Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:44 PM   #1
Lan

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the HP Photosmart 8450 Photo Printer just for personal use. I have been given the usual sale pitch from all the stores I have been to and they all say that they give a really good quality pic. I would say the same thing if I knew that I could sell that printer for that price and get a nice commission from the sale. But in all honesty I do like it but I would like your opinion on the printer and some feed back on maybe should I or shouldn't I purchase this printer, and the reason behind it.

Thanks,

Lan
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:35 PM   #2

Lan wrote:
Quote:

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the HP Photosmart 8450 Photo Printer just for personal use. I have been given the usual sale pitch from all the stores I have been to and they all say that they give a really good quality pic. I would say the same thing if I knew that I could sell that printer for that price and get a nice commission from the sale. But in all honesty I do like it but I would like your opinion on the printer and some feed back on maybe should I or shouldn't I purchase this printer, and the reason behind it.

Thanks,

Lan
If it wasn't for CD-printing, ease of refills, I would seriously consider hp8450. I really don't know the market in Australia but in the states this is technical a close out model... where one has to comb the stores and websites to find one. I know compusa closed them out for $65 per, for a printer one would pay 5 times the price for and be pleased at the fact they got a good deal. It'll do text, and I believe you can swap out the photo grey for a pigment black. Technicaly not a doucment printer and I've heard people complain about the fact it doesn't do borderless text documents, but it will do text, and understands what text is unlike the canons, which I own a few canons.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/12/...l#text_quality

Tomshardware disagrees with me, but i'm suspecting they were printing text with the photo grey cartridge.

I'm not a big fan of multi color cartridges. While it sort of works it self out in the end in terms of cost per page, it is wasteful, something addressed in the hp 8250.

VS the Epson r800, which I believe is still the their cutting edge prosumer photo printer, which I have to say is one fab printer, in all fairness requires more maintance. The r800 is just a printer with no network, no pictbridge, no cardslots, no screen. You could say anyone buying into these printers would be printing from photoshop and doesn't need the feature. But network? Network is handy. But if you want prints which last an absolute age, Epson presently the choice. For aftermarket ink, Epson and Canon are very good.

The ip8500 is in the same class and is also a case that it's being sold in the states only on close out with no replacement model in site.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:05 PM   #3
Lan

Dear Zakezuke,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your comments at least now I have something to go on. I am now confident enough to be able to assess my situation and make a clear choice on what steps I will now take. I basically want a printer that I can get nice quality photos from and I seem to be drawn to the HP 8450. But I will endevour to have a closer look at some canon printers. Thanks once again for your in depth view of my request.

Lan

PS In your opinion do you also think the quality of the paper that you print on makes a huge difference.

Also the the RRP for the HP 8450 is around the $400-450 mark. No thanks to the Australian Dollar we always pay more than our American friends.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:02 AM   #4

Lan wrote:
Quote:
Dear Zakezuke,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your comments at least now I have something to go on. I am now confident enough to be able to assess my situation and make a clear choice on what steps I will now take. I basically want a printer that I can get nice quality photos from and I seem to be drawn to the HP 8450. But I will endevour to have a closer look at some canon printers. Thanks once again for your in depth view of my request.

Lan

PS In your opinion do you also think the quality of the paper that you print on makes a huge difference.

Also the the RRP for the HP 8450 is around the $400-450 mark. No thanks to the Australian Dollar we always pay more than our American friends.
Do keep in mind that on side side of the pond it's a closeout model, not currently in production, and the price for this model is nutty low. Screen, network, card slots, and ink for under the price of the ink? It's still in the top of it's class for a4 prosumer printers, and one wouldn't be foolish spending US$350+ for it, I know many people who paid top dollar for it, and are pleased.

There are those who choose a printer based on what paper they like. But what I was describing was the fact that HP is geared tward the swellable papers. Long dry time and not so water resistant but very light and gasfast. Canon premium paper is microporous. aka the fast dry time. Not so light fast but you can actually spill water on the prints, use a paper towel to remove the water, and get no or minimal damage from the water. The paper towel I used did more damage than the tap water. But I noticed that the swellable type on my ip3000 and mp760 banded heavily, where this was simply not an issue with the HP. I presume that the Canons and Epson dye models, r200 in my case, use a smaller drop but expect more bleeding to compensate for this effect, where HP in all fairness use a larger drop but expect less bleeding. I don't know this for a fact, but it would explain the observed effect.

On the canon front, if in your neck of the woods you can get the ip8500, this is really worth looking at. Again here it's a close out model and impossible to find, but again in the top class as far as a4 printers go, and near as i'm aware going to be replaced by the Pixma Pro 9000 a3+ printer, and shares the same specifications except a change in the ink. I've not met it, so I can't say if the new one is even worth waiting for. I do find the drivers to be not quite as mature as HPs or Epsons. Not owning the ip8500, but I believe the feed system shares enough in common with the lesser models to be able to say small media is supported very well.

I don't want to be like the retail staff and say they all are pretty good, but it does tend to boil down what works for you. One person might wish to make prints of dark gothic cathedrals at night and someone else might like prints of clowns. This is a bit extreme, but for shadows i'd lean tward the 8450 or the epson r800. For tropical fish the canon ip8500 or the Epson r800. For decent photos, barcodes and address labels, well I'd double check the quality of the hp 8450, but the top notch photo printers tend to not be good document printers.

Also on the maintance front

1. hp 8450 - If you buy OEM ink each time your head is new. The waste ink is minimal. I've not met one that complained about a full diaper

2. Canon 8500 - This has a seperate head and cleaning cycles and wastes more ink. The head does have a limited life but can be cleaned or replaced... and Canon does issue new ones under warranty at the drop of a hat. If out of warranty odds are throwing money at it will resolve the issue. It will "eventually" get a full diaper, but you can reset this field, well it's documented here how to do so, and odds are you'll be ok.

3. Epson r800 - This has a pump attached directly to the pladen and sucks the ink directly from the head when going in reverse. While the head would certaintly outlast that of any thermal technology, the fact that it's using pigments and doesn't use expanding gas clogs can be an issue if you don't print on a regular basis. There is a cleaning manual from a gent in the comp.periphs.printers group I can link you to if this is your bag to clean the head, but basicly it can require hands on maintance. A full diaper is a full diaper and need be addressed. There is a waste tube that you can access but requires some disassembly, not something i've done.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote