Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1

Now that I can get my canon printer to be able to do the cd/dvd printing, I begin to realize that there is a new technology out there called lightscribe that can do a better job it seems.

The full link is here: http://www.lightscribe.com/

And also there is another alternative old technology, memorex exPressit Label Design Studio program, that you can print the CD/DVD label easily on a ready to use labels that you can buy for cheap prize.

Also buying a printable CD/DVD is generally more expensive than if you buy the one that is not printable. Add to the fact that getting the printer tray from ebay is not cheap either.

And since enabling the canon printer to do cd/dvd printing generally will void the one year warranty that comes with it, now I begin to think, is it all important to twist this printer to do that ?

Cost wise analysis seems to suggest me that enabling the printer to do cd/dvd printing is really not a necessary thing to do.

davidwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:45 PM   #2

Sticky Labels are not a good idea on DVD discs, many people have had problems with discs jumping or freezing during playback.

The lightscribe technology has a mixed reception, read the comments :-

http://labs.pcw.co.uk/2005/04/lightscribe_com.html

The CD/DVD print facility with Canon is very good, and its in colour , the "silver" printables can be very striking.,..........
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:18 PM   #3

davidwon wrote:
Quote:
Now that I can get my canon printer to be able to do the cd/dvd printing, I begin to realize that there is a new technology out there called lightscribe that can do a better job it seems.

The full link is here: http://www.lightscribe.com/

And also there is another alternative old technology, memorex exPressit Label Design Studio program, that you can print the CD/DVD label easily on a ready to use labels that you can buy for cheap prize.

Also buying a printable CD/DVD is generally more expensive than if you buy the one that is not printable. Add to the fact that getting the printer tray from ebay is not cheap either.

And since enabling the canon printer to do cd/dvd printing generally will void the one year warranty that comes with it, now I begin to think, is it all important to twist this printer to do that ?

Cost wise analysis seems to suggest me that enabling the printer to do cd/dvd printing is really not a necessary thing to do.
The cost... this is fair comment, unless you make your own tray, or hack an epson one. A US canon will run you a minium of $80, a tray $100. Epson itends cheaper out of the box. If you are buying OEM ink, it's hard to say which is better, the new canon inks will run you $70ish/set on the ip5200.

However, vs Lightscribe or even Labelflash? inkjet printable discs run there and abouts of 40cents each if you mail order or go to Costco, 80cents each on a bad day. You can go with lesser brands for as low as 20cent/each. Lightscribe are about $1.00 each or 70cents/per if you mail order. You do need to add the cost of ink, so in some cases lightscribe might end up being cheaper, but to be fair lightscribe is greyscale, and using black only on Canon or Epson, assuming OEM, I'd "guess" at most your adding 30 cents to each disc. If you use aftermarket ink, inkjet printable wins by a long shot.

As for labels, those are not reccomended. And we are talking a 20cent disc with a 35cent label plus ink, plus ink, or a 40cent disc plus ink.

Time wise, I've never timmed my printing, but I can do 600dpi full face color labels in 1 minute or two. Title only is certinaly under a minute. Lightscribe title only about 2min, title and tracks double that, best mode double that. Full graphic labels we are talking 1/2 hour or more.

Warranty.... I don't know if it's void if you enable the feature, but fair comment. But the cost of the printer is roughly equal to the cost of the ink if you go with the base model. If it goes kauput... we are talking an extra $20ish to $30ish to get another one.

If you only plan to print a small amount, like under 50 discs/year, you might be happy with lightscribe or labelflash. If you want something water proof, lightscribe/labelflash might be your bag. But if you want speed, inkjet wins. Inkjet wins on cost for basic title/track list, or monochromatic scenes, but would likely lose on full color labels. If you are going to do more than one disc in a sitting, lightscribe/label flash are too damned slow.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:33 PM   #4

Sticky Labels: If you value your data and want the longest life of the disc then stay away from applying sticky labels to your discs. Adhesives can destroy the layers of a disc, at the very least causing the data to become unreadable sooner. A misplaced or off-centered label can stress the disc and player mechanism leading to (rare) catastrophic failures, ie shattered discs and hard to clean out players. Cost can be more, less or the same as using a printable disc. Benefits are possibly cheaper costs and able to throw out misprints without needing to burn anotherdisc.

Lightscribe: This technologyuses a laser to etch text and graphics onto a disc. It is cool looking and is the latest technology. Downsides are the discs are still absurdly expensive, mono-colored printouts, takes a while to do the job (many minutes)and the etched graphics fade over time, though I think you can re-do.

Printable Media: Old technology with a variety of media choices, softwareand printers available. Print results are as good as the printer, source graphic and/or your artistic talent, although the unartistic like myself can get excellent results quickly since the software is mature. Downsides are theprintable mediadoes cost a bit more, the ink needs to drya bit (some spray an acrylliccoat over the discfor protection)and a badly printed or unappealing print job requires tossing the disc and re-burning if you wantperfection, though this is more your own fault than the discs or the printer's. One other consideration is the cost of inkjet ink, though this can be mitigated by using aftermarket inks or CIS systems.

Untilthe Lightscribe technology becomes less expensive and more colorful I'll stay with my printable media.

Edit: I am unaware that Canon will consider your warranty void if you enable Europe as your country inService Mode. This is neither a hack nor a circumventionbut a setting change readily known andalready available inthe Service Mode of my printer. Besides, you needed to change the setting since you aregoing toEngland... one day.

