Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 17, 2003, 11:25 PM   #1

Default Does the canon i850 print B&W prints well?

I have read a couple of different reviews and opinions that seem to contradict each other about how well the i850 prints B&Ws. I am looking for an affordable printer that does B&W fairly well and the price range looks good for the i850. Can any one help clarify how well this prints B&W's. Is it true that the printer mixes colours to make B&W's?

Thanks
the vapour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2003, 8:03 PM   #2

Yes the printer does mix to print black and whites that does'nt mean you won't like em it just means that the black and whites are going to have a magenta or cyan cast to them. If you really want a printer for doing B&W prints I would reccomend either the bottom line epson series printers or the Cannon i950.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 10:55 AM   #3

NO! The printer does not mix all colours to create black and white photos. If you want to print a b&w photo with black ink only, your input image MUST be also b&w or in grayscale ONLY.

Wayne
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 8:18 AM   #4

Yes sadly it must use 3 colors to do a B&W print since if it uses its large black ink droplet size which is like 20picoliters vs the color ink drop sizes are 2 picoliters. Try printing a black and white photo with your color ink tanks out of the printer then do it again with them in the printer.
Old May 29, 2003, 12:12 PM   #5

You are wrong. If I want to make a b&w print with BLACK ink only I select grayscale and it prints with black ink only even in highest quality. The graphics on plain and coated paper are far better when printed in b&w using black ink and a lot faster too rather than using all 3 colours. So I really recommend printing b&w with black ink on plain and coated paper - it really gives crisper and sharper output.

BUT, if you want to print a high quality photo on some glossy paper it will mix colours to get b&w prints which is normal.

Wayne

PS. The 20 pictoliter droplets are dropped so precisely that you really don't notice them at once.
Old May 30, 2003, 6:45 AM   #6

Really cause the standard human eye can see down to the 3 picoliter drop size. A trained human eye can see down to the 2 picoliter drop. So I wonder how they make them so precise that I can't see them :roll:
Old May 30, 2003, 9:09 AM   #7

I said: 20 pict. are not so visible on PLAIN PAPER not photo paper.

The dots on plain paper aren't so visible as on photo paper because the ink spoils a bit and therefore the dots aren't round so it's not so easy to see them when the image is printed in highest quality.

Old May 30, 2003, 12:12 PM   #8

Hi it says In Steve's reviews that:

"The i850 printer introduces a new printhead with a unique combination of 5 picoliter droplets for coverage and ultra-fine 2 picoliter droplets for photo-realism"

how do you know it has 20 picoliter droplets?

Thanks,
Steve
Colt-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 12:31 PM   #9

Yes I also don't know where did you got this information from? I also think that these are 5 picoliter drops.

Wayne