Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:56 PM   #11
Administrator

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
Jim,the funny thing about PhotoAccess.com is that I thought they used Fuji as well. But looking at the pics I ordered on July 9th, all of the prints, including the order slip, are printed on Kodak paper. I will send their cust service an email asking why the change. I'll let you know what they say.
Well, the lasttimeI ordered prints from them wasin April this year, and they were still using Fujifilm Crystal Archive Paper then (I checked the back of my prints to make sure, when I saw your comments on them using Kodak paper, since it sure didn't sound correct).

I've been using 'em off and on for several years, and they've always used Fuji as far as I know (but I'd have to dig through boxes to find older print orders to make sure -- we just moved a few months back, so a lot of stuff is still packed away).

Let us know what they say about it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:50 PM   #12

Jim:

Here is my response from PhotoAccess.com regarding the Kodak paper.

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for writing.

Print sizes listed under the "large prints" category are still printed
using the Fuji Crystal Archive Paper. However, smaller size prints are
now printed using Kodak Edge, which is a very high quality paper that we
feel will satisfy the expectations of our customers. The color and
archival quality of the paper are superior to other papers used by
professionals in the industry today.

I thought that our website had been updated since that time. Did we
miss somewhere? If you could please let me know where on our site you
read that we still use the Fuji paper, it would be appreciated.

For more information regarding Kodak Edge paper, please visit the below
web page at Kodak's site:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/e7010/e7010.shtml

Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

John G.
Customer Service Representative
PhotoAccess

So it looks like they have switched to Kodak for their smaller prints.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:10 PM   #13
Administrator

Well, I sure hope the Kodak paper works as good as the Fuji when I order prints from them again. I've been using these guys off and on for several years now, whenever I need to print a lot of prints(and I've got lots of albums stored there).

My last order was in April and on Fuji paper, so they must have switched since then. I saw where your order was in July, and you got yours on Kodak paper.

BTW, I missed your questions about the Album Pages (I've got to start remembering to put threads I'm in on the "watch list"). So, I answered it today:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=9

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:18 PM   #14

Thanks Jim. I saw the reply about the albums. Looks pretty interesting. I am trying to get my wife into doing digital albums and digital scrapbooking.

As far as the quality of the Kodak prints from PhotoAccess, I don't think the prints are as good as ones from Sams Club or my local Fred Meyer, which both print on Fuji, but they are definitely better then Ofoto.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:35 AM   #15

I just got my pics from WinkFlash.com and they are great. The colors are great and the paper is Fuji Crystal Archive. I ordered some glossy and some matte. All great quality. I also tried out their "border" option on a matte print and it looks very nice.

The pics came in a nice hard cardboard envelope with separate index sheets for my matte prints and my glossy's. Price was .18 a print. Shipping was free, but slow (probably because it was free). I ordered prints last Sunday and received them the following Monday. Not bad, but not as fast as others.

I think I am making WinkFlash.com my new online printing option.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:01 PM   #16

I'm also new to Digital, and recently had an interesting experience with using London Drugs (a large Canadian chain) to print some of my first pictures.

I took most of the pictures Raw and applied digital exposure compensation to get them to look about right. After sending them to London Drugs, all of my prints looked quite dark (underexposed). So, I made a new batch of jpeg's which were much lighter (1/2 to 1 stop more digital exposure compensation).

The new set of prints were in general eitherDARKER than the first set or there was no difference. Only a couple of pictures out of about 20 were actually lighter.

When I talked to a person running their photo lab, she said that the technician applies compensation when making the prints. I was a bit surprised to hear this since I was expecting that I should get prints as I intended them to look, not the way a tech wants them to look.

Is this the way all labs work? If so, how the heck does anyone really know if their camera is working properly?

Regards,

Bob A.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote