Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 7, 2006, 4:03 PM   #1

The following Canon printers, iP4000, iP4200 and iP5200 use two types of black ink, a pigment based type and a dye based type.

The dye based black is used for photo printing while the pigment based is used for printing text.

My question relates to how the printer driver decides under which circumstances it uses one as opposed to the other. For example, when printing a *.jpg file with having Glossy Photo paper selected, I expect that the dye based ink would be used. On the other hand, when printing a MS Word document containing text in black format (style) and Plain paper selected, I expect that the pigment based type would be used.

However, when printing a page from a typical web site which is primarily text in black but it also includes some colored images (e.g., a typical Amazon.com display), which, or both, types would be used and where?

Thanks,

Slim

CowboySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 2:28 PM   #2

Good question, maybe if U drop Canon the question. I have the Canon iP4000. Great prints, and I did get it to print on a CD one time. (I have to keep playing with that)
ronk1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:24 PM   #3

Bit of a miracle here but someone posted this:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1275
...yesterday

Someone seems to be reading your mind
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4

Thanks for that link, Websnail!

But not all that suprising that somebody read my mind. I haven't been wearing my AFDB, http://zapatopi.net/afdb/, lately due to the heat and my outbound RF emanations are outrageously strong.

But that post does make sense and it is consistent with my conjectures. I expect that their algorithm, based on user selections, can't be all that complicated and it does follow Occam's Rasor, the simplest possibility.

Slim
CowboySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:46 AM   #5

ronk1030 wrote:The canon IP5200 chips fell off the cartridges and do not know which colour chip goes on the cartridges. I saw that there are numbers on the chips.

Theuns
Quote:
Good question, maybe if U drop Canon the question. I have the Canon iP4000. Great prints, and I did get it to print on a CD one time. (I have to keep playing with that)
theunis is offline   Reply With Quote