Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:39 PM   #11

Thanks! After doing comparison charts on everything each of the many sites offered, and viewing the sites for professional appearance, I chose smugmug.com. They have already been very helpful in terms of support, which I haven't found with many other sites. I also set up my own web page by buying my domain, and then smugmug hosts my site so I don't have to pay that extra monthly fee to have godaddy or someone else be a host for me. This way, I have a very nice looking gallery, I can set my own prices and items to sell, I can give people the domain name I wanted and not one combined with someone else's domain name, and I'm able to see all of the hits on all of my sites. I'm very pleased with my choice for now, and by having my own domain name with a free starter page, I'm able to do all of my advertising with my domain name without fear of what will happen if I switch to a different gallery company.

If anyone wants to find out more about what I found out in this research phase, just let me know.

WI GIRL

www.valleyvisionsphotography.com

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:15 PM   #12
csh

designmc wrote:
Quote:
I recommend http://smugmug.com. I've been very happy with them. With their pro account ($90 a year, i think), you can set the profit to anything you'd like on a range of prints and products.
I like smugmug, but haven't become a member because they charge far too much for an account which lets you sell pictures.

It's too bad too, because I'm otherwise impressed with their site.
csh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:50 PM   #13

I know what you mean, however after investigating hosting my own site, setting up the ability to sell using PayPal, and having someone help me so I could make it look professional, that price seemed more reasonable.

For simply selling prints in mass quantities, eventpictures.com was much more reasonable, but it didn't have exactly what I needed. I hope to keep searching and keep my options open, but this is working for me. I had over 6,000 hits on my pictures in less than a month, which was thrilling to me!

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 2:12 PM   #14

In reply to "wanted : photo web site where I can sell pix"

I have been using several sites for the past 2 months - please view my page for brief details and links:-

http://stockphotography.atspace.com

Pete
PeteG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:50 PM   #15

Hi

Have a look at my site www.squeezephotos.com. The freelance scheme would let you earn some cash for your photos and allow people to order prints at various sizes. Drop me a line if you have any questions!

squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:27 AM   #16

I use smugmug. As mentioned, their support is fast and friendly. Its run by a father-son outfit, I think.

Their PRO account pricing is very reasonable imho. For $100 you get unlimited webspace. You can upload originals which are used when people order prints. Uploading full-size images makes space go fast! You can choose to not allow visitors to see/download the originals though.

Setting pricing is completely flexible. Their range of products they offer to put your pictures on is decent.

I like their default layout, but you can go wild and completely do your own if you desire.

For a modest fee they'll send you a backup DVD with all your pictures, as you uploaded them, to you. A great saver for me, since my layout on disk is not the same as the smugmug layout.

WisconsinGirl, I like your smugmug website, but I don't like your GoDaddy free intro page. It has advertising on it and it is totally not in the style of your smugmug site.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Barthold

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:13 AM   #17

I've signed up with smugmug for a Pro account and also think that it's very reasonable considering what you get. I'd say even that it's a bargain.

barthold and wisconsingirl, I'm curious how are the sales. Any ideas how to promote your images there ?

lazal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:53 AM   #18

I have another question, for a short discussion.

Whatare your opinions on this thought :

Is it better to be registered under the sameyour ownname ornicknameon smugmug,istock,shutterstock,...OR under different names ?

I guess an advantage could be, that your own name gets exposure, instead of hiding it behind a nickname.

On the other hand, if somebody finds your image on smugmug or elsewhere for a higher print cost, and he knows your name, he/she can go to istockphoto or shutterstock, search for your name, find this same image and download for almost nothing.

PeteG , for example is using his own name everywhere.

What do you think guys, is your name exposureisa good thing?

Thanks!
lazal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:14 AM   #19

I am using www.istockphoto.com for selling some of my photos. It also has a forum where buyers asks for photos they can not find.

Regards,
Zoran
zstojkovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:26 PM   #20

Try www.smugmug.com

I highly recommend it and you can save $5.00 by using this coupon code:

OxLHTJXjf6w9U
wassct is offline   Reply With Quote