Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:34 AM   #1

Hi all,

searching for revieuws/comparisons between the D88 and IP4200 I found that people on this forum are using both. I hope you can advise me on which printer to buy.
I'm mainly interested in the costs and it's quality on default ('cheap') paper. Any opinions here?

much thanks in advance,

Martin
SVMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:27 AM   #2

SVMartin wrote:
Quote:
searching for revieuws/comparisons between the D88 and IP4200 I found that people on this forum are using both. I hope you can advise me on which printer to buy.
I'm mainly interested in the costs and it's quality on default ('cheap') paper. Any opinions here?
Hmm... tough one here but here goes...

I have both the D88 (as well as the C84 and C86) plus the iP4200 (and the older iP4000) so I've had plenty of opportunity to play with these printers and get to know their ups and downs.

The first thing you need to consider is what you want to use them for, but given the two are roughly comparable in terms of "usage" then I'd imagine it'd be "general printing" in which case both are pretty good printers and won't let you down.

Where things differ is as follows:

Epson D88
The ink in this printer is Ultrachrome which is water fast and thus allows you to print to paper without worrying about it running if/when it gets a little wet (coffee spills, rain, etc..)... Unfortunately this also means that the ink is more prone to clogging after relatively short periods of time and thus you need to be printing every few days to reduce the likelihood of cleaning cycles.

On the up side the printer is very open to 3rd party consumables and modification to deal with issues such as the dreaded service required (ie: waste ink pad overflow) message.. (However there's no resetter currently available).

All in all, it's a good, fast printer and does the job.

Canon iP4200
This printer has 4 dyebase (cyan, maganta, yellow and photo black) and 1 pigment ink supply (black) so any colour printing will not be water fast. The inks tend to clog less than the D88 although if you do get clogging it will be in the pigment nozzles before the dyebase.

The printer does use less head cleaning but the head is considered a consumable so you will face the need to replace the printhead at some point in the future.

The biggest downside to this printer is the lack of 3rd party consumables thanks to the new 3rd generation chip (ie: after HP, Epsons attempts) which hasn't been broken. If you are willing to consider refilling though this is definitely a printer to give serious thought to.

The features the iP4200 has that the D88 doesn't include booklet and auto/manual duplex printing which can be very useful indeed... Add to that you also get DVD/CD printing (Not in the USA) so there's a lot more to this printer.

Overall...
.. the output is pretty similar with the iP4200 inching ahead in terms of single side print speed and on a personal note I just prefer the iP4200 for a whole slew of tiny reasons that are hard to express.

The kicker is going to be consumables though and if you are anti-refill then I would strongly recommend that you go with the D88 as the costs otherwise will simply kill you.

Just one opinion though so take with the usual salt dosage..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:18 PM   #3

The Canon IP4200 USA model will do CD/DVD printing after an easy setting change on theprinter and purchase from eBay (or do it yourself built) CD tray. The software is free too. All instructions can be found at http://pixma.allhyper.com/.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:01 AM   #4

Hi WebSnail,

much thanks for your reply!

Although you write "on a personal note I just prefer the iP4200 for a whole slew of tiny reasons that are hard to express.", this *is* an important reason. Two cars with exactly the same specs can give you really different driving-experiences.

best regards,

Martin
SVMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:42 AM   #5

SVMartin wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

much thanks in advance,

Martin

What do you mean by cheap paper?

My experence thus far on index cards has been somewhat pleasent, the pigment black tends to bleed but that was the same as my older model, the dye on the other hand is good enough to print somewhat ok pictures. For example, i'm helping my sister with an insurance claim and along with a description of an item i'm including a picture of what said item looks like.

The D88, probally the C88 in the states, is more likely to look decent on plain paper, and have a benifit of prints lasting an absolute age. Durabrite pigments are top notch in that regard. For what i'm doing, this class of printer would probally be more ideal.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote