Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Sep 30, 2004, 1:06 PM   #1

Hi, i would like to be able topost pictures here, and elsewhere, but i believe that you have to have an online album set up. I am in the U.K.Can anyonerecommend a good, free website that i can use. I think Yahoo.co.uk offers a 30mb service for free. Any opinions ? Although i do not expect to be a prolific user of such a service i own a KM A2 so i don't think i would have much space with that one. Or would i ?

Appreciate any advice.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:50 PM   #2

If you are looking for photo storage, there are a ton. Try a search on google for "Photo Sharing".

When looking, you will want to make sure they allow direct linking of your pictures. That way you can post here on Steve's. I know a very popular one is www.pbase.com. It cost a little $ per year though.

I am sure Jim will pop in any minute with some very helpful links. I think he actually posted some of these some time ago.

Hope this helps a tad.

---------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:22 PM   #3
Administrator

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
I am sure Jim will pop in any minute with some very helpful links.
Actually, I like pbase.com (and I don't read all of the posts). :-)

Pbase.com gives you a lot of "bang for the buck" (ability to upload multiple images in a single .zip file; customizable album templates; your own forum for each album you create; a guestbook; ability to see small, medium, large or original size images without you needing to create the different sizes; same photos can be in more than one album without taking up more space;compression of images to save space if you want to do that, etc.).

It's only $23/year for 200mb of storage with unlimited bandwidth to your images (something that can "backfire" on you if you are using a web hosting service and lots of users decide to view your photos). Here is their pricing page:

http://www.pbase.com/pricing.html

I have seen some users mention using http://www.photobucket.com and http://www.bytephoto.com. So, you may want to check into what they offer (but I suspect they'll have some limitations for the free offerings).

Some of the sites that sell print services also offer album space. I've got a lot of photos stored at http://www.photaccess.com (unlimited free album space). They've got a software package called photostreamer that lets you create an album on your local drive, then upload the album to their server. So, if friends and family members want to order photos from it they can. It does not allow direct linking to photos, and visitors can't see the original file sizes. However, it is free with unlimited storage, and users don't have to "sign up" to see the photos.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:41 PM   #4

Take a look in the fine print from your ISP: a lot of them provide minimal web space with your connection fee. 5Meg isn't much, but keep in mind that photos for the web should be small. Us dial-up folks think they should be real small, under 50K.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 6:27 AM   #5

I'll also add that smugmug.com is a good service. It also costs a few dollars a year ($30) but you get unlimited storage, have direct links and people can (if you allow it) download full size photos. So for sharing with relatives it's a great site - they can order the prints from the site or just download them and print them locally with no loss of quality.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 1:24 PM   #6

Thank you all.

RyanH, pbase.com looks to be the front runner for now and although we would all like everything to be free i think i can cope with £12.81 GBP for a whole year:-)

BillDrew, good idea, but i couldn't find anything suitable on my ISP's website, but thanks anyway.

JohnG, does smugmug.com, or for that matter any of the hosting sites, provide secure storage where i can allow only people i want to have a look ? ie; Family and friends only.

JimC, what can i say ? From reading your previous postsyou always seem to go that extra mile, which is a very good thing for the likes of me !! Once again, very informative and always seems to be the right advice (although i haven't read ALL of your posts yet ) I will look at all of the suggested sites later before i decide to go with pbase.

I look forward to posting/storing/sharing etc, real soon.

Thanks again.

Stevekin
Old Oct 1, 2004, 1:58 PM   #7

Glad we could help Stevekin.

I look forward to viewing your pics in the future.

--------
Ryan
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:21 AM   #8

fotopic.net

Free, generous storage and traffic allowances, UK based, and you can order prints from your uploaded images too.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 8:22 AM   #9

Thanks for that one Onyx, i have set up an account with fotopic.net. As you said, it is free for 250mb storage etc, but you can pay toupgrade, so until i start to upload pics and see what it let's you do idon't know of any limitations yet.

I have also set up a trial (free) pbase.com account which i think does not allow direct links to a forum such as Steve's Digicams. What i mean is, you can link to images in your galleries on pbase.com but not have the images post directly in the forums....i think:?

As i said earlier i have no problem parting with only £12.81 GBP ( $23.00 USD)(31.66 AUD) but i'll wait a little while till i have decent photos to upload and i find my way around both these sites before i decide which i like best.

Thanks again.

Stevekin

P.S.As there aren't many of you in Oz,do you know my Aunt Belle in Adelaide ? :G
Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:05 AM   #10

Here is the diff between the two -

Posting pics here actually store your photo on Steve's server. You do this by clicking the "browse" button at the bottom of your post when entering info.

Linking pics from and external web site just pulls the image from that site and displays it in the post. These pics are not stored on Steve's server. You do this by clicking the Insert Image button at the top of the post editor.

Ferny put together a good tutorial on this. Check it out - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

--------
Ryan