Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:33 PM   #1

I don't have the money right now for a photo printing after purchasing my FZ10. So, where is the best place online to get prints from? I'm currently signed up with Shutterfly.

I don't really care if they offer image hosting, but if so that's good.

Thanks.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:03 AM   #2

I just got an order from Mpix.com, and they came out excellent. They are 29 cents for 4x6 and 4.95 flat shipping. Worth checking out...
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:03 AM   #3

snapfish.com seems like a good place and when I looked at them they gave they had the first few you ordered for free. Also, they have a nice photo album interface for you to load and store you pictures. Image file size didn't seem to matter. I have tried some that limited you file size and my 4MB images wouldn't load to their site however it worked great with snapfish.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:51 AM   #4
Administrator

I use http://www.Photoaccess.com for a lot of my personal albums (birthday parties, family gatherings, etc.).

This allows me to send family members and friends a link to the albums, so that they can order prints themselves.

There are some limitations (no direct linking, and guests can't see the original size image you uploaded), but it is free to store your photos (unlimited storage). They also don't require guests to supply a username and password (like some sites like this do). However, they do give you some control over security if you want to password protect an album.

They also have a software package called Photostreamer you can download. This allows you to create albums on your local PC, then let the software upload all of the photos without you needing to do it one photo at a time.

They also offer Digital Size prints, so that you don't need to worry about cropping. They offer poster size prints in a variety of paper types, too.

Here's an example of one of my albums there:
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...8687&cb=PA

Now, I've found it easier to just take a memory card down to a local printer if I need a lot of 4x6's (although I print most of my own prints at home -- unless I need a larger quantity). But, I have used Photoaccess.com for my own prints in the past, and the quality was fine.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:18 PM   #5

I am actually in the process of creating a big review on a lot of the big online photo ordering sites.

Here is my take so far -

Ofoto.com-Print quality is good. Photos of people tend to be a little on the magenta side. They use Kodak paper (they are a Kodak company). Shipping is quick and photos come in a nice hard cardboard sleeve with an index card. They have a special where you get 10 free with your first order. Regular 4x6 price is .29

Snapfish.com- Print quality is verypoor. Printing is very grainy and colors are off. They use Kodak paper. Photos come in a paper envelope so your photos could get damaged in the mail. Regular 4x6 price is .19

SamsPhotoClub.com- Print quality is excellent. Colors are great. They use Fuji Crystal Archive paper and real chemical processing. Photos arrive in a hard cardboard envelope. Regular 4x6 price is .18

PhotoAccess.com- Print quality is good. Better then Ofoto. Colors are good. They use Kodak paper. Photos arrive in a hard cardboard envelope. They have a 10 free print special for signing up. Regular 4x6 price is .29. They also offer "digital" sizes and matte printing for the same price.

If I had to choose, I would go with SamsPhotoClub. They have great quality and prices.

I am still in the process of reviewing Shutterfly.com, Winkflash.com, Ritzpix.com, and WalMart.com for all of their printing services.

Also, I don't know where you live, but many bigger stores have one-hour printing labs. If you have a Fred Meyer or Krogers near, they use Fuji paper and have great quality prints. I have not had much luck with Target or Rite Aid. The quality at those two places was very poor.

I hope this helps a little.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:40 PM   #6
Administrator

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
PhotoAccess.com- Print quality is good. Better then Ofoto. Colors are good. They use Kodak paper. Photos arrive in a hard cardboard envelope. They have a 10 free print special for signing up. Regular 4x6 price is .29. They also offer "digital" sizes and matte printing for the same price.
Photoaccess uses a chemical process, and prints are on Fujifilm Crystal Archive Paper. Just to make sure, I checked the last prints I ordered from 'em.

You can also see a page on their web site called "How we make prints", showing the process (which is probably the same process almost everyone else uses anyway).

They also charge a tiny bit more for the "Digital Size" Prints. For example, a 4x6" print is 29 cents, but a 5" Digital Size print is 33 cents (with the 5 inches representing the long side of the image).

Of course, if SamsPhotoClub is less expensive, with quality as good or better, and you don't need free, unlimited album space, then it would make a better choice.

A quick look through the "Help"screen on SamsPhotoClub.com shows that they charge for album space,if you want to keep your photos on their site for more than 30days.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 4:06 PM   #7

Shutterfly is what my uncle recommended.

I think there may be a Kroger's near here, not sure. There is a Sam's, but I don't have a membership, my parents do, maybe I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice guys, trying to narrow it down now. I may try a few and see which one I like.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:17 PM   #8

I use www.costco.com, or you can go to the store too. They charge $0.19 a print and they come out great. The thing I like about doing them at costco.com is that they allow you to choose what part of the picture will be cut in your print. At the store they just cut a little off of each side.

Roy
royy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:32 AM   #9

With Sams Club, you don't need a membership to order pics online.

Jim,the funny thing about PhotoAccess.com is that I thought they used Fuji as well. But looking at the pics I ordered on July 9th, all of the prints, including the order slip, are printed on Kodak paper. I will send their cust service an email asking why the change. I'll let you know what they say.

And yes, with Sams Club, you don't get the album space. But since the post just asks the best place to order pictures online, I didn't add that as a feature.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:14 PM   #10

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
With Sams Club, you don't need a membership to order pics online.

Jim,the funny thing about PhotoAccess.com is that I thought they used Fuji as well. But looking at the pics I ordered on July 9th, all of the prints, including the order slip, are printed on Kodak paper. I will send their cust service an email asking why the change. I'll let you know what they say.

And yes, with Sams Club, you don't get the album space. But since the post just asks the best place to order pictures online, I didn't add that as a feature.

I don't really need album space anyway, because I'm just going to print my pictures immediately, and don't need to e-mail them or anything. I'm going to try Shutterfly and Sams Club.