Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:03 PM   #1

i am torn between getting either the canon (e.g. iP6600D) or epson (e.g. R340)? I have a budget of ~$200 and primarily looking to buy a great quality photo printer. i already have a printer dedicated to text/documents...so this would only be used to print only photos. PLEASE HELP!* i need advice!
dll15151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:25 AM   #2

I have the Canon and it does a great job on photos, in my opinion.

But I wouldn't buy another one because it uses chipped cartridges that cost about 13 dollars each to replace. There are six of them.

For that price, you can keep buying new Canon 4200's and throw them out each time the ink runs out. The Epsons don't have that problem, but are probably more prone to clogging.

Just my two cents.

SLK
ashel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:52 PM   #3

dll15151 wrote:
Quote:
i am torn between getting either the canon (e.g. iP6600D) or epson (e.g. R340)? I have a budget of ~$200 and primarily looking to buy a great quality photo printer. i already have a printer dedicated to text/documents...so this would only be used to print only photos. PLEASE HELP!� i need advice!
I'm not sure there would be any advantage to buying the r340 over the r240/r220/r200, other than pictbridge and cardslots. If you don't need those than consider the r2x0, which you can get the r220 for $71 from the Epson referb store, the same price as the ink. The r200 you can get for less than the ink, $59 when they have them in stock.

The r800 is $200 at the epson referb store, shipped. That is "worth" looking at esp at that price.

The iP6600 on the otherhand is a step up from the ip5200/ip4200, though I lack direct experence with the iP6600. The downside to the iP6600, or the Epson R2x0/R3x0 is the lack of a pigmented black for text, but as you have a document printer this is not an issue. I can speak about the ip5200, it's quite brillient.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:00 PM   #4

I have had the ip6600D for a couple of months and it does great.* I bought this one for work, I have the i950 at home (or is that i960..).* They do excellent color and I've had no clogging issues.I'm debating about getting an Epson r340 for work also, since we have a need to print on CD's.* I'm worried about clogging issues.* I got rid of an epson c60 when I got the new canon.* I was very happy to toss it since I didn't print to it very often and basically had to replace the ink cartridges each time I wanted to use it.* (the ones in it would be so clogged that I'd use the whole cartridge on nozzle cleaning)*As far as color goes both Epson and Canon do great. * *If anyone has experience with the r340 I'd love to hear if it has* as much trouble clogging as past epson printers.* (Clogging is why I'm no longer looking at the Epson r800, I read several user reviews that said it was notorious at it.)k-I have no idea why it scrunched everythign together, I can't figure out how to make it show paragraphs .
kirstena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:35 PM   #5

kirstena wrote:
Quote:
I have had the ip6600D for a couple of months and it does great.� I bought this one for work, I have the i950 at home (or is that i960..).� They do excellent color and I've had no clogging issues.I'm debating about getting an Epson r340 for work also, since we have a need to print on CD's.� I'm worried about clogging issues.� I got rid of an epson c60 when I got the new canon.� I was very happy to toss it since I didn't print to it very often and basically had to replace the ink cartridges each time I wanted to use it.� (the ones in it would be so clogged that I'd use the whole cartridge on nozzle cleaning)�As far as color goes both Epson and Canon do great. � �If anyone has experience with the r340 I'd love to hear if it has� as much trouble clogging as past epson printers.� (Clogging is why I'm no longer looking at the Epson r800, I read several user reviews that said it was notorious at it.)k-I have no idea why it scrunched everythign together, I can't figure out how to make it show paragraphs .

CD printing on the ip5200 is pretty good... the black isn't as dark as i'd like but I suspect that's more of a disc issue and not an ink issue. My ip3000 was darker but it mixed colors for black for CDs. I'm sure costco's TDKs would be just peachy.

I'm sure the r200/r220/r240/300/340 will be better regarding clogging than the C series, but my r200 experence was not great. Nozzle cleaning uses the same basic technology, a pump attached to the pladen which sucks the ink from the head directly. Effective is a tad wasteful.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote