Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:10 PM   #1

The Low Ink warning (Prepare New Ink Tanks)came up onthe magenta ink (CLI-8M) in my Canon MP830 and wondered about this before but haven't seen or asked for advice.

Just how long can one go after this warning shows before you risk damaging the printhead?

What should I use to guage when to actually replace the cartridge?
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:33 AM   #2

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
The Low Ink warning (Prepare New Ink Tanks)came up onthe magenta ink (CLI-8M) in my Canon MP830 and wondered about this before but haven't seen or asked for advice.

Just how long can one go after this warning shows before you risk damaging the printhead?

What should I use to guage when to actually replace the cartridge?
The new chipped Canons won't let you go beyond the point of no return so I wouldn't worry too much... When the tank is truly empty it'll refuse to print and demand a new cartridge.

If you're going with Canons own (OEM) cartridges you just buy a new one and go but if you're looking at cheaper alternatives you need to do some searching around (on this forum) for suppliers, potential problems, and the like..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:28 PM   #3

websnail wrote:
Quote:
The new chipped Canons won't let you go beyond the point of no return so I wouldn't worry too much... When the tank is truly empty it'll refuse to print and demand a new cartridge.
Thank you for the info websail.

Now I won't waste ink/money by changing them out too soon.

Good to know the cartridge is "good to the last drop". (a reference to an American television commercial for coffee a few years ago.)

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote