Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:01 AM   #1

Folks:

I have an iP4200 that I bought recently (2 months ago and bundled with an A410). I've dug thrumost of the postings for how to setup the printer to print to CD/DVD. HOWEVER, this is what happens when I follow the general instructions for resetting the ROM for CD/DVD printing that I've found to-date.
  1. Printer is OFF but plugged in. [/*]
  2. Hold [RESUME button] (triangle pointed down), hold down [POWER button] and wait a few seconds [/*]
  3. Release [RESUME] but continue to hold [POWER] [/*]
  4. Double click [RESUME]. Release [POWER]
[/*]
Now so far so good. CURIOUSLY, the printer kicks out a blank sheet of paper and the RESUME lightstrobes 4 times, pauses and then repeats the 4 strobes(not mentioned in the directions I've found). Now the next step.

1. Check to see if you are in service mode by clicking [RESUME], then [POWER]. This should cause the printer to print a simple diagnostic that'll list it's ROM number and list CDR SENSOR=OK in red for the last line.
[/*]
This part does not happen. After hitting [RESUME] and then [POWER], the printer goes into shutdown and powers off. If I do step 5 before the RESUME button starts flashing, it ignores the sequence and goes into ready mode. The buttons also do not appear to be alternating gold and green when selections are attempted.

Am I missing something here? I also read somewhere that the iP4200 is different from the iP4000 (which is the original set of instructions and seems to have been copied over). I have a CD/DVD printing tray (purchased from eBay)that I am dying to use on this sucker. I just hope the ROM is not further disabled to prevent CD/DVD printing.

Thanks!
cameraman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:22 AM   #2

Got this from a reliable source for the iP4200...

1. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button.
    (DO NOT release the buttons. The Power LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.)

[/*]
  2. While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button.
    (DO NOT release the Power button.)

[/*]
  3. While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons.
    (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)

[/*]
  4. When the Power LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time(s) according to the function listed in the table below.
    (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)[/*]

That should get you into service mode and from there you can follow the rest of your instructions assuming they are accurate too..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the clarification. However, this is REALLY strange. I followed the directions and get the same outcome. I took more notice of what the lights are doing though.

Upon completion of step 3, the RESUME/CANCEL button flashes 4 times, pauses and then repeats the 4 flashes. This while the POWER button is solid green. Pressing the RESUME/CANEL button (to get to the features) does not alternate the POWER and RESUME/CANCEL buttons.

I DID manage to get it to do what was expected ....... once. I'm trying to get back to that state since I was able go thru and get to enabling the CD printing feature. However, I was not able to confirm the settings by getting back to verifying the printer ROM.

Can anyone explain what I may be doing wrong here? It is really odd that I was able to get to the features once but can't seem to make the effort repeatable.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:44 AM   #4

OK. I think I understand what I did wrong initially. Went too quickly through the initial steps. Now able to repeatably get to the ROM diagnostic.

NOW this is what's happening.
  1. Press RESUME five (5) times and the POWER. This should get me to the Destination setting option. BTW, POWER and RESUME/CANCEL button alternately light (green or orange respectively). So far so good. [/*]
  2. Press RESUME five (5) times to enable CD/DVD printing option. OK. Buttons are still alternately lighting (so I take this as a good indicator that it's going good). [/*]
  3. Press POWER to confirm setting. OK. What happens is that the POWER button flashes and the printer cycles. When the cycling is complete , the POWER button is solid green and the RESUME/CANCEL flashes four (4) times, pauses, and then repeats the 4 flashes.[/*]
At this point it appears that something is not taking the way it should. If I hit the POWER button again, the printer powers off. Restarting and going back into the ROM diagnostic indicates that the reset for CD/DVD printing did not enable.

Thoughts? What does the POWER solidlit with RESUME/CANCEL flashing four times mean?
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:58 PM   #5

cameraman77 wrote:
Quote:
OK. I think I understand what I did wrong initially. Went too quickly through the initial steps. Now able to repeatably get to the ROM diagnostic.

NOW this is what's happening.
  1. Press RESUME five (5) times and the POWER. This should get me to the Destination setting option. BTW, POWER and RESUME/CANCEL button alternately light (green or orange respectively). So far so good. [/*]
  2. Press RESUME five (5) times to enable CD/DVD printing option. OK. Buttons are still alternately lighting (so I take this as a good indicator that it's going good). [/*]
  3. Press POWER to confirm setting. OK. What happens is that the POWER button flashes and the printer cycles. When the cycling is complete , the POWER button is solid green and the RESUME/CANCEL flashes four (4) times, pauses, and then repeats the 4 flashes.[/*]
At this point it appears that something is not taking the way it should. If I hit the POWER button again, the printer powers off. Restarting and going back into the ROM diagnostic indicates that the reset for CD/DVD printing did not enable.

Thoughts? What does the POWER solidlit with RESUME/CANCEL flashing four times mean?

I think 4x the resume cancel = no ink. I'm sure you were looking for a wise guru with the holy manual that will be able to tell you the meaning of the flashing lights, but the manual is none to helpful in this case.

I think I had a similar issue when setting mine, it's hard to pinpoint exactly where I went wrong, but I think you have to look at the instuction block exactly. I've not actually looked at the instruction block carefully.

There are two actions you can do with the buttons, press and hold, and click. Each have different meanings. Clicking power is the equlivent of the enterkey, pressing and holding is the equlivent of reset... I think. Just like with the resume button, pressing and holding is the equlivent of the shift key, clicking is the equilivent of next. Timming is important.

Also, post your rom revision. Should be the V1.xx number on one of your diagnostic printouts. This would be handy for future troubleshooting.

click 5x resume is the destination settings
click 5x resume from there is Australia. You could try 4x times just for laughs, that's Europe. Avoid 1x, that's japan and it will reject your ink, avoid 3x, thats US without cd printing. 4x times to 8x times are in the zone of supporting the ink and cd printing.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:20 PM   #6

Hhhhmmmm. OK. Hard to imagine having depleted the ink cartridges already but I suppose it's possible that the factory cartiridges aren't as topped off as ones that I would purchase for replacement.

UPDATE: The cartridge status still shows all of them as full so unless there's something else that needs to be reset, it wouldn't seem like the cartridges are empty. They still show FULL (not even 3/4 full but FULL).

The ROM version is v1.04. It was originally set for US and is now AUS. So it would appear that SOME of the setup took. HOWEVER,the CD/DVD printing capability is still not enabled (the version number is still printing out in CYAN). So, could it be that AUS is not useable for CD/DVD printing?

Does anyone have a list of the other country settings that could be used? Sounds like the possible error code I'm observing is not described in the printer service manual.

Zakezuke - You are right that there's a timing for clicking the different buttons. I was clicking them too fast. Once I slowed down, I was able to navigate the options more reliably.

Thanks to all forthe great help!

Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:10 PM   #7

OK. I managed to try all of the other country settings. Despite verifying that the country codes change, the indicated "iP4200ASI V1.04" remains inCYAN color. The ASI I guess refers to the country code in use and I have gone thru all of them. If I understand the directions correctly, this should change to PINK to indicate that it is CD/DVD printing capable. Down at the bottom I do get the CDR SENSOR=OK (in red).

Anything missing here?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:59 PM   #8

cameraman77 wrote:
Quote:
OK. I managed to try all of the other country settings. Despite verifying that the country codes change, the indicated "iP4200ASI V1.04" remains inCYAN color. The ASI I guess refers to the country code in use and I have gone thru all of them. If I understand the directions correctly, this should change to PINK to indicate that it is CD/DVD printing capable. Down at the bottom I do get the CDR SENSOR=OK (in red).

Anything missing here?
There are a few choices as to which country you can set your printer too.

I "think" the Cyan color indicates either A4 paper or letter paper as the printer's default. CDR sensor should be red. You'll always see that on the printout.

ASI should change, to Eur, US, AUS, or other countries.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:31 AM   #9

Yeah, the instructions I got say that when CD/DVD printing is enabled that the version number prints in RED instead of CYAN. Maybe for this particular rev of my printer ROM (V1.04) that doesn't happen. The stuff that I see seems to be dealing withV1.06 so maybe V1.04 doesn't change color to show that CD/DVD printing is enabled.

Sounds lke I should go ahead and go thru the rest of the instructions and just see if it works.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Apparently V1.04 is quite different from the more commonly available instructions that reference V1.06. Zakezuke's comment that the CYAN for the version number refers to paper size is probably correct. However, it doesn't matter since the default paper size can be overridden (just have to remember to do that). For V1.04, the version number print out DOES NOT change color from CYAN to PINK to indicate CD/DVD printing capability. HOWEVER, if you follow the rest of the instructions, delete and let Windows reinstall the printer, the option for Disc Printing appears in the PRINTER PREFERENCES. I can safely assume that the printer that came bundled with my A410 is likely a factory refurb or obsolete inventory. Either way, it still serves the same purpose for a killer deal (total cost of printer and camera was less than $125 USD at Office Max a few months ago).

Thanks to ALL for the help!