Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:55 PM   #1

I have a relatively new Epson R200 which had a bad magenta print head on arrival. Epson replaced the heads on warranty, and it printed great. I was so pleased with the results. I have a CIS system which works fine and I use a utility to print a test page every other day to keep everything fresh.

However, my computer had to be rebuilt and in the process, I let the printer sit idle for maybe 2 or 3 weeks without use. When I got things back working, the Cyan nozzles wouldn't clean up with repeated cleanings. Oddly, the test pattern showed that all nozzles were firing, but many were misaligned. I had never seen anything like this and haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem. So I am including a picture of both the nozzle pattern and part of the print pattern I print regularly.

If I print in high resolution microweave, the results are not too bad, but on highspeed printing, the results are streaked as in the test page. I have used both water and window cleaner on the parking pads with no change in the nozzle pattern. It is always the same, so I'm sure it isn't air bubbles. Since all nozzles ARE firing, I'm wondering if it's possible for a tiny amount of dried ink to be stuck or lodged to the edge of the tiny port holes, causing the spay to be deflected.

About the only thing I haven't done yet is buy special nozzle cleaning fluid and possibly force it throught the heads. But I'm really reluctant to do this as the printouts are still marginal.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and/or suggestions for a remedy?

[img]file:///g:/graphics/temp/print%20nozzle%20pattern%20sample.png[/img]

[img]file:///g:/graphics/temp/print%20test%20pattern%20sample.png[/img]

gshantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 5:43 AM   #2

Since it looks as though the right amount of ink is being delivered, your diagnosis is quite likely correct.

You could try a few drops of window cleaner (ammonia based -- others don't do much) on the pad at the far end of the printhead path and see if the intermittent wiping of the heads on this has any effect.

If it doesn't, cut a strip or two of lint-free cloth, wet it with cleaner, lay it along the printhead path, move the heads over it, pick up the ends and pull to and fro -- follow up with a head clean.

If this doesn't work, the trouble may be deeper seated than just the nozzles.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 3:39 PM   #3

If it's any consolation I've got this same problem with an R200 and an R300 printer so I'm going to be trying Osage's suggestions shortly too although using cleaning fluid from MIS as ammonia cleaning fluid is next to impossible to source in the UK.

The trick is finding some lint free cloth... :?
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:55 PM   #4

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Since it looks as though the right amount of ink is being delivered, your diagnosis is quite likely correct.

You could try a few drops of window cleaner (ammonia based -- others don't do much) on the pad at the far end of the printhead path and see if the intermittent wiping of the heads on this has any effect.

If it doesn't, cut a strip or two of lint-free cloth, wet it with cleaner, lay it along the printhead path, move the heads over it, pick up the ends and pull to and fro -- follow up with a head clean.

If this doesn't work, the trouble may be deeper seated than just the nozzles.

While this thread is a bit old, I wanted to let any further readers know the solution to my dilemma. I followed your advice as best as I knew how and talked to the supplier of the CIS system. I was just hitting the wall. I was so convinced that it was in the print heads, I arranged to package the unit up and send it to a repair facility. Before shipping, I had to remove the CIS system and put original carts back in. Thought I better at least do a test print with the carts and WOW! Printed perfect.

I was amazed, but now knew that it HAD to be my CIS system and started looking for a reason. To make a long story short, I noticed that there was a small bubble in the tubing (about an eigth inch long) and that it never moved while printing a full page of cyan. Always before these pulled on through into the cart. So I used a syringe to pull fresh ink into the cart and then did a couple cleaning cycles. I now get perfect test prints. This all sounds so obvious and simple after the fact, but these small bubbles had never given me trouble before. Also the absolute consistent patterns threw me off course too.

Thanks for everyone's help and providing such a great forum.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:57 AM   #5

Looks like you may have had (or still have) an air leak somewhere that broke the vacuum.

The most usual place is at the point where the cart seals onto the exit spike, but might also be at any of the tube attachment points or even a pinhole in the tube.

If the problem recurs and re-priming the cart again fixes it, this will be what's wrong.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:03 PM   #6

gshantz wrote:
Quote:
While this thread is a bit old, I wanted to let any further readers know the solution to my dilemma. I followed your advice as best as I knew how and talked to the supplier of the CIS system. I was just hitting the wall. I was so convinced that it was in the print heads, I arranged to package the unit up and send it to a repair facility. Before shipping, I had to remove the CIS system and put original carts back in. Thought I better at least do a test print with the carts and WOW! Printed perfect.

I was amazed, but now knew that it HAD to be my CIS system and started looking for a reason. To make a long story short, I noticed that there was a small bubble in the tubing (about an eigth inch long) and that it never moved while printing a full page of cyan. Always before these pulled on through into the cart. So I used a syringe to pull fresh ink into the cart and then did a couple cleaning cycles. I now get perfect test prints. This all sounds so obvious and simple after the fact, but these small bubbles had never given me trouble before. Also the absolute consistent patterns threw me off course too.

Thanks for everyone's help and providing such a great forum.
thanks a lot for your update! it's possible that i might have the same problem like yours! i'll check that at home someday.

CKA
Capt_KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:25 PM   #7

websnail wrote:
Quote:
If it's any consolation I've got this same problem with an R200 and an R300 printer so I'm going to be trying Osage's suggestions shortly too although using cleaning fluid from MIS as ammonia cleaning fluid is next to impossible to source in the UK.

The trick is finding some lint free cloth... :?
Just as a final update on this..

Turns out that the Cyan ink is the problem..

I resorted to desperation and asked on the comp.periphs.printers newsgroup and the ink was given as a possible vector so I cleared out the existing ink and replaced it with a fresh, unopened batch I had.. I took the further precaution of adding a little distilled water to replace any evaporation.. Pulled the new ink through the system using a syringe via the bottom of the cart and then replaced it in the printer.

Yup... you guessed it.. it worked!

Did the same with the R200 and whilst that has suffered from my over exuberant attempts to fix it (thinking it was the base of the head) it did seem to do the trick on that one too...

So, bottom line, if you get the same issue... try adding small amount of ammoniated cleaning fluid and/or distilled water and pull it through the loop.. It may well solve the problem..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:03 PM   #8

Thats interesting I have been checking on what course of action I would take if my heads became clogged. I was thinking that placing a cartridge filled with cleaner and flushing with that may work.

Any thoughts?
Teddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:56 PM   #9

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Looks like you may have had (or still have) an air leak somewhere that broke the vacuum.

The most usual place is at the point where the cart seals onto the exit spike, but might also be at any of the tube attachment points or even a pinhole in the tube.

If the problem recurs and re-priming the cart again fixes it, this will be what's wrong.

Well, your suspicions were well founded. With time, the same problem HAS recurred. Since I have already replaced the individual cartridge, and the tube connections seem secure and tight, I'm wondering just how to determine where the leak might be. It must be very minute. Since a genuine Epson cart worked fine, I would think the spike itself is OK. That only leaves tubing. :?I dread the thoughts of it, but maybe I should try to get new tubing and change it out.

Any other ideas?

Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:02 AM   #10

The most likely points are where the tubing attaches to the cart (if it's further up the tube you'd see bubbles), the "0" ring in the cart outlet (around the spike) or a leak in the cart itself.

I'd pick the "0" ring, for I've had leakage at that point myself, but it's quite easy to run some sealant around the tube attachment point to be sure it's not that.

Some CIS carts double as refillables and have a blanked-off refill/air exit point that you pierce when manually refilling and then reseal -- see if you have those and check there isn't a leak at the unused orifice.