Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1

Help, anyone !

I have an old Tosh laptop/notebook solely for talking to a satelite receiver via its RS232 port, which new laptops lack. It's also useful as a standby in case of failure with my main system. However, it only has LPT printer out put, no USB, and this means I have also to keep handy an old Epson simply to use with the old Tosh.

Can I get some lead/converter for LPT to USB ??
JudgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:36 PM   #2

These people claim to have good tech support where you can ask about a specific application (red text under picture). I don't have personal experience with such adapters. You could probably find one in the UK after you confirm it would work for your laptop. http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cabl...&catid=471
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:40 PM   #3

JudgeT wrote:
Quote:
Help, anyone !

I have an old Tosh laptop/notebook solely for talking to a satelite receiver via its RS232 port, which new laptops lack. It's also useful as a standby in case of failure with my main system. However, it only has LPT printer out put, no USB, and this means I have also to keep handy an old Epson simply to use with the old Tosh.

Can I get some lead/converter for LPT to USB ??

Now... if your laptop pre-PCMCIA? Since it has no usb odds are it has NO cardbus, but network adapters exist for old 16bit PCMCIA, even a few WiFi adapters. Just look for the ones with no copper dots on the top.

On the flip side of things, cardbus rs232 adapters exist, though I don't know how well they would work with your application.

Cardbus usb adapters exist, but they are useless for older laptops without cardbus, which if it has cardbus odds are it has USB already.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:14 PM   #4

Thanks guys - the laptop actually does have a twin PCMCIA slot, which was being used, when I bought it, for a 56k modem, as the previous owner couldn't get the onboard modem to work. That's OK now, so the PCMCIA ports are free.

I wondered about this, but didn't think the printer data could be routed that way - seems I was wrong.
JudgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:16 PM   #5

JudgeT wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys - the laptop actually does have a twin PCMCIA slot, which was being used, when I bought it, for a 56k modem, as the previous owner couldn't get the onboard modem to work. That's OK now, so the PCMCIA ports are free.

I wondered about this, but didn't think the printer data could be routed that way - seems I was wrong.

Yes, in fact dos support for a network printer is better than that for USB printers, well, provided you have a card which is dos compatable, or I believe operating under windows. It will be "somewhat" tricking finding an older network adapter, you'll have to stick to 802.11b or 10mbit network, and even among those there are many cardbus adapters which in all likelyhood will not work. But... more than fast enough for printing. The cards are cheap, the cables are cheap, even a wifi router and network adapter is cheap.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote