Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:51 AM   #11

Wow, now I think I am back to being undecided. Honestly, my focus is not text printing. If I need to make a copy or print something from the web, as long as it is legible, that is fine. The main focus is getting a great photo printer. Dye vs. pigment? Archival inks sound great, but I can always reprint. But, I do have some photos that are favorites that stay out and the overall color is fading. Canon vs. Epson? I must say that the i850 has never once gave me a problem as far as reliability. I would definetly want to retain that feature. The Canon 6600 still feels like a winner, but the Epson r800 with the ability to print from a 4" roll of paper for panoramas, is quite exciting. Is the Canon 6600 have chipped tanks? Thanks guys.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:03 PM   #12

I have owned one early Epson that clogged and gave me so many headaches that I switched to canon.

I have owned a canon 8200, i850, 6000, and currently a 6600.

All of the canons did a decent job on photos, which was my main concern. Even the i850 did an amazingly good job, for a three color printer and I liked only having to refill only four cartridges..

When my 6000 failed me I got a 6600, not realizing it had chipped cartriges. This is most likely my last canon, because of the chipped cartridges. It makes very good prints, even if I use the ink from my 6000 printer to refill. But I will not abide $13.00 chipped cartridges.

SLK
ashel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 3:19 PM   #13

I was giving some thought to the chipped tanks.* I have always purchased Canon ink for my i850.* So maybe this should not bother me.* I like the thought of buying just magenta when only the magenta runs out.* This is the main reason I switched from HP to Canon three years ago.* If the Epson is more prone to clogging, and I assume that everyone does not have this problem, I may pass on the Epson?* I use two Epson 7600's at work, and they are flawless, but $3000 printers.* Would I be a sucker to continue to buy Canon inks for a 6600 because there are great deals and good quality inks available I am not aware of?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:29 PM   #14

Have looked into some third party ink companies and realize that the ink price is about half that of Canon tanks.* The Canon i8500 would be great, but I cannot find online.* How about the previous recommendation of the iP6000?* It will basically come down to the iP6000 or the iP6600.* I do not use too much ink; since owning my i850, I have only replaced 3 sets of tanks in almost 3 years.* Is this worth the worry of having a non-chipped printer, or considering my ink consumption, is the iP6600 a better choice because it may have better photo quality?*
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:07 PM   #15

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
Have looked into some third party ink companies and realize that the ink price is about half that of Canon tanks.� The Canon i8500 would be great, but I cannot find online.� How about the previous recommendation of the iP6000?� It will basically come down to the iP6000 or the iP6600.� I do not use too much ink; since owning my i850, I have only replaced 3 sets of tanks in almost 3 years.� Is this worth the worry of having a non-chipped printer, or considering my ink consumption, is the iP6600 a better choice because it may have better photo quality?�
If we are talking the new pixmas, with chips, we are talking $13.50/tank on a good day. If we are talking older pixma (ip3000/4000/5000/6000D/8500/i9900/mp780), we are talking $9.60/tank. This does not include the big black which is a tad more, which not all models have it.

But assuming 13.50/tank, we are talking $81 each time you replace all the cartridges in the ip6600D. The ip6000D would be closer to $60 on a really good day, $72 typical. The older i850 would have probally been closer to $50 for it's 4 tanks. Now, over 3 years it does add up even if you replace 1 set per year, but not much more than you are spending now. Bulk ink would likely run as low as $22.50 for hobbicolors for the ip4200/ip5200 and give you enough ink for 4 cartridge changes if you drill a hole and refill your self and deal with the lack of an inkmeter. There are other solutions as well floating at about $2.50/ounce where 2 ounces represents about 4 cartridge changes. Something like the ip6000 would run $40ish when tanking shipping into account, vs $240ish. Not as lightfast as OEM canon, and there are good reasons to buy OEM, just price is not one of those reasons.

While epson would be more for compatables,
http://alotofthings.com/viartshop/pr...category_id=69
you can get compatables for the newer printers. Further, you can get pigment compatables for the r800, which are nothing to sneeze at.

The canons can be refilled so long as you put up with the warnings and or disable the meter, so far as I know. Epsons require a chipreseter or replacement chips. I.e. by throwing money at the epson you can resolve the clitch. Without a doubt bulk ink for an Epson R800 would cost you more, $100 for 2oz of each color from inksupply.com, $160 from media street. I'd guess it's equal to $400 of epson ink.

