Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 24, 2003, 6:57 PM   #1

Default What to buy...what to buy...

I am wondering what kind of photo printer I should buy and thought I would come to you guys. I don't have one and have just started looking.

I am not real concerned re: cost of it.

I have a D7 and love it. I do all kinds of shots...outdoors, family stuff...Black and white is important also.

Opinions?
Thanks
STK5357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2003, 12:05 AM   #2

Default What to buy

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide what to buy. THought I was going with the Canon 950, but my wife is heavy into scrapbooking, and she is concerned about longevity with the Canon. SHe wants more than 25 years in her albums!

With that as a concern, is the Epson 2200 the best option, or lookin at a dye-sub, such as the P-400 or one of the HiTi printers? She primarily wants to print 4X6's, which makes the HiTi work for her, but I want the option to occassionally print larger sizes.

I know the cost per print of the HiTi and the P-400, but am not sure what the cost per print of your typical inkjet.

Any recommendations or comments on print cost will be appreciated.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 8:28 AM   #3

Epson 2200 is best bet for professionals. I950 is best bet for the home print maker. Prints that are made and put into a photo book where they will not be exposed to atmospheric conditions and light should last a bit longer than 25 years. Your cover photo however may fade. Also once you put it all onto a CD you don't have to worry about losing the pictures. You can even put a CD of all the pictures in the scrapbook as a backup.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 8:50 AM   #4

Here's something to consider. In June, Epson is releasing inkjet scrapbook paper that is compatible with all inket brands.

http://www.businesswire.com/webbox/b.../230280141.htm

You could print multiple pictures onto one page and trim them. You would be assured about the longevity then.

My wife is heavily into scrapbooking also. To the point we have spent $2000 in equipment (the die cut machine, a sticker maker, bags, punches, papers, a retreat) since Christmas.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote