Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 26, 2003, 7:39 AM   #1

Default Canon S820; Banning or blinds effect in printed pictures

I have the Canon S820 and did some test prints using Epson Heavyweight Matte & Canon Photo Pro paper that came with the printer. The test picture I used was downloaded from the Internet and contained many different pictures with a row of different colored threads at the bottom. I used Adobe Elements 2.0 to print from with no touchups made to the test picture. Both showed Banning or Blinds effect that was especially noticeable in the baby's face. On the Epson paper using the matte settings in Canons print driver I did a 4x6, 8x10, 8x10 borderless & a 8x10 with vivid color & both optimizer settings turned on and all showed the same effect. It looked like thin white lines running through the picture. The Canon photo pro paper was 4x6 and I used the photo pro settings in the print driver and this also had the banning effect. I also did a 8x10 using the same test picture on Kodak Inkjet Photo Paper using the print settings for the 820D I got from Kodak's web site and it did not show the banning effect. Matter of fact in the picture of the British Solider you could see brick detail on the wall behind him that did not show up in either the Epson or Canon prints. The babies skin was redder on the Kodak paper and I guess neutral on the Epson & Canon paper.

So what does this mean? :?
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2003, 8:15 AM   #2

sounds like a bad printhead. Go through a printhead cleaning it should clear it up. If not then time to call up cannon.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 4:59 AM   #3

Default Emailed Canon

I sent an email to canon and first got an automated responce which said to try relinging the heads. So i did a cleaning and a head realingment and found 2 setting were little off. I changed D to a -1 from 0 & F to a 0 from +1 and printed my test picture again on canon photo pro paper. So far it seamed to fix the problem but it took 2 days before i noticed the problem in the first place so i'll wait. With my old Epson printer it just printed a set of lines and you picked the one which printed over the other but canon goes onto seperate boxes. What does this adjust, the printhead angle? the way the ink comes out? not sure how it works.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:22 AM   #4

There are so many factors when dealing with the complexity of the dot. Especially when on the newer printers they have smaller dots that are extremly difficult to see. The canon has to take this a step futher because of the fact it has so many printheads for fast printing. Because of the fact it has more printheads it requires a little more complex adjustment procedure. Epson printers usually have no more than about 128-500 heads where as canon has as much as 2000 printheads.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 5:45 AM   #5

Default speed & text with canon

You know i can't tell if my Canon S820 prints faster than my old Epson 640 since the epson is broken and can't put them in a side-by-side race. I must print a picture that i did on my epson to see if Canon looks better. Do you think the Canon i320 would make a good stand alone text printer or just give me the same out put for text the S820 does cause i can get the i320 for $20 from target? YOu see Epson came out with a new 900 printer which i guess is a cheeper model of the 960, don't know the details if it.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:24 PM   #6

Epson just came out with a photo 900 and yes it will do a better quality photo than the Canon 820 but you'd have to really look for it. The cool thing about the new 900 is that from people like me who have been screaming at Epson for years finally got word through that we wanted bigger ink tanks and the new 900 uses a bigger ink tank than the 925,825,785,820,890 epson photo printer models. Thus you are not changing the ink tank after 20 full sized letter prints. The new one should be closer to 50-60 letter sized prints.

The i320 I think will probably produce good quality text. However you may not like the ink costs on it since it uses a very tiny ink tank that literally lasts 50-100 pages. Granted it only costs about 8-10 bucks to replace the black ink tank but still it is'nt cheap. Consider looking for an Epson stylus color c80,C82,980,900,880. Or an Hp deskjet 720,820,890,960,990,1218,1215,6122 or anything that uses the HP cartridge that ends in 45A. These printers will produce the lowest black ink costs on the market.