Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:10 PM   #1

Duplex text printing from all applications on fast mode produces horrible results with two MP830s I've tested on two different systems. If I turn duplexing off (when priting text), the text quality looks much better on fast mode.

Has anyone else noticed this issue with printer driver 1.00 with the MP830s?

I know this isn't related to photo printing, but I thought I'd ask since there seems to be some MP830 users here.

I suspect this is a driver 1.00 issue (in Windows XP pro, service pack 2). It seems weird to me that merely turning on duplexing makes the text quality so much worse.
I guess, unlike the MP780, the MP830 printer driver has a very serious bug that likely has it using the color inks to produce black text instead of the pigment black ink when printing text in duplex mode. I find this bug to be extremely bothersome. The problem exists when duplexing text in other printing modes, but it's most apparent when duplexing text on fast mode.

If anyone can confirm this bug, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Webslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:58 AM   #2

from printing preferences:
Print Quality
Selects your desired printing quality.
Select one of the following to set a combination of a print quality level and a halftoning method.

High

Gives priority to print quality over printing speed.

Standard

Prints with average speed and quality.

Fast

Gives priority to printing speed over print quality.

Custom

Allows you to set a combination of the print quality level and a halftoning method or to set each parameter separately.
Set... is enabled and you can open the Custom dialog box to make a custom setting.

Standard mode gives me very good quality - near laser - on decent injet paper. In Fast mode, the print quality suffers - I would call it a Draft mode - but it is a bit faster. High quality mode isbest print quality but maybe takes twice as long.
I tried printing on all 3 quality settings on cheaper multipupose paper. The differences in qualityseemed the same, though the flaws were more accentuated on the cheaper paper.

There is a Custom mode you might want to fiddle with to see if you could get a compromise. Otherwise, the standard modes is not that much slower than the fast mode and the print is significantly better.

If you really want fast,cheap and good momochrome printing, look at the current deal on the Samsung ML-2010laser printer that can be had for $30 after rebates from instore purchase atOffice Depot. I think today may be the last day for this. Not too shabby considering that the starter toner covers 1000 pages, can be refilled for cheapand costs less than ink from Canon to print the same amount of pages.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:05 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. This issue deals specifically with duplexing on or off--only.
When duplexing is turned on the text quality suffers significantly (same quality settings).
If you could test this, I would appreciate it (please check text quality with fast mode with duplex on and then with duplex off). Thank you.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:40 PM   #4

Just tried printing the same data without duplex selected. The Fast mode quality was substantially improved without Duplex turned on! The text, besides approximating near laser quality, is reasonably black and sharp. Text in the Fast and Duplex mode was more greytone and pixilated, although thetone of the black could be due to the pixilation caused from less ink deposited.

I wonder if Duplex mode (or any mode) uses the color inks to make black. That would be very bad and wrong since the printer has a cartridge specifically for text.

This is something that should be voiced to Canon. I certainly don't want to pay color ink prices for monochrome black text. Maybe a driver or firmware update (are these things flashable?) would correct this unfortunate performance issue.

Until that happens, and unless someone comes up with a setting change that you and I need to set, use standard mode when printing duplex forbetter print.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:00 PM   #5

Even duplexing with standard mode text printing is worse than standard mode without duplexing on. And yes, I believe it's using color ink cartridges to produce the black text when duplexing in ANY mode.

If duplexing is off, the proper ink cartridge is used to produce black text.

I've confirmed that the duplexing text printing bug exists with printer driver 1.00
on Windows XP service pack 2 with two different MP830s: one using firmware 1.04 and the other with firmware 1.06

I strongly suspect this is a printer driver issue/bug.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:14 PM   #6

I guess Canon doesn't care?

"Thank you for your inquiry. We value you as a Canon customer and
appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

At this time, Canon USA has announced no plans to update the existing
driver regarding this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this
may cause.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

xxxx
Technical Support Representative"

I find it fairly reprehensible of Canon if they aren't interested in fixing this issue. Perhaps others who find this problem annoying should also contact Canon.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:07 PM   #7

From Canon Tech support:

"Your comments have been forwarded to our engineering group.
Unfortunately, as there are no plans to further develop the drivers or
driver updates regarding this issue, there may be no "fix" to the issue
you have described. As duplexing in fast mode will use the color ink
tanks, this is a part of the units design, and will probably not be
changed."

Uhh, why would printing black text using color ink cartrdiges
be by design, exactly?

Brutal.

Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:51 PM   #8

So it's cool with Canon that duplexing is an inferior mode when it shouldn't/doesn't have to be?

Guess this makes more money for Canon from selling more Canon inks.

Yet another reason for alternatives (re: refillable cartridges - chipped or software workarounds that don't tattle in the flash memory).

Very dissapointing indeed!
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:52 PM   #9

From Canon Technical support:

"The unit was designed to print using "composite black" when duplexing. Composite black is created by using color inks. Unfortunately, we do not have answers as to why Canon USA made this decisions, these decisions are determined by the developers at Canon INC."

So inferior black text while duplexing is by design on the MP830. Inexcusable

This printer is a terrible choice if you want to print text in duplex mode. Period.

This decision on Canon's part basically renders the included duplexing option useless, if you're halfway serious at all about text quality.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:28 PM   #10

Okay, so this is Canon's excuse:

"Composite black is least likely to show through the other side of the document, which may occur when using black ink and printing on both sides of the paper."

If the reason given for using composite black while duplex black text printing in all modes is due to the belief that black ink shows through the other side of the document, then why can I print text on one side, flip the page over, print text on the other side, and not experience any issue with ink showing through to the other side? I, obviously, disagree strongly with the decision to do this (as do serveral other MP830 owners that I know of), and again, the black text quality always looks inferior when duplex printing on the MP830 using any quality setting than if one weren't duplex text printing.

At the very least, there should be a setting in the print driver to use the proper black ink tank when printing text in duplex mode. I can't imagine why anyone, knowing what I know, would choose the MP830 to duplex print black text--unless that individual doesn't care at all about text quality.