Epsons are in all fairness more wastefull with ink, not so much printing but with the cleaning, it has a pump directly attached to the pladen which sucks the ink into the waste ink pad. It needs it as it's not a thermal ink jet, the pressure produced by the head is less and the longer shaft is more prone to catastrophic clogging. Epsons are also in more fairness printers which are likely to require more maintance, with windex. If your interested I can did up a link to someone who offers a cleaning manual.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:45 PM   #16

If you don't mind the OEM ink and chipped cartridge, the 6600 is a great printer. If refilling, look for a 6000 at CompUSA or elsewhere. Although not a current model, I got lucky and purchased one (still unopened). For the buck (and refills), 9900 is available with a$100 rebate ($399 after rebate, which is more than your $200 max) and will give ou the ability to do 13x19 prints.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:48 PM   #17

Well, I think I made a decision and will go with the 6600 over the 6000.* It comes down to great photos, and with a limited amount of ink purchased per year, I will not mind buying OEM tanks.* I, like many others, do not like being backed into a corner with chipped tanks, but unless I could find a Canon 8500 or justify buying a 9900 (considering limited amount of prints or if this hobby started to pay back some cash), the 6600 should be great.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:49 PM   #18

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
Well, I think I made a decision and will go with the 6600 over the 6000.� It comes down to great photos, and with a limited amount of ink purchased per year, I will not mind buying OEM tanks.� I, like many others, do not like being backed into a corner with chipped tanks, but unless I could find a Canon 8500 or justify buying a 9900 (considering limited amount of prints or if this hobby started to pay back some cash), the 6600 should be great.
You "might" be able to find the i9900 for the same price as the ip8500 from what i've been told canon is offering a rebate on the i9900. But on the very best day the ip8500 and i9900 will cost you double that of the ip6600. At a cartridge change per year, and OEM, assuming you replace 8 tanks 3 times and 6 new tanks 3 times, we are only talking a savings of $10.00 in favor of the ip8500/i9900, with certianly a bonus in the fact that i'm sure the use of the red and green inks cut down on your other ink useage. The cost increase to the new ink is 30%, but I can say with certainty that the ip6600D is a better choice than the ip6000 in terms of quality and speed. Now I would also have to say that the ip8500/i9900 probally be even better, but cost more than you'd save over 3 years assuming one set per year. You'd have to print at least tripple for cost to equalize in under 3 years. There are good reasons to think about either those printers, but the cost of ink wouldn't enter into the picture at your consumption level.

If you want the i9900, think $400 shipped (newegg.com). Amazon has it for less, but no free shipping and i'm lazy. It's a good price, and the replacement model due in september, which has the same specs but the newer ink.

The ip6600D can be had for under $200ish. The best price I saw was $180 and a $50 rebate from outpost, but presently unavailable. $180shipped from buy.com, $163.99 shipped form amazon.com (limited time) , $174 free shipping from newegg.com. Bigbox stores seem to float between $180 and $200. You can buy it with ease, it is good.

Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:42 AM   #19

Picked up a 6600 from Circuit City yesterday for $149.99. There was a web special once placed into your cart for $157.99, and I asked the sales person to match the price or I would just go home and buy online and use the option for instore pickup. He said he would talk to his manager and that was no problem to honor the price, but the online price was actually $149.99. Sweet! I greatly appreciate everyone's time and energy helping me decide on a printer. I typically over-research to the point of going mad, but there was some great information presented which I love using to make a decision.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:48 PM   #20

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
Picked up a 6600 from Circuit City yesterday for $149.99. There was a web special once placed into your cart for $157.99, and I asked the sales person to match the price or I would just go home and buy online and use the option for instore pickup. He said he would talk to his manager and that was no problem to honor the price, but the online price was actually $149.99. Sweet! I greatly appreciate everyone's time and energy helping me decide on a printer. I typically over-research to the point of going mad, but there was some great information presented which I love using to make a decision.
Hey, good price. I tend to forget Circuit City in my shopping. But nothing wrong with oversearching something like a printer, they are big investments. Not in the printer it self but in the ink you buy for it which to be fair is many times the cost of the printer.

You should be pleased, you can try Costco's Kirkland photo paper for it. It's dirt cheap and looks good. Not nessicarly as lightfast as other solutions but looks good. HP premium photo paper is passable on my ip5200 though it tends to look a little bit blocky, as in such good detail you tend to see artifacts in jpeg files and on many colors you can see some slight banding, but is more lightfast than canon's premium paper.