Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:21 AM   #1

It may have posted before but I can't find it.

I want to know which is a good photo hosting site, its pros and cons. I'mNOT interested in free site. One site appears quite good is http://photo.net/

Price at $29/ yr or $100 for life time (actually is 100 yrs, well good enough). Membership is well over half a million. It has some ads. but I think I can tolerate with that.

Hope to hear from your input.

novetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:46 PM   #2

I signed up with pbase because I like thier clean format, which can be tailored to suit. They allow linking to images and cost is about $23/year/300mb (or thereabout). Images can be bulk uploaded a few different ways, and galleries are easy to maintain and move things around in.

I know there are lots of other options, but I'm not familiar with them.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:38 PM   #3

I use Smugmug. Very customizable, unlimited storage and a band width you will never come close to reaching. I would never concider any pay site that has a storage limit. Smugmug has 3 levels, the standard cost $39.95 per year, the power user is 59.95, you get a lot more options with this plus I believe you can get rid of their logo on your web page. Then there is the pro level which is $149.95 per year, but you can sell your images for a profit at this level. They also store your images in three different places, so if you ever have a computer crash you can order a DVD from them with all your pictures. You can order prints and pro quality gifts from them too. Easy sharing, and you can also password protect some of your galleries if you want to keep them private.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:20 PM   #4

I'm curious how much space you use? I thought that 400mb (oops, thought it was less) could be limiting but I found that I only upload web-size images because they look better than when a computer auto-downsizes them, therefore my images take up about 1/2mb each and I doubt I'll ever run into the limit myself. Not knocking your opinion or smugmug, but I have a hard time seeing the space issue as a limitation.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:09 PM   #5

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious how much space you use? I thought that 400mb (oops, thought it was less) could be limiting but I found that I only upload web-size images because they look better than when a computer auto-downsizes them, therefore my images take up about 1/2mb each and I doubt I'll ever run into the limit myself. Not knocking your opinion or smugmug, but I have a hard time seeing the space issue as a limitation.
I have a little less than 2200 images on my site and have used a little over 1.3 gb of space. When you upload to smugmug, they actually make several sizes of your images, thumbnails, medium, large and they also have your original size. When your gallery is opened you see the thumbnails, and the first image as a medium size, which you can clik on it to see a large size. If you only upload web sizeimages you would not be able to order any prints over wallet size.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:21 PM   #6

Whoa thats a LOT of images!!! Pbase does the same multi-size thing but I think my pics look better with a little sharpening after being scaled down, plus I kinda dont like having full-res pics out there for everyone. Can you limit full-size availibility on smugmug? I think pbase can but I havent tried.

I really like that they let people order prints, thats a nice feature.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:49 PM   #7

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Whoa thats a LOT of images!!! Pbase does the same multi-size thing but I think my pics look better with a little sharpening after being scaled down, plus I kinda dont like having full-res pics out there for everyone. Can you limit full-size availibility on smugmug? I think pbase can but I havent tried.

I really like that they let people order prints, thats a nice feature.
I haven't even had this site for a year yet, and still have about 4000 more images to get uploaded, not to mention the one I yet to take. Yes, you can setlimits on full res access, you can alsopassword protect certain galleries so only the people you give the password to can view them. You can set it to allow people to order prints or not. It is completely customizable. Plus as I said earlier, they have 3 different servers in 3 different states that my photos are stored on. so even if my computer blows up at the same time as one of their servers blows up I still can get my full res images sent to me on DVD for backup.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:31 AM   #8
DJT

Think I'm going to look into this. I just had a 40gig external drive crash on me and *cough* hadn't made backups of these photos yet. It took me 6 hours to transfer the pictures over to my computers hard drive - 3,533 photos. Would have been a lot easier just ordering a few DVD's of them instead.

DJT needs peace-of-mind backups
DJT is offline   Reply With Quote