Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:24 PM   #1

Ok, now I've determined that my i960 is toast, I'm overwhelmed by the different models out there. I've determined that I want to stay with Canon, but which model!

My options so far are the the IP6600 or IP4200(under $200), but they semm to have the chipped carts, or go back a little and buy an IP6000 for $120 aprox. Is there a big difference in the photos on the newer models? Enough to make up for the hassle of the chipped carts forcing me to buy OEM ink?

I mostly just print 4 x 6 snapshots, and only occasionally something larger to print. Mostly just vacation shots, and tinkering with photoshop. I loved the quality on the I960 so if I get somthing as good, I'll be happy!

Any suggestions, comments, or input is much appreciated!

mswink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:07 AM   #2

mswink wrote:
Quote:
My options so far are the the IP6600 or IP4200(under $200), but they semm to have the chipped carts, or go back a little and buy an IP6000 for $120 aprox. Is there a big difference in the photos on the newer models? Enough to make up for the hassle of the chipped carts forcing me to buy OEM ink?
Personally I haven't spotted much difference between the iP4000 and iP4200 units which I have running next to each other doing the same print jobs. There are some differences in the colours for the Magenta and Photo Black but otherwise the inks are the same (well they are in terms of 3rd party inks).

Given the extreme costs of chipped cartridges I'd recommend going with and older model if you can. When things are resolved with alternatives for the chipped printers then you can easily buy one in later years or consider flogging your non-chipped model on eBay.

I'd wait on other opinions too though..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:31 AM   #3

mswink wrote:
Quote:
Ok, now I've determined that my i960 is toast, I'm overwhelmed by the different models out there. I've determined that I want to stay with Canon, but which model!

I mostly just print 4 x 6 snapshots, and only occasionally something larger to print. Mostly just vacation shots, and tinkering with photoshop. I loved the quality on the I960 so if I get somthing as good, I'll be happy!

Any suggestions, comments, or input is much appreciated!
The i960 was good, really good. Still is a tough unit to beat. The ip6000 is in all fairness not as good. The head has less nozzles so we are talking a peformance hit, but it's out there, and it does take standard cartridges, vs the new canons which again in all fairness increased the price of their inks by about $3.50 per. If refilled cartridges are your bag, by all means consider it. Something like the i960/ip6000 would cost ya about $60 to refill the tanks, were as the ip6600 would cost you about $81.00, on a good day, before tax.

It would not be foolish to consider a head replacement on your i960 if that's the issue, or another i960 if you can find one. There are a couple onsale on amazon.com though 3rd party sellers. Even spending $170 for one given the extra $20 per cartridge set OEM, not to speak of aftermarket, depending on your use you'd make back the extra investment fast.

Steve gave a favorable review for the ip5200, and I own it. I can't in all fairness contrast it with the i960 as I don't own one, but it is a sigfigent improvement over the ip3000 and mp960, basicly the ip4000. I'm manualy refilling mine, this is a hassle, but given the cost of OEM, the hassle is acceptable.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote