Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:33 AM   #21

One thing to remember: If you use photo paper other than Canon's then, for best results,you should obtain and install theICC printer profile for that manufacturer's paper, make your own profile or be prepared to fidget a lot with the Canon software color adjustment tool. You could also experiment with the different ICC profiles Canon installs initially when setting up your printer (ie something else besides the default profile). Maybe a search in the forum would yield appropriate settings for your printer and paper combination.

The reason for all this is because each manufacturer's photo paper will respond differently to the inks and their deposition onto the paper from a specific model printer as compared to a different model printer. Color accuracy and resolution can be severely affected.

Fortunately, the major photo paper manufacturer's will have the ICC profile for your printer available for download. For instance, you can find the ICC profile for Ilford paper, sold at Sam's Club, at http://ilford.com/html/us_english/pr...es/default.asp. As to Kirkland photo paper, the actual manufacturer may vary - Kodak (when made in USA?), Ilford (when mande in Switzerland?), ? - and there is no ICC profile available to my knowledge. Kirkland paper can be excellent but you may have to experiment with ICC profiles or software adjustments to get the best results.

Last caveat, the above only applies if using Canon OEM inks. If you use after-market inks then you'll either have to find an ICC profile from the ink manufacturer, make your own ICC profile or fuss with software adjustments unless you are satisfied with the output as is.

None of this is difficult, just takes a little time, a little money spent on experimenting, a an opinion on what you see.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:24 PM   #22

What software/ equipment do you use to make your ICC profiles? I profile substrates at work every week because I work with color files. But the software is tied into a special CAD program called AVA CAD CAM. I know the importance of a proper profile. BTW, I use Mac OS X.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:52 PM   #23

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
What software/ equipment do you use to make your ICC profiles? I profile substrates at work every week because I work with color files. But the software is tied into a special CAD program called AVA CAD CAM. I know the importance of a proper profile. BTW, I use Mac OS X.
It sounds like you want something more than just "eyeballing" it.

I'm apc guy andam at a complete loss when it comes to Mac products. Sorry.

That said, the Mocaco Optix XR Pro and the ColorEyes Display (using the Monaco XR colorimeter) seem to be the best of low to mid range priced monitor calibrators from a variety of reviews I've read.If you want to calibrate your printer as well, there are a variety of solutions, including using your own scanner or purchasing a spectrocolorimeter for more precise profiling. All of these products seem to be Mac supported, so you should be able to find something that fits your needs and, hopefully your wallet.

Great review, though I'm sure you can find more: http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...tion_tools.htm(Dry Creek Photo used to docustom profiles for a reasonable cost. They still have profiles for free DL that are specific to certain photo developers in your area if you want to have your photos printed out commercially, like at Costco or maybe a nearby photo shop.)

A few Pre-Made Printer/Paper Profiles for a fee: http://www.ddisoftware.com/printerprofiles/

For manufacturer info and prices go to http://www.chromix.com/colorgear/?-s...0A4CvxU315A61B. Check out the links under "Profile Building Tools".

There are some newer products, some very inexpensive, but I think you get what you pay for in this arena.

Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:16 PM   #24

I have a Pantone Spyder to calibrate my monitor; I would like to find an inexpensive solution for calibrating* a priner.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:43 PM   #25

You could try the trial version of MonacoEZcolor: http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...Action=Support. There is a Mac version. I think this is an older version but it should give you an idea of printer and scanner calibration from XRite. Also, you can see if it will support your Spyder calorimeter.

Doesn't Spyder make a printer/scanner calibration software and spectrocalorimeter, the PrintFIX Pro? It ain't cheap!

Good luck with the "inexpensive" part of your equation. I'd like to know too.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:29 PM   #26

O.K., back to the printer debate. One final time. I have the Canon iP6600D printer; but I cannot bring myself to open the box just yet (still has factory seal). This is my "crazy" idea: bite the bullet and buy a Canon i9900. Ink tanks can be refilled 4 times for each color for a total of $57.95 (from Inksupply.com). The iP6600 would cost $334.80 to refill 4 times with Canon chipped tanks. How much better is the i9900 vs. the iP6600? The 6600 is capable of 1 picoliters droplets, six colors, 3072 nozzles, 9600x2400 dpi, 8x10 prints. The 9900 is capable of 2 picoliters droplets, eight colors, 6144 nozzles, 4800x2400 dpi, 13x19 prints. FYI: I hate to buy anything new because I drive myself crazy with research! Since it has been a few weeks since I have printed and was not happy with my i850 results, I do plan to print a crap load of pics to make up. Bottom line: is the i9900 worth it?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:28 PM   #27

Some nice reviews of the i9900:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...non_i9900.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRINT/CI9/I9900.HTM

The $64 question is whether you are going to be printing 13x19 prints. If 13x19 is going to be a frequent size for you, then the i9900 is the choice. If not AND you like the output from the IP6600, then keep your IP6600. On the otherhand, if you are going to be printing photos like a madman, the cost of inkwill outweigh the cost of either printer in due time, possibly making the i9900 overall cost of ownership quite reasonable. The $1000 question is how much will consumables cost once you have decided that the output from printer X or printer Y meets your personal approval.

Go to a computer store that will let you make a couple of printouts with your own pictures and see how the IP6600 looks. If they have the i9900, then all the better. The best thing for you to do is look at the output and formulate an opinion. Who cares what others think as long as you like it.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:48 PM   #28

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
O.K., back to the printer debate. One final time. I have the Canon iP6600D printer; but I cannot bring myself to open the box just yet (still has factory seal). This is my "crazy" idea: bite the bullet and buy a Canon i9900. Ink tanks can be refilled 4 times for each color for a total of $57.95 (from Inksupply.com). The iP6600 would cost $334.80 to refill 4 times with Canon chipped tanks. How much better is the i9900 vs. the iP6600? The 6600 is capable of 1 picoliters droplets, six colors, 3072 nozzles, 9600x2400 dpi, 8x10 prints. The 9900 is capable of 2 picoliters droplets, eight colors, 6144 nozzles, 4800x2400 dpi, 13x19 prints. FYI: I hate to buy anything new because I drive myself crazy with research! Since it has been a few weeks since I have printed and was not happy with my i850 results, I do plan to print a crap load of pics to make up. Bottom line: is the i9900 worth it?
In theory the ip6600D can be refilled as well if you so desire, so long as you are willing to disable the meter, as in you won't have a clue how much ink you have unless you look from time to time. You can not presently get the ink from inksupply, but you can from www.hobbicolors.com (e-bay or paypal via e-mail) or www.weink.com. I have bought from hobbicolors once recently and have bought from inksupply a few times. I'm sure inksupply.com will carry the ink for the ip6600D sometime soon, it's already available in bulk from image-specalists.

Thus far the experence for most people has been refill, printer will complain that the cartridges are empty, and after the 3rd warning you get a continue at own risk warning.

The real question is how many 13x19 prints do you plan to make in a year? Costco offers that size for, as well as 20x30. Their prices are $2.99 for 12x18, 16x20 or 20x30 is $9.99 plus shipping plus tax. We're talking $5.00 + like $1.00 each for the 12x18 sizes and above. It's like $2.00 to ship a 11x14/12x18.

But the i9900 is certainly worth it if you need a3+, want access to aftermarket supplies, as prefilled or black cartridges. The output is really really nice, and will be well documented. It doesn't have the same issue with a lack of a meter if you refill manualy, the low ink will tell you when you have 20% less like your i850. I have little doubt that the i9900 would be an improvement, but I suspect you'd need a loop to actually see it. It's pretty cheep right now, and expect the next model to have the same specifications except the ink will cost the same per cartridge as your ip6600d, $108 to $111.60, on a good day. If you are postive you want to use aftermarket ink, want no issues using aftermarket ink, it would not be foolish to shell out for this model. The savings in ink more than justify the $500 pricetag.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:00 AM   #29

Canon i9900 new$379.07 shipped from Amazon.

OEM ink cartridges as low as $5.95 per pricegrabber.com.

Not too shabby.

Now I want one!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:01 PM   #30

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
Canon i9900 new$379.07 shipped from Amazon.

OEM ink cartridges as low as $5.95 per pricegrabber.com.

Not too shabby.

Now I want one!
Where do you see them for $5.95? The best bottom line price I see is $9.67 for the green, $8.60 for the red.
I do see compuvest for $6.58 but shipping is $8.01 for a total of $15.16, which isn't a very good price at all.

I know you can get 3 packs at costco for a good price, even a cyan magenta yellow pack for about $9.60 or $10.30 each (my memory has faded). The rest are only sold in 3 packs of the same color, which one might consider the light inks in 3 packs if nothing else, where I know those drop to $9.60 each.

I think $10/each is pretty much the lowest price to expect on a regular basis, slightly more for singles at a local office store.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote