Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:07 AM   #1

I have both Canon IP4000 and IP400R printer for about one and half years. I am a very light user for photo printing. I normally store my photos but not print that often. Starting from I printed from two Canon printers for the first time, I found that the photos printed too dark and too red. I tried different profiles in color management tab, but no difference.
I tried to do color adjustment (in preference of printer property) <less magneta, no ICM, less intensity>, but Canon's easy photo print software didn't reflect these changes (even it bypass the other setting change, like print preview). I also tried Adobe photoshop elements by choosing Adobe RGB profile, picture looks horrible (no red tint, but not clear color at all).

Then, I started to use Qimage program and set ICC profiles to RGB (I did not remember the exact number....it's certainly not RGBs, Adobe RGB...sRGB + some numbers). It looks a lot better (more similar to the original color shown on the monitor). After that, I have used Qimage for printing.

Recently, I need to reinstall my Qimage program and tried to print some photos. No matter what ICC profiles I chose, the photos are too red/dark or (with one or two profile) too yellow/not clear-vibrant colors. I found the same problems for both printers. So, it doesn't look like it's a matter of maintenance (print head alignment or catridge installation<not properly seated>). I always use Canon photo paper glossy.

I used Epson printers before (785EPX, 960), and they don't have any color problems like this. Also, they do have PIM (print image matching) which produces same(very similar) colors as originals.

To resolve the issue, I was wondeirng if I need color calibration (for printer and/or monitor). If so, what would be the best way (easiest, minimal or costless) I can do.
Or, if there's another solution, please advise me.

kthan
kthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links