Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:22 AM   #11

Here's a thought and it's the only thing I can come up with that might support your issue..

Have you checked the USB cable isn't faulty, overpowered or otherwise bad... Likewise have you tried using a brand new power cable to ensure you don't have a bad one with a poor quality fuse or similar...

Also, check for things like hairs, or anything else that might conduct electricity and cause a short if it ends up in the wrong place.

Does sound pretty odd though to say the least...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:54 AM   #12

So many different things could cause problems. I seriously doubt this is due to your systems in general. With that in mind, a specific component may create issues, for instance a bad power cable that shorts out. Trying new cables, as well as a different USB plug,is not a bad thing to do. (You already have a new power cable with the new printer you received.) Another issue could be the power from the wall plug may spike enough to fry your printer, although one would think that other "delicate" peripherals such as modems would show issues to if they were on the same circuit.

Since the error has occured multiple times with the same printer, albeit a "repaired" one, my strong assumption, once the cable factor is taken out of the equation, is that the specific printers are the root of the problem. Either bad components or incorrect assemblyis causing the problem. You'd think that the repairman would catch this but that may not happen.

I would suggest trying a couple of things: Try your new printer and see if it errors out too; try your new printer out at someone else's home firstand see if it has issues, then if OK, try the new printerin your own home; try your old "repaired" printer out at someone else's home. Use new cables if possible.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:24 PM   #13

Great Suggestions everyone. Unfortunately the new printer did not come with any cables or paper trays. Because it was a warranty repair, they didn't ship anything that wasn't attached to the "main" unit.

I will try the new one tonight though, and let you know how that fares. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Maestrokneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:33 PM   #14

Maestrokneer wrote:
Quote:
Great Suggestions everyone. Unfortunately the new printer did not come with any cables or paper trays. Because it was a warranty repair, they didn't ship anything that wasn't attached to the "main" unit.

I will try the new one tonight though, and let you know how that fares. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Given that many times in the past I have pursued the dark side of impatience I beg you to take the advice that I so often ignore even when I tell myself this..

Wait!

I'd seriously find a new/different USB cable AND look for a compatible power cable as well before you plug in the new printer and potentially go the same route all over again.

USB cables are cheap to buy (cheaper than waiting for printers at least) and the power cable is a bog standard one too that shouldn't be hard to source from a radio or some other similar electronic gizmo around the house.

Seriously, I'd take the slow, methodical approach and reduce the chances that your issue is cable related.

Best of luck...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:52 PM   #15

That's a good point about frying the new one without trying different cables. (though as far as the scientific method goes...the best approach would be to try the new printer with the old cables. Otherwise, I'll never know if it's the printer or the cables. Though I guess that's a moot point as long as I have a working printer. :-) )

I was using the same USB cable for my old Epson printer, and didn't have any problems. But the power chord is the new one that came with the Canon. I'll try getting new cables for both andsee if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion. Scientific Method be damned, I just want my printer to work!!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:24 PM   #16

Maestrokneer wrote:
Quote:
That's a good point about frying the new one without trying different cables. (though as far as the scientific method goes...the best approach would be to try the new printer with the old cables. Otherwise, I'll never know if it's the printer or the cables.
Well unfortunately that sounds all too familiar.. I'd be the daft arse who'd use the new cables find that it all worked and then just feel the urge to test the old ones to prove it wasn't all a fluke...

... and thus be left with a dead printer because I couldn't stop the voices! :G

Stick with a working printer
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:52 PM   #17

LOL....that's too funny. Sadly, that doesn't fall too far from home for me either.

Well good news (so far) about the new printer. I bought new power and USB cables and plugged it in. I've turned it on and off twice now, and no error message.......yet. I'm not very hopeful on this lasting, and I still haven't gotten past the magic number 3 (which is how many prints I got out of it the last two times). I'll keep you all updated on whether it works.

(though we'll never no why now will we? :?)

websnail wrote:
Quote:
I'd be the daft arse who'd use the new cables find that it all worked and then just feel the urge to test the old ones to prove it wasn't all a fluke...and thus be left with a dead printer because I couldn't stop the voices! :G"
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:22 PM   #18

Just wanted to post one final update on the status of my Pixma MP830.

It appears the new power & USB cables (or was it the new printer?) worked.

I printed all 100+ wedding invitations and envelopes and RSVP cards without a problem. (...well....there was a problem with the auto-sheet feeder being finicky...but aside from that, no fatal errors)

So my advice to anyone else with this problem is have Canon send you a new one and replace your cables.

Good luck!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:30 PM   #19

Good to hear it worked out...
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:30 PM   #20

UMMMM i couple of weeks ago i got that error 6800 followed by some oriental text... e-mailed canon and today i just got a replacement mp800... everything seemed to work fine until i installed the printer head. Once i installed it i got a message saying that it was the wrong printer head and to install the correct one then out of the blue everything went oriental and got the 6800 error on the replacement unit... so ummm wth? =( please help. lol :P
dest is offline   Reply With Quote