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:56 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info.

Stratman: Sticky Labels: If you value your data and want the longest life of the disc then stay away from applying sticky labels to your discs. Adhesives can destroy the layers of a disc, at the very least causing the data to become unreadable sooner. A misplaced or off-centered label can stress the disc and player mechanism leading to (rare) catastrophic failures, ie shattered discs and hard to clean out players. Cost can be more, less or the same as using a printable disc. Benefits are possibly cheaper costs and able to throw out misprints without needing to burn anotherdisc.

Ok. This is new info for me. What is the different between printable cd and putting a sticky label on a non-printable cd ?

Sorry, I havent gone out to buy a printable cd yet, cause I am putting a sticky label, and do a print on it.

Just wonder what is the difference ?

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:34 PM   #6

Sticky Label: Adhesive-backed paper shaped to fit onto a CD or DVD. Just like printing address labels but round and with a hole in the center.Sold by a variety of manufacturer's and utilizing software to add text and graphics via a printer. I know several people and businesses that use sticky labels.

I prefer printable media. It is a CD or DVD which has a coating of whitish material layered on the top side of the disc which can be printed onto by inkjet printers specifically equipped to do the job, such as Epson and Canon. Printing is done after burning the disc with the data. My Canon MP830 printson a disc in less than 30 seconds.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:44 PM   #7

davidwon wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the info.

Ok. This is new info for me. What is the different between printable cd and putting a sticky label on a non-printable cd ?

Sorry, I havent gone out to buy a printable cd yet, cause I am putting a sticky label, and do a print on it.

Just wonder what is the difference ?

A printable disc has a surface which can accept ink, which is put on in a production facility much better than your home. It's uniform, balanced, and good.

Disc labels use an adheasive, which you must apply to the disc. Some glues are not compatable with data discs... i've noted that urethane based sprays are horrible on DVDs rending them unreadable in spots, CDs less so. The strong glues can be strong enough that the data layer can peal off rendering the disc worthless. That being said, if you must use labels, go with printables. They at least have a layer which will accept the adheasive pretty well.

And cost... that's the big thing. At 30c a pop they end up costing more than decent grade printables. Given you can buy into an epson for $70, which comes with ink, cost isn't too much of a factor.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:53 PM   #8

Thanks again for all the info.

I just bought the Memorex 100 printable DVD+R's for $34.99 from Frys today. Yes the coating is whitish and print a beautiful picture, much better than the sticky labels. Originally I thought printable DVD is DVD diskthat comes with sticky labels already on top of it. Now I can see the difference. Yes it looks much better.

I am kinda worry since you guys suggested that the sticky labels can do damage to the data inside DVD's. Luckily I just printed about 5 disks so far with sticky labels. For now I can play back the data in the disk without any problem. Time will tell me if this disk will be damaged later.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:08 AM   #9

davidwon wrote:

Quote:
I am kinda worry since you guys suggested that the sticky labels can do damage to the data inside DVD's. Luckily I just printed about 5 disks so far with sticky labels. For now I can play back the data in the disk without any problem. Time will tell me if this disk will be damaged later.
Its DVD`s that seem to suffer most, not CD`s. It can be due to a variety /combination of reasons, player make, label position off center, humidity , time affecting the "pull" of the adhesive unevenly, nature of data......some people swear they have never had a problem.......and lots say they have , me included.

You are right.....with your 5 discs time will tell , (it did with me).. I suggest you make non labelled back -ups to be sure, if you are really worried, at least you found out in time.

Regarding printable DVDs , I have never had a disc that gave a problem because I had printed with my Canon 4000 onto it, only poor dye spread on cheap media has been the problem. Printing with a good inkjet onto proper good quality DVD`s is very rewarding, have fun.
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:15 AM   #10

Catastrophic failures, ie breaking of the disc while spinning in the player, are more likely to occur with DVD's because DVD's spin at a much higher RPM (Revolution Per Minute)than CD's. It is also the reason that current DVD players spin only so fast, since they could be made to read and write at greater RPM but the darn discs breaks into many shards with regularity at certain RPM's.

Having a scratched up disc or a misaligned label increases the risk for a catastrophic failure at any RPM. A properly made printable disc does not increase the likelyhood of catastropic failure signifigantly, nor would the ink from your printer make a signifigant difference.

Most of the time, though, the issues discussed above will cause errors in reading the disc rather than the (very rare) catastrophic failure. Other issues such as sticky label adhesive leaching into and destroying the layers of your media will result in corruption of data. Heat, humidity, scratches from mishandling or improper storageand time itself are probably the foremost reasons for data corruption on discs. Some will periodically check the integrity of the data on a disc every few months or once a year depending on the importance of the data and copy the data to a hard drive and reburn to a new disc. CDSpeed is a free program that can check the integrity of data for most DVD/CD burners, or, use the proprietary application that came with your drive.

If you really want to know more try http://www.cdrfaq.org/(section 7 in particular) or http://www.CDFreaks.com and search the forums for threads that discussed this topic in great detail.

I wouldn't be too worried about the 5 discs you put sticky labels on as long as the labels are aligned on the discs properly. If the discs contain important data then reburn onto a new disc. If the data is not essential, likepictures or songs for your friends or a video you will only watch once, then use the sticky labels up to make a nice presentation and enjoy.