Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:41 PM   #21

This is why I recommend buying a printer at a local place like Staples. That way if there are any problems you can just return it and get another one.

Sometimes that extended warranty comes in handy as well. Getting a 2 year warranty on something that is mechanical and will wear out seems like a no brainer.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:28 PM   #22

i got my mp800 off newegg.com... i have had it for a couple of months and it just started acting weird. =( grrrrrrrrrr 2 printers and i still get the same error? what could it be ummm
dest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:40 PM   #23

I could be completely wrong and in truth I'm sure I am but I got an MP800 from ebay that was "untested" so I knew it was unlikely to work.

The original error was a few detached data cables relating to the scanner but once that was resolved I found that the same issue as yours (to a point) popped up and it kept telling me that the printhead was incorrect.

I did some checking to confirm I did indeed have the right head so I did some more looking at the printer and realised that one of the small copper contacts on the back of the carriage unit had broken off and was obviously resulting in the unit missing that input.

You might want to rule this out at the very least but like I said it's highly unlikely to match your problem.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:39 PM   #24

Well, mine too has the dreaded 6800 error. Happened right after I changed the ink cartridges. Contacted Canon but it is a weekend (naturally) so lets see how mine plays out. I got a laugh out of someone selling one on ebay as-is with the 6800 error...
Redpoint_Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:21 AM   #25

I have no idea if this will help or not but one thing I noticed with the sensor borking is that I had a very bright light aimed near the printer at the time. This definitely affects the sensor (located in the little bump in the metal track on the left side, inside the printer).

You may want to shade your printer to stop external light sources causing problems, and naturally make sure that the sensor is clean and not obscured by ink spillage or similar.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:57 PM   #26

Well, the problem was resolved by a "reconditioned" exchange with Canon. A relatively painless process, although it took almost two weeks to complete, during which time I had no color printer. So far, the replacement looks and works fine, but I am wary of the printer's history (slight cosmetic blems) and no word on any additional warranty. Since the print head was locked and my brand new color cartridges were inaccessable, they sent a set of cartridges, but I did have to specifically ask for them. I dread when I have to change the inks, because that was the event that triggered the 6800 error. No explanation from Canon on what causes this...
Redpoint_Rik is offline   Reply With Quote