Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:11 PM   #1

I have alarge amountof old family photos I want to scan. There are a lot of b&w, some negatives, some color. I am looking for a scanner that willproduce quality scansand also has the capability to clean up thepics that are faded, torn, etc. I have PhotoShop and Elements 4.0, but naturally the better the scans are initially, the less I have to fool with them.

I also need a good photo printer. Is there any possibility of getting a good quality scanner and printer in the same machine? If so, does anyone have any recommendations? :?

Thanks for any and all help!

--Deborah

dgoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:17 PM   #2

I have a Canon MP830 All In One that does a good job of scanning and an excellent job of printing for a 3 color plus black ink printer. It can also scan negatives. The ink is rather expensive, as are OEM inks in general.

There are better standalone scanners and printers available, but, for the money, it's hard to beat the MP830 for AIO's in my limited opinion. You could purchase their older model, the MP760, which I think has a slightly better scanner but slightly lesser printhead (and may not come with the ability to scan negatives out of the box), although software does wonders and you can purchase excellent aftermarket ink catridges, or even DIY refills, if you will be using a lot of ink and need to minimize the costs. Of course, there are always trade-offs but these can be acceptable (eg who knows how long the 3rd party inks will last in your printed photos. Then again, you will have the picture digitalized and can reprint).

Another consideration is how big a print do you want? For 4x6 and 8x10 any AIO will do. Larger sizes will most likely require a higher costing standalone printer.

My advice to you, in addition to what you are told in this thread, is to go to a store that has AIO's and standalones setup in which you can try out. Bring a couple or representative photo's and negatives and see how well you like the workflow, ease of use, output quality and expensive for consumables. My local Microcenter is very accomodating, though they may require the prints to be left at the store, so only bring test samples you won't mind everyone seeing.

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:04 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I know Canon's photo printers are supposed to be pretty good. I have a Brother all-in-one, but the quality is not what I want.

The scanner is my main concern as far as quality. The photos can always be reprinted on better printers, but I only want to scan them once. (When I say "a bunch" I mean drawers-full.)

I'm not very well-versed on scanners, and am not opposed to buying two separate machines. It would just be a bit more convenient & space-efficient if both scanner & printer were in one unit, not a necessity. I'd like to stay under $400 for the scanner or scanner/printer if possible.

Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:48 AM   #4

dgoodall wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I know Canon's photo printers are supposed to be pretty good. I have a Brother all-in-one, but the quality is not what I want.

The scanner is my main concern as far as quality. The photos can always be reprinted on better printers, but I only want to scan them once. (When I say "a bunch" I mean drawers-full.)

I'm not very well-versed on scanners, and am not opposed to buying two separate machines. It would just be a bit more convenient & space-efficient if both scanner & printer were in one unit, not a necessity. I'd like to stay under $400 for the scanner or scanner/printer if possible.

This is an image shot and dumped on a cdrom by costco
http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?im...enitza14yz.jpg
This is a scan of the image printed on the mp760 using Image specalist ink and HP premium Photopaper.
http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?im...bc600015fc.jpg
It does accuratly show a slight shift tward the cyan.
same image on wc8 hobbicolors ink (not designed for this printer)
http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ci700013nw.jpg
Accuratly shows the shift tward the yellow/magenta.
HP paper is hardly ideal for my printer, but this is an accurate representation of last years model.

You can without a doubt get better than this if you go seperates, well, at least a better scanner. Canon at the very least offers identical printheads in the mid to high right all in ones as their consumer level printers, in fact the mp900/mp950 offers 7 tanks, an option only available on a printer only sold in Japan. This is under $400, but will certainly cost more to produce prints as the light inks are used in higher quanity. I personaly would enjoy the mp800R, no document feeder, only the 5 ink tanks, but wireless networking. Not so important on an all in one but one less cable.

Epson all in one units are a tad more, how can I say this, well, they let you scan to a memory stick without a pc from my understanding. CD printing though is only an option in their high end AIOs. Epson does make top notch stand alone scanners. Given your budget, it would not be foolish to consider the Epson perfection 4490 and a printer of your choice.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:17 PM   #5

I made a decision and bought the Epson Perfection 4490 a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to even take it out of the box yet. Looking forward to setting it up and seeing what it can do.

I will get a new photo printer later, in the not-too-distant future. Right now scanning is my main concern.

Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:36 AM   #6

Just to throw my oar in. I have purchased an Epson RX530 only a 4 cartridge printer but results from all types of media including film great it has a huge scan resolution and output to these old eyes fantastic. add to that I can refill the carts for $AUD5 per set. I estimate it costs $AUD0.5 per A4 gloss photo.

Terry
Teddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:36 PM   #7

I have just bought a Canon MP830 but can't seem to find a way to scan negatives ? am I missing something here - ta
casman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:33 PM   #8

casman wrote:
Quote:
I have just bought a Canon MP830 but can't seem to find a way to scan negatives ? am I missing something here - ta
Sorry to say the MP830 does not scan film negatives. I swear I read several advance articles that stated the MP830 scanned negatives! It was one of the reasons I purchased it thinking one day I would get around to all those vacation slides and artsy negatives I wanted to print out. Until this moment I was blissfully ignorant of the fact it didn't do negatives. I thought the negative holder was lurking behind the white foam on the lid like I've seen in other printers.

Earlier in this thread I stated that the MP830 could scan film negatives. I humbly apologize for the bad information.

The MP800(R) and MP950 can scan negatives. The MP Navigator is different for the MP800(R) and has theability to initiate negative scans. Iread posts from people that have tried switching MP Navigator versions but they were unsuccessful in getting it to scan let alone scan negatives. Obviously a hardware issue is at play.

That being said, anyone know how to implement film negative scanning on the MP830?

Now, back to eating my hat and figuring out a way to remove foot from mouth.

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:22 AM   #9

My scanner has an intense light source above the negative film position. The scanner bar emites a kind of strobe that you seeon a checkout scanner.

I did try on an old scanner to place a light above but the results were not good. That was why I bought the RX530 for that ability.

Maybe you can build some kind of light box but I think its horses for courses

Anyone want to buy my old scanner that does everything but scan film

Terry
Teddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:45 AM   #10

I'll throw the Epson RX700 into the ring - just bought one, in order to replace R200 (used for CD/DVD printing) and a CX3200, for all printing/scanning jobs (not enabled for negs, but fine on B/W with homemade lightbox).

The RX700 can scan negs and slides, and restore/edit etc in stand-alone mode, although I suspect most of us would use the computer for the latter. what it really excells at is copying DVD/CDs onto printable discs - you simply put original on scanner plate, anywhere (no alignment needed), and it will accurately print onto blank printable disc loaded into tray below !!!

A big bonus is that Cartridges load from front, 3 per side, and are fixed, coupling to print head via an onboard CISS, so to convert to CISS proper is very easy, as all the hard work is already done, and one has just to pop in the CISS replacement carts, and connect them via 2 of 3-way tubes to tanks, either side, or even round the back. Nothing you instal moves, so it's dead easy !

Hope this helps some of you out there
JudgeT is offline   Reply With Quote