Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1

Ipull up the print queue and noticed that after a document is done printing, it stays in the queue with a status of "Printing" (showing size "943 KB/945 KB" constantly). I waited more than6-7 minutes and the status did not change and the document behind it did not print.

Just to be clear, the 1st document showed a status of "Printing" and showing size "943 KB/945 KB" constantlyfor more than 6-7 minutes even though it had finished printing. At this point, the printer went into sleep mode. As soon as it did that, the 1st document cleared out of the print queue, the printer woke up, and the second document printed.

I've searched around and tried reinstalling drivers (updated one from canon's site). I've even called canon tech support (they say it's a windows problem). I connected my older HP printer back up and had no problems printing the same document. The document was cleared from the queue once it was done printing (possibly 5-10 second lag time).

any thoughts?? i'm at my wits end here! :evil:
mipatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:30 AM   #2

Have you checked that bi-directional support is enabled or looked at the spooler settings and tried changing them to see if that improves things.

I've noticed the same sort of behaviour once or twice with my MP500 but it hasn't repeated itself recently so I haven't needed to track it down myself.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:08 AM   #3

thanks for the input.

under the printer properties, i have tried bi-directional support on and off. when it's on, i have the problem. when it's off, i get an error about turning on bi-directional, but the first document prints fine. after that however, no other documents print at all until i turn it back on.

where can ifind thespooler settings? the only thing i see under the 950's properties is a checkbox to enable/disable printer spooling. (i've tried that too)
carl669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:25 AM   #4

carl669 wrote:
Quote:
where can ifind thespooler settings? the only thing i see under the 950's properties is a checkbox to enable/disable printer spooling. (i've tried that too)
Think you may have hit the printer Pooling by mistake which is a whole other technical feature...

Under properties... click/select the Advanced tab..

Look at the information in the middle section starting:
Quote:
Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster
Play with those settings a little and see if that improves things at all.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5

thanks. i'll give it a try when i get home. i'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:28 AM   #6

well...i played around with the settings under the Advanced tab, but still getting the same behavior.

any other suggestions or have you heard of anyone else having this issue? i did a search on google and found some people with the problem, but no one had a solution.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7

carl669 wrote:
Quote:
well...i played around with the settings under the Advanced tab, but still getting the same behavior.

any other suggestions or have you heard of anyone else having this issue? i did a search on google and found some people with the problem, but no one had a solution.
Only other thing I can think of that might help is to remove the printer from your list of printers and then plug it into a different USB port.. Try moving it off a hub, if it's on one..

Beyond that I'd spend some time looking for generic issues with the print queue rather than just for the Canon MP950 and see if someone else has had a similar issue but with a different printer.