Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:35 PM   #1

I recently bought the new Canon PIXMA iP6700D printer and crossed my fingers that I would be able to hack it to do CDR direct printing as described about other canon printers on the "5 Easy Steps" website. I want to announce that the directions for the iP6600D to hack the ROM worked perfectly and the plastic blockage was easily removed as well.*--* ** *However, the template for TRAY D did not work when I tried to make my own.My plan now is to just buy a tray from eBay, but I need to know which one so I don't waste money buying the wrong tray. Does anyone have any insight on this subject?* *--* *So far I love the printer. I have it hooked up to a Mac desktop (running Tiger)*on my network and it's running through printersharing and works great for the other Macs on my network.Thanks,-=Derek
dcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:02 AM   #2

dcline wrote:
Quote:
I recently bought the new Canon PIXMA iP6700D printer and crossed my fingers that I would be able to hack it to do CDR direct printing as described about other canon printers on the "5 Easy Steps" website. I want to announce that the directions for the iP6600D to hack the ROM worked perfectly and the plastic blockage was easily removed as well.�--� �� �However, the template for TRAY D did not work when I tried to make my own.My plan now is to just buy a tray from eBay, but I need to know which one so I don't waste money buying the wrong tray. Does anyone have any insight on this subject?� �--� �So far I love the printer. I have it hooked up to a Mac desktop (running Tiger)�on my network and it's running through printersharing and works great for the other Macs on my network.Thanks,-=Derek
The thing is, you are the first person i'm aware of who bought the ip6700. Someone like my self can checkout the Japanese or UK website, but it doesn't look like the ip6700 has been released there yet. Same with Hong Kong. On other printers I can at least find similar models and find pdfs in other countries that state clearly tray type whatever, but not in this case.

I'd like to say you need tray type D, I don't know that for a fact, as I've not tried try type D in tray type C printers. But tray type D or C would at least be a start, and you have some assurance you can sell it to someone if it fails (though not on this site).
http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=canontraybmymelody3tq.gif

You can always try this template, without bothering to cut out the hole in the center. Do a diagnostic print and make sure CDR senor is OK in red at the bottom (resume once, power once), also make sure the printer is sticking to the mode you are setting it to.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the response, sometimes it's a pain to be a pioneer and play with bleeding edge technology. I'm happy to know the printer accepts the EUR ROM and is willing to print to CDR, I just hope I can find the correct template eventually. As I had mentioned I already tried to create a TRAY D template and it was continually rejected.*What did you mean by "resume once, power once"?Also, what's the consensus on needing the holes in the template to be reflective?Thanks, -=D
dcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:12 PM   #4

dcline wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response, sometimes it's a pain to be a pioneer and play with bleeding edge technology. I'm happy to know the printer accepts the EUR ROM and is willing to print to CDR, I just hope I can find the correct template eventually. As I had mentioned I already tried to create a TRAY D template and it was continually rejected.�What did you mean by "resume once, power once"?Also, what's the consensus on needing the holes in the template to be reflective?Thanks, -=D
There does not seem to be a consensus but I can say from personal experence anything from white oil based paint to my template printed works. Silver, foil, or cutting seems to not be required. This means you can print out a template with a black backdrop and white aligment holes, and just glue to the right amount of posterboard for testing.

<hold resume> <hold power> <release resume> <2x click resume> = service mode
<click resume> <click power> = diagnostic print
2x<click resume> <click power> = rom diagnostic printout.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote