Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 11, 2003, 9:07 AM   #1

Default Recommendations on photo printers

Do mostly 8.5 x 11 size. Any success stories, including cost of paper and ink cartridges?
blkhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2003, 12:17 AM   #2

The cheapest printers out there to use would probably be the Epson 890 or the epson 1280 and a continuous ink system from www.inkjetart.com

But as for the basic user consider using the Cannon I950 or the Epson Photo 925.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 4:16 PM   #3

the canon i850 or i950 is a good choice.

I strongly recommend using genuine canon ink if you decide to print photos. I used refills and compatible cartridges for a while, and the color was slightly off. use refills or compatible cartridges only for general use (ie printing documents or web pages). eBay is a good place to get genuine cartridges or compatibles. I've gotten genuines for as low as $4.00 each!

as for photo paper, you cant go wrong with the canon brand. but I prefer to use paper from http://pictorico.com/. the bulk photo glossy paper is fairly cheap (about 50 cents each) and it comes with free shipping.
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 3:07 AM   #4

50 cents each???? Ouch!!!! that hurts.

Try buy.com look up Epson Premium Glossy paper. WHenever you print on your cannon set it to Photo Paper Pro. The biggest difference would probably be the archival ratings between 12 years and 25 years. But this is only really in effect if you have this framed in sunlight conditions.
Old May 14, 2003, 3:13 AM   #5

OH yes I forgot to add that the Epson printers will probably do just as good a photo as the cannon i850 or the i950. I could show you pics from both and you would'nt be able to tell the difference. The biggest adcantage to the cannon is the Speed.
Old May 14, 2003, 6:55 AM   #6

I'm very happy with the Epson 895. I use Preium Glossy Photo Paper and the Epson colour cartridges with it. I've never tried re-fills but the cartridges themselves aren't cheap.

My key lesson learnt with this set-up is a cartridge may look like its exhausted but it may just need a cleaning cycle !
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 5:04 PM   #7

Try getting a kit from inkjetart.com you can breing your ink costs down below anything on the market.