Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:35 AM   #1

My Canon pixma MP830 has just come up with an error 6800. Before I phone Canon up to see about the problem I need to get all the ink cartridges out of the printer but everything is locked up.

Is the a way to get the print heads accross enough to take out the carts?

Thanks
dx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

I'm not sure what you mean by "locked up".

1. Turn the printer on.

2. Hit the black "open" button on the left side that opens the paper output tray.

3. Reach in and open the grey inner cover.

The print head should move to where you can get at the ink cartridges easily.

Webslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:52 PM   #3

I get an error 6800 and the machine lights up but other than that its dead. Because of the error 6800. So all functions do not work.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 3:37 PM   #4

dx90 wrote:
Quote:
I get an error 6800 and the machine lights up but other than that its dead. Because of the error 6800. So all functions do not work.
Personally I'd phone Canon and request an onsite visit from a technician (if your warranty covers that) or at bare minimum a repair/replacement given that your warranty is likely to still be valid.

I have no idea what that particular error means for the MP830 but a quick cast around showed that you aren't alone... An amazon review shows the same issue for one user (twice) and assuming that Canon use the same error codes for all their printers it means:

Quote:
EEPROM error [6800] - A problem occurred in writing to the EEPROM.
(reference: MP500 service manual)

So, it's a warranty issue and needs Canon to resolve it..

Hope that helps...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:48 PM   #5

I will get in touch with Canon tomorrow and see what they say. Its only about six weeks old. The error code shows up as 6800 followed by some oriental writing and apart from turningit on and off thats all it will do.What you've found out about the eeprom makesa lot ofsense to me. If I can find out what the code means I will post here with the answer, its not one that appears in the manual.

Thanks for looking.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:26 AM   #6

Had an on-site visit from a technician that turned up the other day withouta telephone callfirst andhe has replaced the heads that he first dropped out of the packet onto the table and the logic board. The printer is still not working due to a sponge fell off and dropped down inside the machine, I explained to him that it looks like its come off the purging unit and he said thats nothing to worry about. I insisted that it should be on there and after some convincing he said he will put it in the recordandcanon can advise to whether the purging unit or justthe sponge had to be replaced. He dropped a screw inside theprinter and had to turn the hole thing upside down and severely shook the printer to retrieve the screw, I don't know if thats why the sponge fell off in the first place or not. I know that if I wouldn't of persisted in the fact it was missing and it should be on there that it would still be like it when finished. He also dropped the scan and duplex assembly off the table onto a wood floor and put two markson one side, I don't know if hes caused any damaged internally as its not working to try it yet.When I asked him about it he just tried to ignore it. I kept having to ask him what is going to happen now and he said it will go in the records and he will put to be advised on there as it has never happened to him before. He needs to come back to fix the rest of the machine, hesaid he didn't know when he would be back when I asked. I have not heard anything from them since then that was two days ago. I think the old sponge will be left down in the machine I just hope that it doesn't cause any fouling in the mechanism. I have no confidence in him at all. Theres a screw put inone of theholes on the outer case that doesn't belong and the two screws with the flange on are put back in the wrong place, I dread to think where the extra screw has come from, I hope its not from inside the printer. A friend of mine has the same one thats how I know about the screws being wrong.

He put the heads in the printer without there being any carts in there and thats how it was left. The new heads had some wet ink on them.

Are these heads tested beforebeing sealed in there packet?

If they are that would explain the wet ink but surely in this case the heads are going to dry out and block before the tech comes back.

Just thought I would keep everyone up-to date.

Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7

My advice at this point would be to document everything that happened, take pictures and send it to you local Canon tech support address with a strong letter of complaint about the technician.

It sounds suspiciously like he didn't have any experience or guidelines on the unit (it's new after all) and I know from experience that the MP750 unit will fall out if you turn the thing upside down.. It should always be removed before you attempt to invert it!

As to the printhead that sounds about normal.. Couldn't comment on anything else but I'd cover yourself and kick up a stink... demanding a new unit (not a refurbished one) in light of the damage which the tech himself has caused.

Best of luck!
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:39 PM   #8

Completely agree. Document with both photos and text what happened. Call and email with your situation and complaints. When calling, you might want to ask firmly but courteouslyto speak with the manager on duty since first level support individualswill not be your problem solvers.

The repair technician sounds either untrained, reckless or hates his job. If you feel that the printer is no longer of "stock" configuration (due to the "customizations" done by the repairman), or, does not function as expected (try every function to make sure it works appropriately), then I would push for a new replacement as yours has taken a beating at the hands of a "qualified" technician. I might even request a new unit on the basis that all the dropped items andknown visible (let alone the unseen)damage will, most likely, affect functioning currently and/or limit the lifetime of the printer.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:36 AM   #9

Hey dx90,

I just purchased a Pixma MP830 myself 3 weeks ago, and I also got the 6800 error after only 3 prints.

So I had Canon ship me a new one, AND I had the old one "repaired" in the meantime (I had wedding invitations to print ASAP). So I just got the "repaired" one back today. Printed 3 things and voila! error 6800 again!

So you're only the second person (excluding myself) that I've heard of having this problem. And BOTH myself and the other guy have had it happen to them twice. I have the brand new replacment printer from Canon still in the box which I haven't tried yet. But my suspicions tell me that won't work either. Since it's happened to two people on multiple occasions, my instincts tells me it's some type of hardware compatibility thing. I don't know. Maybe my setup is frying the MOBO (that's what they said was the part that they replaced).

What's your setup? Here's mine:

AMD Athalon 64 3500+ Venice
ASRock DualSata 939 Motherboard
Windows XP - Home Edition
(bunch of other stuff that's probably irrelevant)

Maybe we can figure out what's going on. Good luck, and let me know.
Maestrokneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:05 AM   #10

Hi

Believe it or not I am still trying to get a new replacement. I have just fixed my old Epson 830u for the time being until everything is sorted.

My setup this way is a ,

DFI Lanparty 875p

Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2GHz

Windows XP - Home Edition, SP2

XP Home Edition is the only common factor here. I hope the Logic board in the MP830 isn't going to become a big problem.