Old Jul 4, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1

Just want feedback on how it looks etc.

I love this web development stuff

http://www.tingram.ca
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:14 PM   #2

I'll try not to inflict too much of my web-design philosophy onto you. :lol:

Times New Roman isn't the best font to use. Arial or Verdana may be better choices. You may or may not want to centre the site. On my computer (1024x768) it isn't filling the screen and is sitting to the left. You are in need of a phpbb skin. They're surprisingly easy to make, or you can download one. You may want to insert your top menu onto the forums. You can do that in its template.

Other than that, it's looking good. Not at all flashy or gimmicky. Just good, honest website design. Too many places are filling their sites with junk which just adds to confusion. I can navigate your site and go where I want to.

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:24 PM   #3

I thank you for your comments, I'll look into different fonts.

I did do a recent redesign, though I am not sure if this is the theme you saw or not.

Check it out again, I just have some basic content (a new review and a short article).

I hope to upload some more photos when I find time between my busy work schedule and sleep

Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:45 PM   #4

It does appear to be filling my screen.

Ferny, i hear ya on the time new roman. When a designer is allowed to use the proper fontsize of ten or less it results in a faster read, I think verdana does also, but has the added advantage of being pretty at larger sizes.

Gimli, i would like to add that generally it is considered preferable to not hard code the sizes into the web page for the fonts. Allow the user to decide if they can't see the standard. Most websites seem to let this one slide though. I like the color scheme.

If you guys want a good laugh try googling "Jakob Nielson drinking game".
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:04 AM   #5

I like to hard code the font size. Sometimes it is essential when using tables in percentages and not pixel size or you can end up with all sorts of problems.

The one I saw, Gimli, was mostly white. I forget the exact colourings. I like your colour scheme. It's basic, clean and different from others. Less can be more, can't it?

This one isn't filling my screen completely, it is still aligned to the left. But it is bigger and filling more of it. Did you set the table width with pixels or percentages? I'm just asking, because if you used pixels, people with small browser settings will have to scroll horizontally. Isn't trying to cater for everyone fun? :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:24 PM   #6

ferny wrote:
Quote:
I like to hard code the font size. Sometimes it is essential when using tables in percentages and not pixel size or you can end up with all sorts of problems.

Isn't trying to cater for everyone fun? :lol:
Being more interested in programming than html, i tend to like cgi for this kind of thing, with a spattering of javascript where there is good support it. Personally i loathe tables if css was well supported i would be using it extensively. As yet i haven't got it figured out for both IE and things that are, well standards compliant.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:24 PM   #7

I believe I use percentages when doing the tables. Though I used to use 800pixel as a standard width, cause if your running less than 800x600 resolution on your computer screen, its time for an upgrade

I used to use CGI, though I forgot why I got out of it. Went into PHP which I love, along with using a MySQL database and such.

Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:37 PM   #8

Alright some more modifications.

Take a peek: www.tingram.ca or www.tingram.info either works

More photos to come!

Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:35 PM   #9

Hey Gimli,
Here are some things I noticed about the site (some are really nit-picky =):

1) In the "About" section, you switch between 3rd person and first person. From "Tyler Ingram" to "I". It's best to say something at the top of the page like "Biography of Tyler Ingram", and then use a narrative approach in the rest of your description, with no reference made to the person of the biography since it's already understood from the page header.

2) The menu headers on the left are good, but the menu subitems don't coexist well with the style. Personally I think a lighter tint of the page background colour should be used with the menu background cells. For example, you're using #243345 as the main page background colour. Try experimenting with #465567 or a darker white. It'll keep the colour style within context.

Also, there's a lot of spacing between the menu header and the sub items. From the source I've read, you're calling: "<p><br>" before each new table, which would be the culprit. Try keeping the menu items tighter. Get rid of the paragraph and break tag, then have all your menu subitems indent into the list to be easily identifiable.

3) On the "home" page, you have a paragraph of text at the top. I would suggest you remove that and instead place it as a news item. Or add a special "News Sticky" item that keeps important notices on top of the news list.

4) I would recommend you put a standard "copyright" notice at the footer of each page. This helps notify users that they cannot explicitly use any of your content without permission. Since you'll be storing photos, it would be a nice thing to have.

5) Under the random photo section, try putting the title information above or below the image being shown.

6) Its not important now, but just keep in mind that in the near future when you start posting more photos, you should have subcategories for all your galleries so as not to flood people with 100+ photos of landscapes. For example, have "Landscapes / Mountain", "Landscapes / Valley", etc…

7) You should use pixel sizes instead of percentages for your tables. At a high resolution, your menu table stretches out pretty far. A good menu size is around 150 – 250 pixels.

Well I'll leave my advice here for now. Keep up the good work. It's good to see some photographers wanting to get their corner on the web.

Oh, and while PERL CGI and PHP is nice, Microsoft's .NET rules =)
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:27 AM   #10

Ah thank you!

I love feedback no matter what form, alot of points that I can now go over and change.

I'll look at experimenting with various colours for the menus.

Thanx again!