Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:29 PM   #1

So we had visitors and they wanted me to burn their digital pics on a dvd-r. I have printable dvd-r and an epson r200. But when I used one of their pictures as the image for the dvd-r, it was like a ghost image. I have tried printing it as a photo, text, mixed, and still to no avail, it doesn't work.

Is the R200 not capable of even minimum quality for printing photos? Or is the file just too large and too much color depth for the printer to handle.
goldenset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:03 AM   #2

goldenset wrote:
Quote:
So we had visitors and they wanted me to burn their digital pics on a dvd-r. I have printable dvd-r and an epson r200. But when I used one of their pictures as the image for the dvd-r, it was like a ghost image. I have tried printing it as a photo, text, mixed, and still to no avail, it doesn't work.

Is the R200 not capable of even minimum quality for printing photos? Or is the file just too large and too much color depth for the printer to handle.

The r200 is a top notch photo printer. What you describe sounds like you are trying to print an image on a non printable disc. That's the only thing I can think of which would be an issue.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:25 AM   #3

they're printable discs. it's not the first time i've printed on them, though usually just texts. but when it gets to images, it's a different story.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:13 AM   #4

I assume you're using the Epson PrintCD utility to print with?

What brand of disk are you using?, the Epsons can produce very good quality prints on good printable disks, and stunningprints when usedwith the Verbatim Photo Printable surface disks
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:52 PM   #5

the toshiba's from costco's special. been using them for at least a year now, though they're not printable all the way to the hub.

i'll run some more cleanings, maybe that'll do it. epson's notorious for wasting a lot of ink during cleaning.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:15 PM   #6

goldenset wrote:
Quote:
the toshiba's from costco's special. been using them for at least a year now, though they're not printable all the way to the hub.

i'll run some more cleanings, maybe that'll do it. epson's notorious for wasting a lot of ink during cleaning.*
toshiba has printable DVD-Rs? hmm, interesting, i never saw them at costco. anyway, i'm using a R300, which is pretty much the same printer with some additional gadgets, and i'm printing out pictures on printable DVD+Rs on a regular basis. i'm using costco's TDK 16x PrintOn DVD+Rs and Verbatim 16x hub-printables, though, and have absolutely no problems with images. the only thing with Verbatims is the poor absorption of ink: even after 5 days of drying, the ink still smears .

my advice:
#1. try other printable brands.
#2. don't waste your ink with cleaning. especially the R200 is one heck of an ink gozzler! instead, do the the nozzle check instead. if all nozzle print fine (or maybe just a handful are clogged), then it's not the printhead that is your problem.
#3. i suppose you print with Epson's PrintCD: try to print your CD on plain paper! the settings are all set for CD/DVD medium, but you use paper instead of your disc (simply lift up the CD/DVD tray). if the picture comes out fine, then it's your "printable" DVD-R that doesn't work.

hope this helps. cheers!

CKA
Capt_KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:27 AM   #7

i meant tdk, the other company that starts with a "T". LOL

have actually done the nozzle check at least 3x. even printed on paper. sames results. before i open another pack of cartridges, i did one cleaning cycle. not much better. did another one. then it's better. haven't done any more since been out of town. we'll see this week then. else, just open up another cartridge.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:24 AM   #8

Capt_KA wrote:
Quote:
goldenset wrote:
the only thing with Verbatims is the poor absorption of ink: even after 5 days of drying, the ink still smears .

Don't know if the Verbatims in the USA are different from those sold in Europe but absolutely no problems with them here, either the standard printable or photo-printable surfaces, both dry in a few minutes even disks with a predominantly heavy black background. It may be an Epson ink thing as I'm using Canons here with ink from InkJetGoodies and Hobbicolors.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:09 PM   #9

phaedra1106 wrote:
Quote:
Capt_KA wrote:
Quote:
goldenset wrote:
*the only thing with Verbatims is the poor absorption of ink: even after 5 days of drying, the ink still smears .

Don't know if the Verbatims in the USA are different from those sold in Europe but absolutely no problems with them here, either the standard printable or photo-printable surfaces, both dry in a few minutes even disks with a predominantly heavy black background.* It may be an Epson ink thing as I'm using Canons here with ink from InkJetGoodies and Hobbicolors.
hmm, you might be right with the ink because i am using a CIS. i can't report about genuine epson ink since i didn't have a chance to use epson ink on a printable disk, yet. i'm only curious why the other printables absorb ink so much better...

anyway, thanks for the feedback!

CKA
Capt_KA is offline   Reply With Quote