Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 21, 2003, 2:26 PM   #1

Default Can't decide - Epson 785EPX or Canon i950

I have an old Epson Photo 750 that isn't working correctly and need a new photo printer. I can order an Epson 785EPX for $79 plus shipping. The Canon i950 is about $250 plus shipping. I can afford the Epson now easily, but $250 is at the very max of my budget.

Any advise as to if there is $160 difference between the two?

Thanks, Steve
Pavlograd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2003, 2:52 PM   #2

Steve

Have you thought about the Canon i850. Reviews have been good and it runs about $150 on the web.

phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 11:21 PM   #3

OH yeah as far as the colors go ususally you will have color matching problems when using aftermarket ink. The only place I have heard good results from is www.inkjetart.com
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 11:38 AM   #4

Default 785exp old

785EXP is old and only uses 4 colors if i remeber right. I have a Canon S820 which everyone likes on here and it cost $116 when i bought it from buy.com and since that was last year it must be lot cheeper now. IT has 6 inks and replacable user heads and optical ink lever chekers which i like more than Epson cart chip. Haven't really put the printer thru any paces but starting to been busy moving. I found the printers which bypass the computer aren't worth the added exspence since the screen are so small yoiu can't really see what you are doing and no picture can't use some tweaking from picture program. Also canon S820 comes with a cool software called stich which takes pictures and makes them into a panaramic view. Pretty neat just need to take the pictures fo that.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 12:44 PM   #5

Nah the 785epx is a photo printer which means it uses the 6 color ink system. Plus I know personally from experience that it is 6 colors. It was also the first generation of epson printers to use the card slot that allows you to print pictures. off the card. The only epson photo printer that did'nt use 6 colors I think was the photo EX and the Photo 750.
Old May 23, 2003, 1:13 PM   #6

I ordered a Canon i950 yesterday for $235 shipped. I hope I made the right decision.
Pavlograd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 1:48 PM   #7

The truth is that its difficult to go wrong on the cannon i950 since it is an excellent printer with high speed. If original color matching is an issue for you then look to getting a color profile software with your purchase.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:18 PM   #8

Default epson photo 700 to canon i950, time will tell

I currently own an Epson photo 700 (6 color) printer. It’s tired and old, and with the receipt of my new Pentax optio 550 camera, the printer is to be retired to just doing text and documents (plus with all the refillable ink I bought for it, I probably took it down a few notches in quality, but it will print cheeply) I just ordered a canon i950, and I hope is will be all I hope it to be. I was considering a canon i9100 wide format printed, but after hearing it does not have the 2 picoliter print head (it uses 4 picoliter) I am under the impression the i950 will probably print better. (though many of you seem to have mixed opinions??) Any comments/recommendations (I have not taken delivery of the i950, so it aint over till the fat lady sings)
Patrickfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:58 PM   #9

Going with the i950 is probably a good choice. I am currently using a 785 EPX. It is a 5 color plus a black cartridge. The problem I have with it is the print speed is very,very,very slow, and the amount of ink it uses. I print at 2880 dpi with photorealistic mode using Photoshop. I have printed 6 8x10 high quality prints and have gone through more than half of the ink.The quality for that generation of printer is great! I have looked at samples from the printer reps at the computer stores when they are in showing their wares and the 785 will still compete with some of the newer printers. I am currently looking at the i950 or the Epson 2200 to replace it with. Just trying to figure out what I want more speed or size. Keep us posted on how well it works the more feed back from users the better.
Red Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 6:54 AM   #10

Default i950

I have had my i950 for about 1 month and it is great; prints are quick and the color is great--- when using canon papers. I did try kodak paper but the color was awful! Good luck.
Dan Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote