look inferior when duplex priting, I feel pretty secure in what I'm stating in this thread.

"I honestly can't say I've seen the same quality issue on my own printers"

I can't really speak for other printers, but I do know all MP780 and MP830s have the black text duplexing issue.
Webslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:05 PM   #33

Thanks for explaining why inkjets cannot produce greyscale output like monochrome lasers.

So, is there any benefit in selecting "Greyscale" within CD-LabelPrint when printing what appears to be a black and white image?

I do really like my MP830 for all the things it does, despite the complaints registered.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:45 PM   #34

I don't have a MP830 but was going to buy one until I saw this discussion. Curious, if you removed the color ink cartridges from the machine will it just not print at all in duplex mode or will it be forced to use the black cartridge? Can someone with this model try that and let me know? I don't have a problem loading the color cartridges only when I do photos anyway.
bwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:54 PM   #35

The printer won't work without colour ink.

Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:00 PM   #36

Really, bummer, I take the color cartridge out of my HP printer and it works fine. Any recommendations on an alternative all-in-one printer with auto duplex as duplex is one of the main features I wanted. I am tired of manually doing it and so often with manual the darn printer graps two sheets for some reaon (when they have been through the printer once already) and messes up the order on a bigger job. I see HP has it on their 400-500 dollar all-in-one but don't want to spend that much.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:09 PM   #37

The MP830 will not print anything with any colour cartridge missing.
Sorry, I have no recommendations for other printers at this time. But others here may.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:29 PM   #38

Found a compromise solution for this duplex printing. Hack the driver by telling it to print different paper type rather than the plain paper.

Try to print it with :

1. Media type set to Hagaki. But of course use the plain paper in your tray. Print qualtify can be set to standard or high, or custom with halftoning set to diffusion. I think it does not matter that much, but of course setting it to high is recommended.Settingit to custom, high on qualtiy bar, and halftoning set to diffusion, looks the best for me.

2. Page size set to custom 8.5 x 11 inch.

3. Turn duplex on.

4. When hitting ok, you will be asked to set the correct Hagaki paper size, please ignore it.

5. Then go onto print it, and the duplex printing for Hagaki paper looks much much better, and almost match the quality of printing with duplex off on plain paper.

Hope you find this helpful.
davidwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:55 PM   #39

David, thanks for the tip, but i think folks have found a way to make the print quality better, the issue is the ink used for duplex is composite black meaning you use the colored ink wells for black even though there is a black cartridge in the printer when doing duplex. Canon says it is to avoid smearing/blead through. Not sure if you realized that, so if you can would you check and see if this workaround forced the 830 to use true black ink cartridge. Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:24 PM   #40

Hi bwiegand,

Can you let me know how other folks fix the problem, since you said other people found a way to makethe print qualitybetter ?

Yes, I know the issue, that when you duplexing, canon will use the composite inks to produce black color. The work around that I found, does seem to me that it will force the canon driverto use black inks, since I can see that the text lines looks crisp and more blacker than when I told the driver to use plain paper.

Do u have the canon mp830 printer ? If you do, can you do me a favor andtest it out to confirm me that my hack around also work on your side ?

davidwon is offline   Reply With Quote