Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:58 AM   #1

Dear all

:-D

I am new to the forum and have tried to catch up with previous posts on the topic.

I have finally decided to change my glorious Epson Stylus Photo 700, which still delivers very satisfactory photos given its age, but really annoys me with nozzle issues to the point where I use most of my ink in cleaning the heads...

For this reason, and for my past experience with past EPSONs, I've decided to change brand, and was looking for a while at the Canon PIXMA IP8500.

Although the printer is no longer produced, I still do not find a newer A4 8-ink model in Canon's listings...

My questions (if you have answers) are:
1. Would you buy a printer which is 2 years old?
2. I saw an old thread about using the Japanese drivers to benefit of the new Chromalife 100 inks in the 8500. Is that still the case, or can I use normal drivers with those inks as well? I ask because I'm a bit worried about fading of the printouts.
3. I saw, also on other websites, discussions about chipless and chipped cartridges... how does this apply to the original IP8500 inks and to the new Chromalife 100 ones?

Thank you in advance!!

Luca

dj_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:08 PM   #2

Short answer is yes :-)

I have two of them, one I use for A4 (11.7" x 8.3") photos I keep for myself, the other is still boxed and is being keptas a spare. For "normal" day to day printing I use an IP4000, both of the printers use refilled cartridges with inks from InkjetGoodies, absolutely no problems with them at all. IP8500s are currently selling on Ebay in the UK for around £200 = US$370.

I'd have no hesitation in buying another of the pre-chipped IP printers, the savings in being able to refill more than pay for the printer itself, in the IP4000 I use a set of carts about every 3 weeks so roughly 17 sets a year which currently cost me about £17 = US$32 for a years worth of printing!, one set of Canon OEMs here would be £24 = US$44!!!

phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:39 AM   #3

Thanks for your quick answer...

So you say the new Canons have chipped cartridges which cannot be refilled... whereas you do refill the 8500's. You do not notice any difference in colour quality with non-Canon inks? Or is it the same ink?

Finally, have you encountered any issues with fading? Or is it true that using appropriate paper even standard dye-based inks such as the 8500's do not fade?

(by the way I'm already convinced, I found it for 250 Euro..., just these small doubts!)

Thanks

Luca
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:12 AM   #4

dj_snow wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your quick answer...

So you say the new Canons have chipped cartridges which cannot be refilled... whereas you do refill the 8500's. You do not notice any difference in colour quality with non-Canon inks? Or is it the same ink?
Quote:
Yes, the newer 4200, 5200 etc. have chipped carts, there's a few threads on it in the forums, look for posts by websnail. There's adifference between all inks, the InkjetGoodies (from the US)and Hobbicolors inks are near enough for me not to tweak the print settings, Hobbicolors sell on Ebay and ship to Europe, I've just got a set of the new Ultra Wide colour gamut inks (similar to the new Canon CLI8s) which are supposed to give better print longevity but haven't tried them yet. Hobbicolors do a complete range of refilling kits and prices are a lot cheaper than Canon OEMs http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZkbay2002
Quote:

Finally, have you encountered any issues with fading? Or is it true that using appropriate paper even standard dye-based inks such as the 8500's do not fade?
Quote:
All prints fade with time, I have a couple of prints I made using the InkjetGoodies inks andIlford Gallerie Pearlpaper 3 years ago sitting in my bedroom which gets the sun most of the day, having looked at them today they have faded slightly, others which I have in albums using both Ilford and Epson papers seem to be OK. Longgevity isn't a problem for me as every photograph I take isduplicated onto 3 levels ofbackup, I use Taiyo Yuden DVDs for storage and at about 40p (€.60) a disk it's a cheap way of ensuring I don't loose anything!.
Quote:
(by the way I'm already convinced, I found it for 250 Euro..., just these small doubts!)

Thanks

Luca
Quote:
No problem, anything else you want to know please ask
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:13 PM   #5

Cool,
this convices me even futher for the IP8500!

One more thing... I've just read in a review from photo-i.co.uk that the printouts are of the 8500 are a bit reddish... and that the magenta level should be turned down in the driver. Have you experienced such issues?

Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:22 AM   #6

Nooo!

the store where I had ordered the IP8500 for 250 EUR turned me down and took it out of their list!

I see the printer can be still found online for 330-350 EUR (I haven't found any on eBay UK!).

Now in the same store which took out the 8550 I could buy the IP6600D for 135 EUR, which sounds interesting...

Apart from using chipped carts, not refillable, I've noticed:
- Down to 6 colour but double resolution
- Same printing speed (half at 9600 dpi of course)
- LCD, new features etc.
- Chromalife inks

What do you guys think?

Will there be a big difference in quality without the red and green inks?

Luca

Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:37 AM   #7

dj_snow wrote:
Quote:
Nooo!

the store where I had ordered the IP8500 for 250 EUR turned me down and took it out of their list!

I see the printer can be still found online for 330-350 EUR (I haven't found any on eBay UK!).

Now in the same store which took out the 8550 I could buy the IP6600D for 135 EUR, which sounds interesting...

Apart from using chipped carts, not refillable, I've noticed:
- Down to 6 colour but double resolution
- Same printing speed (half at 9600 dpi of course)
- LCD, new features etc.
- Chromalife inks

What do you guys think?

Will there be a big difference in quality without the red and green inks?

Luca

Given the choice of extra colors or higher resolution, i'd go extra colors my self. Where the 6 tank printer has to dither to make a red, the ip8500 won't have to. Further, this resolution and ink compliment will be available on the pixma pro 9000, the a3 model slated to replace the i9900.

But price is the ultimate factor. I have the ip5200.. which is prety dang good, I imagine the ip6600D would be even better. Without a doubt the ip8500 would be better still, but better to the point of needing a loup to evaluate which one is better.
about 240 quid vs 140quid for the ip6600D... tough call.

The tanks on the ip6600D should be able to be refilled, only you lose the ink meter. The ip8500 does not have that drawback, you get a low ink warning. But the price gap is such that one can pickup another head in the unlikely event one burns out the head printing too much without ink.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:21 AM   #8

Check out the current thread on refilling, more issues are surfacing apart from the loss of the ink monitoring.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=40&page=8

I had the previous model to the 6600, the 6000, it had the extra photo-magenta/cyan but not the pigment black for text, photo quality was very good, in between the 4000 and 8500 but to be honest there's not a huge difference between the 4000/5000 and 8500 to start with, if you do a lot of facial shots then the 8500 or 6600 would be the better choice. The reason I let my 6000 go was the print speed, it was just so slow!.

I'd look for a 4000 or 5000 if possible, purely for the refilling abilities, there's really very little difference in print quality between the #000 series and the newer #200 series, nothing you would notice viewing prints from a normal viewing distance.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:53 AM   #9

I was thinking that in the end I don't mind about buying original carts...
so maybe I should go for the 6600, at 135 EUR it's a deal.

It cannot be a bad printer, as I see it has won the EISA 06-07 awards!

I would not go for a 4000-5000 because I currently have a 6-ink printer (the stylus photo 700) and are quite reluctant to go back to 4 inks...

About speed, it is hard to understand something on Canon's website.
Do you think the 6600 is as slow as the 6000?

It's a rather stupid policy I see... the 5000 line is faster but with 4 inks (now 5 with pigment black, which I don't need), the 6000 slower but with 6 inks.
Why in the world don't they make a follow-up to the 8500 in A4??

Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:13 AM   #10

No doubt they will, the new Canon Pixma iP4300 Photo Printer has already been announced, It may be worth waiting a couple of months and see what the new Epson HiDef printers are like, http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...ml#epson_hidef