Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:59 PM   #31

What is the most economical choice for buying third party ink that is as close to OEM, but you do not have to invest $100 or more and have alot of ink sitting around? I like the inksupply.com option for minimal investment and good for about 4 refills, not 11 refills like weink.com.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:59 PM   #32

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
What is the most economical choice for buying third party ink that is as close to OEM, but you do not have to invest $100 or more and have alot of ink sitting around? I like the inksupply.com option for minimal investment and good for about 4 refills, not 11 refills like weink.com.
For your ip6600D, the ONLY option is weink or possibly hobbicolors, and I haven't used the hobbicolors long enough to beable to say fairly whether i'd reccomend it or not. Cyan Magenta and Yellow seem great but i'm not so sure on the dye black. I'll have to print some more to see what's what, or see if the issue i'm not sure about is user error.

Ah here we are
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbicolors-6C-M...QQcmdZViewItem

You can always call inksupply and see if they have the ink for the ip6600D. It should be the same as the ip6000 except for magenta, perhaps black as well.

I should add there are likely other options for the new ink for the new canons, but I don't know them off the top of my head. And in most tests i've seen, the OEM is a wee more lightfast than these guys selling at about 2ish/ounce.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:27 PM   #33

I was curious about an economical choice for the Canon 9900 if I was to buy.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:41 PM   #34

I checked out the ebay link for Hobbicolors. That makes the 6600 a great choice. So could you give some specific instructions as to how to refill the OEM tanks? Basically, this should be fairly easy I assume.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:15 PM   #35

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
I checked out the ebay link for Hobbicolors. That makes the 6600 a great choice. So could you give some specific instructions as to how to refill the OEM tanks? Basically, this should be fairly easy I assume.
Well, keep in mind that right now, there is no way to reset the chips. So in theory eventually the printer will warn you three times it's empty, and to continue without meters at your own risk. I've heard rumors that some printers won't do that, but I've not been able to conferm this. Also the cartridges do have a limited refill capasity before the foam becomes gunked up. Now a i9900 you can get aftermarket blanks for less than OEM, but the ip6600 you'd have to shell out about $13.50 to $14.00 a piece, and you have to use the cyan for cyan, magenta for magenta, etc etc, well unless you swap out the chips.

The hobbicolors kit offers a mighty fine manual for refilling, though I prefer using a #8 nylon machine screw and a #8 tap so I have a handy dandy easy to create a positive seal. But the basic technique is simple... cover the bottom with those tabs you break off when you first use the cartridge, use rubber bands or scotch tape. drill a hole, add ink, cover hole. Don't cover up the vent holes or it won't print. You could just as easily use hot glue to cover the hole you made, epoxy, tape i've not had much luck with.

Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:11 PM   #36

To be safe and ensure that there will be no issues down the road with using third party inks, 9900 is a better choice? Is there a cheap option like the link to ebay for the 9900? I have seen where there are tanks available also for the 9900 with plugs right?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:39 PM   #37

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
To be safe and ensure that there will be no issues down the road with using third party inks, 9900 is a better choice? Is there a cheap option like the link to ebay for the 9900? I have seen where there are tanks available also for the 9900 with plugs right?
The i9900 is far less restrictive than the ip6600D. I don't honestly know if Hobbicolors offrers red and green inks, but their kits for the ip6000D come with blank refillable cartridges, ultra handy. This would cover 6 out of 8 tanks.

There are certainly downsides to using 3rd party ink. For example it's not likely to last as long as OEM in the cases where i've seen, this would include the stuff from mis (www.inksupply.com). I can only say I got 13 cartridge changes on my ip3000 before I got light banding on the black, but I associate that with lack of use and not the ink it self. Others have seen more cartridge changes, however I have only seen 13. The offical life of a canon head is only about 10 cartridge changes the way I crunch their numbers, others have seen as high as 20 or more. Presuming for the moment that aftermarket ink resulted in a bum head which would cost sub $100 to replace ($65 or so), I saved well over $550 vs oem ink.

Also, aftermarket is never a perfect color match, it can be so close you won't notice a difference, and you might even like the difference.

It basicly boils down to this

The i9900 is a $500 printer ($400 from amazon), without a doubt better than the ip6600. Though the drop count is larger, it has more inks, so less of a need to make paterns with the dots to give the illusion of other colors. It's bigger, will take aftermarket cartridges. You will get a warning your ink is low and can add bulk ink, and still get warnings the ink is low.

The i6600 is a $200 printer ($180, $150 in your case). Cartridges will cost you $85ish to replace. You can get cheep bulk ink, but you'll have no clue how much is in there. After many refills you'll have to replace the cartridges, presently at a cost of $85ish. 1/2 the value of your printer is the ink that came with it. There may be chip reseters in the future, but I would not hold your breath.

Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:40 PM   #38

I have no experience with this outfit but they carry refill 3rd-party ink for the for the IP6600 and I9900. In fact, it appears they have inks for just about any Canon: http://www.atlanticinkjet.com/. There are many that sell aftermarket inks for these printers.The real question is whether they are worth more than the plastic bottle they come in.

The $5.95 OEM ink price for the i9900 (not including their reasonable shipping charge)was seen at http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...ype=bottomline.

The inventory listing for this etailor is at http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g.../userid=578179.

Looking at them closer, they may only have red ink for this price, but I didn't go through their whole inventory. My bad.

Worlds better, try looking at Amazon.com where I just saw OEM BCI-6 inks starting at $6.05 shipped (Cyan) with Magenta and Yellow up to 50 cents more. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...863948?ie=UTF8

Entire 8 ink OEM replacements for $72 shipped. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...863948?ie=UTF8

If I used this ink I would look a little harder for better deals. I just did a quicky search. My point about OEM inkpricing for the i9900 is that it is not too rapacious compared to their newest chipped cartridge inks. Finding a satisfactory aftermarket ink will only sweeten the deals on current i9900 (or any other inkjet printer).
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote