Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:53 PM   #1

Hello to everyone,

I am a true virgin to forums. Infact this is my first ever post.

I have an Epson R300 with CISS. I can't seem to rectify the light magenta nozzle check. There are many segments missing and does not matter how many times I head clean it... I have also used the power head clean in the ssc utility and still the same problem. Please help!!! Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

Stav
stav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:17 PM   #2

I have an Epson 1280 and have found that "allowing it to rest" overnight after doing head cleanings appears to "heal it"! For example, when First trying to print, I have several clogged nozzles.So, I do a head cleaning and find I have MORE clogged nozzles. Another head cleaning , more clogged nozzles, ......

I'm not sure why, but more often than not, if I then let it sit for a few hours or overnight and do a nozzle check, it's OK. I'm not sure if air bubbles develop in the head that take time to clear or ????

Good luck!

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:18 AM   #3

Are you sure the cartridge isn't empty?

Sometimes a CIS cartridge will develop a leak at the seal between the ink outlet and the cartridge and allow sufficient air in that the ink is no longer pulled from the tank, or not enough is pulled through to keep up with usage.

Usually the first sign the user sees is bad nozzle checks that get worse as they are repeated.

You might try pulling the cartridge and re-priming it (insert the end of a hypodermic syringe -- without needle, of course -- into the ink outlet far enough to lift the valve, then pull ink through until there are no more bubbles.)

Ink drawn through can be returned to the relevant tank.

As suggested above, there might also be air in the piezo pump which can also cause bad nozzle checks -- these pumps rely on having a solid column of liquid to work against and don't work well when trying to compress air.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:56 AM   #4

I have replaced the cis with conventional cartridges but still the same annoying problem. I have also left the printer rest overnight, but stillsame problem. What on earth is going on? Any more suggestions will be much appreciated.
stav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:17 AM   #5

Looks as though you might have a real head clog (or a failing head -- hope not!)

In case it's dried ink adhering to the head, try a strip of lint-free cloth wet with an ammonia-based window cleaner -- blue Windex, for instance -- (or head cleaner if you can find it) laid along the print path, move the head over it, pick up the ends and pull to and fro.

Other suggestion: Same product fed down the head feed tube (the spike that enters the cartridge) and left overnight or longer.

As a last resort you could pump it through with a syringe, but don't push very hard -- these things can apply more pressure than you'd think and heads are easily broken.

Busted print head = binned printer... :sad:
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote