Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:05 AM   #1

I have had three 4000 heads partially plug. I hesitate to buy a 4200 for the same reason.

I usually used the same brand of compatibles with no problrms. Any recommendations for cleaning the printhead. It is not the carts. Only the magenta carts do not print fully.

I like the print quality but plugging seems to be a problem with this head. I have an HP722with refurbished carts and it has worked reliably for years But I would like better quality.

Should I sick with CAON or buyan HP XXX?

Thanks

Paul.
pdelmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2

pdelmore wrote:
Quote:
I have had three 4000 heads partially plug. I hesitate to buy a 4200 for the same reason.

I usually used the same brand of compatibles with no problrms. Any recommendations for cleaning the printhead. It is not the carts. Only the magenta carts do not print fully.

I like the print quality but plugging seems to be a problem with this head. I have an HP722with refurbished carts and it has worked reliably for years But I would like better quality.

Should I sick with CAON or buyan HP XXX?
To be honest I don't think you're being fair to the printhead... It sounds like your supplier doesn't have very good magenta ink if it's just that particular colour every time and it's the same on each printhead..

I'd seriously think about looking for an alternative.

That aside though, cleaning the printhead is discussed at length on nifty-stuff forums so if you google the site and check using "canon AND print AND head AND clean" keywords.

Make sure you read ALL the suggestions though and take your time... I didn't and managed to toast two printheads and quite possibly a printer by not listening more and trying to take shortcuts.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:53 PM   #3

I've had the same problems. One trick I've found, and I"m surprised it wasn't mentioned on the nifty stuff forum (as far as I found), is to use a can of compressed air. Take the head cartridge out, turn it on its side and put the tube extension on the compressed air, and blow it into the printheads. Ink will fly everywhere including your arm, and keep doing it until all the ink is out.

If you need to bust out the big guns, use some Windex with ammonia (not the new forumulation without ammonia). Or I imagine anything with ammonia. Soak the heads in it whcih will loosen the ink if its dried. You might leave it for a few hours soaking in it, just the bottom layer obviously. Some people have even filled print cartridges with ammonia.

Then repeat the compressed air.

But the compressed air has been the ticket for me.

wrybread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:05 AM   #4

wrybread wrote:
Quote:
I've had the same problems. One trick I've found, and I"m surprised it wasn't mentioned on the nifty stuff forum (as far as I found), is to use a can of compressed air.
It's been mentioned but it doesn't always have the desired result because it can damage the printhead nozzles themselves. Has been reports of success though..

Quote:
If you need to bust out the big guns, use some Windex with ammonia (not the new forumulation without ammonia). Or I imagine anything with ammonia. Soak the heads in it whcih will loosen the ink if its dried. You might leave it for a few hours soaking in it, just the bottom layer obviously. Some people have even filled print cartridges with ammonia.
Just a quick note on this... Ammonia is not something you want to play with unless you understand its properties and its dangers (ie: it can kill you!) so the point to make here is that you DON'T use neat (100%) ammonia but heavily diluted ammonia as in the Windex formula.. Part of the reason Windex are moving to a different forumla is the dangers of ammonia...

I'm reliably informed that you can dilute neat ammonia with distilled water but again you really MUST be careful and only do so outside or in a very well ventillated room.

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:20 PM   #5

websnail wrote:
Quote:
Just a quick note on this... Ammonia is not something you want to play with unless you understand its properties and its dangers (ie: it can kill you!) so the point to make here is that you DON'T use neat (100%) ammonia but heavily diluted ammonia as in the Windex formula.. Part of the reason Windex are moving to a different forumla is the dangers of ammonia...

I'm reliably informed that you can dilute neat ammonia with distilled water but again you really MUST be careful and only do so outside or in a very well ventillated room.

Ammonia plus chlorine, for instance,equals deadly gas!

Death or permanent lung or brain damage BAD.

City water may havechlorine.

Best to avoid concentrated ammonia altogether.

Better to just use, if so compelled,the dilute Windex and keep the area well ventillated for safety.

Even better to think about a new printhead.

Good luck.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote