Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:56 AM   #1

Hey there,

I was referred to this forum by a guy over at Nifty-Stuff ( http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/vie...pid=7194#p7194 )

I'm in need of a Cheap, but good printer to print out my Photoshop-made DVD covers, and DVD prints. I'll only be using this printer to print on Full-Face inkjet Printable DVD-Rs, and special DVD inlays which I got at Riviera Publishing.

You can see in the linked thread what I've been referred too, but I'd like more opinions. Apparently it will cost me a bundle in Ink costs however, and I was referred a Printer where you can simply refill the colour that's running out, rather than get a whole new ink cartridge.

Either way, I just want a decent printer that makes good looking prints and can print on DVD's. Cheap is preferred, that goes for both the Printer and the Ink.

Many Thanks

Xirix

Xirix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Administrator

You get what you pay for ... spend a little more and get somethingbetter! The Epson R series printers do an awesome job printing DVD and CD discs. I have the large format R1800 and it does a wonderful job, the smaller carriage R220 is not too expensive and also prints CD/DVD discs.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:51 AM   #3

Yes well, I have limited funds. I can afford perhaps 50 quid, including start up ink. Does the Epson R series have expensive inks, or the individual refilling?

I really don't need Photo Quality prints, I'm working with more or less basic colours here.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:17 PM   #4

Xirix wrote:
Quote:
Yes well, I have limited funds. I can afford perhaps 50 quid, including start up ink. Does the Epson R series have expensive inks, or the individual refilling?

I really don't need Photo Quality prints, I'm working with more or less basic colours here.
Well, that limits your options. 50 quid is the cuttoff point between your consumer models and your sub-buget models. Sub budget models take thimble sized cartridges which offer high cost per page, where the base consumer models offer more standard sized cartridges. Though i'm hitting amazon.co.uk and the following jump out at me

hp 8050
hp 8250
Epson D68
And slightly above 50 quid
epson r220
canon ip4200

Epsons have compatable cartridges out. Current generation canons do not, but manual refilling is an option. Technicaly there is one company which offers canon tanks but you have to pull the chips from your old tanks to make them work. All three are individual tanks. The D and C models of epson offer pigmented inks. HP's individual tank model is the hp 8250. The 8050 is the head on the cart style where there are referbished cartridges available.

I own the ip5200 which should be similar enough to the ip4200 to report accuratly. It's nothing short of brillient on the microporous (instant dry) papers i've tried. HP's premium paper, the swellable polymer type, isn't as brillent as it shows flaws in the yellow.

Quote:
I'm in need of a Cheap, but good printer to print out my Photoshop-made DVD covers, and DVD prints. I'll only be using this printer to print on Full-Face inkjet Printable DVD-Rs, and special DVD inlays which I got at Riviera Publishing.
This, and the 50quid pricemark, narrows down the choice to the Canon ip4200 and the Epson r220 for things currently in production.

On CDs I can say in all fairness the epson looked better on various types CDs without tweeking, and looked decent on verbatium silvers. The Canon required me to up the intensity to +10 or so for Verbatium whites, and even more so for Fuji.

Canon is by far easier to manualy refill, but the current generation won't meter refilled ink, not until we get a chip resetter or compatable chips.

Epsons are not so easy to refill, but compatable cartridges offer this as a feature, either sponge or spongefree types available. Sponge have a limited life, but non-sponge require vacuum filling.

The r220 is more prone to clogging than the canon, and employs a pump to suck the head, leading to large amounts of waste, so much that an external waste tank is a good idea. Head cleaning may require more agressive techniques, techniques which must be done under the lid. The canon you can remove the head, and the head is covered under warranty. Both models are priced so low that odds are you'll just replace it as their cost is little more than the ink they come with. I lay odds that the epson head should outlast the canon one if it wasn't for the issue of clogging.

The ip4200 is the better general purpose printer. It has a seperate tank for text on plain paper and is pretty dang reasonable in terms of cost. The r220 does not, and while text documents are passable, it'll certainly cost a good deal more per page.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:02 PM   #5

Found it on Ebuyer : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...=&offset=0

Looks good to me, I think I'll stretch out slightly and get it, there's no bad reviews.. and it has the easy-refill thing to ease on the costs.

But how does it connect up to the PC if it doesn't come with a USB lead?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:33 PM   #6

Xirix wrote:
Quote:
[...] Either way, I just want a decent printer that makes good looking prints and can print on DVD's. Cheap is preferred, that goes for both the Printer and the Ink.

Many Thanks

Xirix
you mentioned 50 bucks as your limit. well, that's kind of pushing it unless you find a refurbished printer. i don't know where you are located at, but fry's electronic here in WA state had a sale for a refurbished R320 for $90 minus $50 MIR (mail-in rebate). that baby would definitely do what you were planning on.

talking about inks: epson doesn't use "starter inks." the inks delivered with the printers are the *same* that you can buy separately! the R3x0 and R2x0 family have the advantage that you can equip them with a so-called CIS (continuous ink system) or CFS (continuous flow system). it doesn't matter what they are called, both work the same way, namely to supply ink from an external tank that has silicone tubes leading to the cartridges. the cartridges themselves have chips that auto-reset the ink levels once they reach a certain minimum. so you never have to take the cartridges out and only refill the external tanks. take a look here:

http://printonadime.com/index.html

and check their downloadable video and tutorial. my R300 has been working very well with that system for the past 3 months. their customer service is top notch! my next project would be to equip my R320 with it, too.

more expensive, but obviously with a good reputation is

http://www.inksupply.com/

i had no personal experience with them so you have to rely on the opinion of other forum members.

i am printing tons of DVD covers and am using heavily the direct CD/DVD option of my R300. the learning curve and tricks for successfully printing CDs/DVDs is another story...

cheers,

CKA
Capt_KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:41 PM   #7

Xirix wrote:
Quote:
Found it on Ebuyer : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...ring=&offset=0

Looks good to me, I think I'll stretch out slightly and get it, there's no bad reviews.. and it has the easy-refill thing to ease on the costs.

ah, so you're in the UK. anyway, have you thought about 2nd hand shops or recycling shops? you might get USB cables for pennies (so-to-say)...

CKA
Capt_KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:17 PM   #8

Xirix wrote:
Quote:
Found it on Ebuyer : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...=&offset=0

Pcworld's price is £54.89 if you order it on the website and pickup in the store... that's with VAT, or delivery is free
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...;category_oid=

Their price on the ip4200 is £60

Note you'll pay more in the store, well unless you take a printout where they can match their webprice. Think of it as a bonus for not pestering the humans.

I'm unclear what you mean about easy refill thing, but the r220 does take seperate tanks and it does take compatables. The ip4200 is easier to add bulk ink but no compatable cartridges and you loose your ability to meter if you add ink.

Few printers sold offer a usb lead in the box. Gotta buy it elsewhere. You simply can not attach it to a PC out of the box.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote