Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Default Problems with Imageshack

I can't see Imageshack picks on the forum. I'm not the only one. I need to right clik the frog logo, go to Properties and copy the url. Horrible. And i'm a registered user of Image shack.
What can be the problem? Solution? Thanks.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm not an ImageShack user, although I registered an account there for testing.

From what I can see, as long as you use the "direct link to image" you'll see next to a photo on their page for it, it should be a good link. But, if you try to copy the address shown in your browser's address bar, it's probably going to take you to a page with the photo on it (which is not really a direct link to the image itself, which means you couldn't use it to embed a photo in a forum post). You'll need to use the direct link to the image for embedding photos in forums. Then, paste that link into the box that pops up when you use the Insert Image button ( icon) here at Steve's.

Or, just use [img] in front of the link, and [/img] after the link instead (which does the same thing as the insert image feature).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. It's not a problem with my picks in particular. I'm using tinypic to avoid this touble. I can't see any imageshack pick from other posters unless i copy the url. It's weird.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:06 PM   #4

Example:

I can't see the pick. I see a frog in an ice cube and this words:

Domain Unregistered.
To view, register at:
bit.ly/imageshack-domain

Which directs me to this page:

http://stream.imageshack.us/content....egister_domain
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:11 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Thanks Jim. It's not a problem with my picks in particular. I'm using tinypic to avoid this touble. I can't see any imageshack pick from other posters unless i copy the url. It's weird.
It's probably the way they're pasting in the links (not using the Direct Link to the image that you can see beside each one).

Or, perhaps ImageShack site changed the way they handle links.

I can remember seeing similar issues from photos on other sites, where members were using the incorrect links. For example, links tied to a specific server versus the link they were supposed to use. So, when the server changed, the links quit working.

Photos at pbase.com are one example of that kind of thing. Some users just right click on a photo and look at it's properties to get a direct link. Well.... that might work for a while. But, if they move it to another server, the old link is no longer valid (and I've seen that happen on numerous occasions).

For example, this is a direct link to a photo on pbase.com (using the recommended link to it for hot linking):

http://www.pbase.com/image/113341344/original.jpg

Right this minute, if I look at that image in it's album and "right click" on it to look at image information, I see this link to it:

http://i.pbase.com/o2/75/63175/1/113...onyflash2.jpeg

But, that second link (even though it works right this minute) is *not* the correct link to the image there. So, if they move it to a different server location, the second link will stop working (even though the first one will still work).

IOW, chances are, the users posting the links are not using the Direct Link feature provided by ImageShack, and the links they embedded earlier no longer work for some reason (folder structure changed, moved to different servers, etc.).
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:21 PM   #6

Isn't it possible that you need steves domain registered there?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:21 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
I can't see the pick. I see a frog in an ice cube and this words:

Domain Unregistered.
To view, register at:
bit.ly/imageshack-domain

Which directs me to this page:

http://stream.imageshack.us/content....egister_domain
Hmmmm....

I can see that one just fine.

But, I do see this in their FAQ (under "Does Image Shack allow Direct Linking")

Quote:
...under some circumstances, some domains will need to be registered with us if users on that domain wish to direct link to images hosted on ImageShack...
http://imageshack.us/content.php?page=faq

So, viewing photos from some IP address ranges (associated with domains they're not familiar with or saw high traffic from) may blocked for some reason (guess on my part, IF the correct Direct Link is being used).
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:24 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Isn't it possible that you need steves domain registered there?
What happens if you paste the link to that image into a browser address bar?

If it still doesn't work, that has nothing to do with Steve's, and they're just blocking your IP Address from seeing it (probably because they saw a lot of bandwidth usage from there). Note that I can see that image just fine in your post.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:32 PM   #9

If i paste the link the picks appear and then, when i come back, i can see them here at steves. I always use direct link urls with IMG tags. This is something new. And my use of imageshack is just normal. Is Steves domain registered at Imageshack?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:44 PM   #10
Administrator

No, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it, since your browser User Agent and IP address is what they should be seeing when you view an image that's direct linked in a post here (although they can probably see that it was embedded here, too, if they're looking at the referral URL).

IOW, they're probably seeing it loaded from your IP address, which is associated with the domain http://www.com.ar

So, they could be blocking access to any hot linking by any users on that domain (and if so, probably because some of them had web sites with photos setup and they saw a lot of bandwidth being used, which costs them money).

There are many thousands of photo hosting sites now, and you see more and more restrictions on how they are handling direct linking (since that means bandwidth costs to them).

From what I can tell from history about ImageShack, they've tried to limit direct linking before. See the second paragraph under Image Hosting for an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageshack#Image_hosting

Since I could see the image just fine in your post without doing anything special, that tells me that it's your IP address they're probably trying to restrict. But, even if they are seeing that the link is at Steve's, I'd be opposed to being required to register at any photo sharing site for a restriction that site is imposing (as there are thousands of them around now).