Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:13 AM   #1

Have been doing research for a GOOD photo selling site. Attracted to this one for it's capability of letting me set prices for prints AND stock use. Anyone have any other opinion/advice for this site or any others? I've read through previous posts on this subject, and just doing a little extra (Rain-Man-Type) research befor I commit.

Thanks for any help...

Dave...
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:52 AM   #2

Another royalty free site.
A great way to sucker wannabe pros out of their images.
Royalty free purveyors are the bottom feeders of the photo imaging world, they are down there right next to the paparazzi.

If you have a good protfilio try submitting it to one of the real rights managed stock houses.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:08 AM   #3

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Another royalty free site.
A great way to sucker wannabe pros out of their images.
Royalty free purveyors are the bottom feeders of the photo imaging world, they are down there right next to the paparazzi.

If you have a good protfilio try submitting it to one of the real rights managed stock houses.

Peter.
Thank-you for the quick response... All this time I was looking for a site to 'combine' the capability for selling prints AND stock, but from your response I get the feeling that MAY be a bad idea or mistake... Is this true? Would it be a mistake for me to try to do that, or should I try to keep the two separate? i.e. Have a site for my prints, and then submit stock photos to a 'reputable' stock agency. If so, can you recommend some?

Sorry for all the questions, I guess you could consider me one of those 'wannabe pros', in that my photography is a hobby right now, but I 'wanna' turn it into more if I'm able.I'm trying to do my reasearch now to hopefully prevent me from making any mistakes (both financially AND ethically to my fellow photographers). Any more help you may offer PeterP (or anyone else)IS greatly appreciated.

Thanks again--------Dave...
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:27 AM   #4

:-) The quest for a site that can combine the two functions is not a bad thing :-)

What got me was the royalty-free component of that site, you are basically giving away your images for very little compensation and losing your own rights to them.
Once you have given them away as royalty free the purchasers can do anything they want with them. Quite probably even resell.

Have a look at http://www.smugmug.com/ it has a pro section, doesn't seem to cost much to join and you control what you do with the images and how much they sell for. They will handle the billing, printing, delivery.

If you want to have a look around some of the real rights managed agencies.
Here are some of the well know stock agencies, but getting them to accept you is not so easy :-)
http://www.agpix.com/index.php
http://pro.corbis.com/splash.aspx << ---- Bill Gates owned :-)
http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/
http://www.masterfile.com/

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:44 PM   #5

Thank-you again PeterP. I will check out those sites you listed for me. I appreciate your advice.

Dave...
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:50 PM   #6

Hey guys,

I too have been looking for an outlet for my work and would like to find one service that takes care of it all. I have looked at photostockplus before and have asked them the questions you guys bring up. Seems as though there are two types of royalty free sites out there. Those that have membership fees and you download all you want and those like photostockplus and smugmug where you set your price to the photos as royalty free. With phtostockplus if someone buys the photo, you retain the rights to the photo, they just get the rights to use it and the price is set at whatever you want. I'm more of an even photographer and what's really caught my eye is the fact that they only require for you to upload thumbnails which their tool creates for you and you don't need a lot of disk space or a fast connection to get your photos up. Their customer service has been pretty good so far even though I haven't signed up yet, I will let you know how it goes.
tconta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 7:49 PM   #7

Hi,

I am the director of operations at photostockplus.com. I wanted to take a moment to respond to some of the negative comments we have seen posted in this forum.

Firstly we are much more that a royalty free agency but to cover some specifics... All of our members maintain all rights to their photos, we are merely a facilitator. Our members set their own pricing on images so they can charge ten dollars or a thousand dollars per image. We only keep 15% as opposed to traditional agencies that keep 85% of the commission on RF images and 50% on rights managed.

We work very hard to provide a product that really puts the tools into photographer's hands to make more money with their work and feel it is important to clear up this matter.

We provide users with their own website, fulfillment services on prints and photo gift items and the ability to sell stock internationally which is promoted through our database and marketing efforts. Users can set their own mark-ups on all products charging as much as they like and keep 85% of the commissions. We handle all the credit card processing, shipping and customer service. As much as I would likecontinue promotingour service, this is not the reason for this post.

If anyone would like more info about us they can contact us or refer to our online info section at
http://www.photostockplus.com/info_event.php

We welcome all your input and comments but feel it is important to set the facts straight as we are a reputable service and value your good word of mouth. We hope you will visit us and see for yourselves what kind of service we provide.

Best regards

Ilan Artzy
Director of operations
www.photostockplus.com

Photostockplus.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 8:04 AM   #8

So I did sign up in January and would like to share some of my experience with you guys. As said in my last message, I'm mainly an event photographer so I started off exploring those features. My first event went something like this: First I set up the event on the site, used their tool to print out flyers to leave for guests at the wedding, then I went to the wedding and shot my photos. I had left a few flyers at each table so people could browse the photos when they woke up in the morning. I was able to charge the couple a premium for this service and it turned into more sales for me. Once the wedding was finished I went home, plugged my camera into my computer and uploaded all the photos. This went fairly quickly as they only upload thumbnails. Within no time the photos where uploaded and then I went to sleep. When the couple came back from their honeymoon they went online to view their photos and ordered what they had wanted and all I had to do was load my tool which uploaded the hi res files of the photos that where ordered. The order was printed and shipped without me having to do anything. When I looked at my sales report, I noticed that it wasn't just the couple that had ordered, seems like the guests themselves had placed some orders as well. A few months later the orders where still trickling in and I sent an email to everyone that had viewed the site letting them know the pictures where about to be taken down and I had dropped the prices by 20% and got an influx of new orders. This might sound a bit like a pitch, and that's because I was so happy with the results. There is however a negative side to this site. They have so many features, it's a little overwhelming when you first sign up, it feels like there is so much to do. But you can do what I did, start off small, use a few features at a time and you learn pretty quickly. And their customer support was quick and they usually answered my questions and gave me extra tips on how to maximize profits, they get a percentage so I guess it's in their interest.

For the stock side, I can't say that I'm much of a stock photographer, but since it was included in the account I've uploaded a few images. Seems like they have someone who looks at all the photos uploaded and I was given comments on my photos at first, telling me how to properly keyword them and what photos sell the best. I only uploaded a few photos and have one sale in about 3 months. I can't give a fair judgement on the stock side as I'm so new to this, but my sale has motivated me to learn a little more and see if I can supplement my current income a little with some stock.

Let me know how your experiences go
tconta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:20 AM   #9

They had a very nice display set up at the PMA convention in Orlando and were verygood at answering questions and displaying what they want to do.They aretrying to get their company started. I signed up but I have been so busy with other things I have not had time to put together a bunch of photographs to send in. They seemed to be a ligit company to Me.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote