Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Jun 25, 2006, 5:53 PM   #1

Has anybody read either of these reviews?:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/so...ews/index.html

or

http://photo-sharing-services-review.toptenreviews.com/

If not, check them out and let me know you think. Anyone using any of the following?:

Hello (Consumersearch - Best Photo Sharing Application)
Grouper (Consumersearch - Best Video, music and photo sharing)
PixPO (Consumersearch -Media hosting from your computer
AOL Pictures (Consumersearch - Best Online Photo Hosting)
Smilebox Consumersearch -Project creator and photo-sharing site

for Top Ten Reviews

dotPhoto *Gold/Top Ten Reviews
Webshots *Silver/Top Ten Reviews
Fotki *Bronze/Top Ten Reviews
Faces
Flickr
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:13 PM   #2

Anybody read any of these reviews? steve, Kalypso, JimC?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:09 PM   #3

Do you agree with the review? I'd like to choose one, it is not that easy.. Though, I like the look of Zenfolio, plus support of IPTC, the comments will be soon..
What's so fine about dotphoto?
Michal
miksebik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:30 PM   #4

Yes, I agree with the Top Ten Review. While dotPhoto is not perfect, it is very good. The free basic service gives you many cool options:

1. People you email your photos do not have to register to view them.
2. Unlimited online storage. You can password any albums you choose, or make them available to public searches.
3. You can sell photos online.
4. For a small monthly fee ($2.00/month), you can post videos there.
5. They give you your own personal website, which you can pick the name of.
6. You can print notes/titles on the back of photos.
7. Can record narration to your online albums, slideshows..also can (this is great) upload your own music to online shows.
8. Slideshows can be viewed full screen, not full resolution like smugmug..but you'll pay more to belong to smugmug.
9. Ability to track invitations, can see who looked at a photo album..and how many times.

Haven't looked at the two sites you mentioned, but will check them out. Good luck.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:57 PM   #5
Administrator

dmargolis wrote:
Quote:
Anybody read any of these reviews? steve, Kalypso, JimC?
Not me.

I like http://www.pbase.com and I'm not likely to switch without a very good reason.

For one thing, I really like their templates (a.k.a, style sheets).

They didn't even charge for the service originally. But, it grew and grew and their costs eventually ran more than the donations they were receiving.

So, they switched it to a commercial service and continued to upgrade it (with some growing pains along the way from time to time).

Pbase.com gives you a lot of "bang for the buck" (ability to upload multiple images in a single .zip file; customizable album templates; your own forum for each album you create; a guestbook; ability to see small, medium, large or original size images without you needing to create the different sizes; same photos can be in more than one album without taking up more space;compression of images to save space if you want to do that, direct linking to photos, no login required for others to view your photos, etc.).

It's currently $23/year for 400mb of storage with unlimited bandwidth to your images (and bandwidth usagecan "backfire" on you if you are usingsome web hosting services and lots of users decide to view your photos).

About once/year they tend to update the amount of storage you get for the same price (it was originally 100mb, then 200mm, then 300mb, now 400mb).

Here is their pricing page:

http://www.pbase.com/pricing.html

About the only thing it's missing that I wouldn't mind having is the ability for viewers to order prints. But, that's not a real big deal to me (although it could be to others).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:13 AM   #6

Well, I'll look more deeply into pbase, dotphoto and zenfolio. But IMO the zenfolio's templates are just much better than any others'. I do not expect many people viewing my gallery so the bandwidth is not that important to me.
What I really like about the Zenfolio is the "intelligent image view", you can always see full picture, you do not have to scroll it (it bothers me a lot).
I tried it on the pbase and I had to scroll. Well, on the other hand they have the guestbook and forum things.. With the Zenfolio I'll have to wait to have commentaries for my images.
And I tried the dotphoto once more and.. no. I do not want to print it nor sell my images (If anyone wanted, he can write an email). What is important for me is a great look of the webpages, easy orientation and navigation and commentaries. I cannot help myself but the Zenfolio is nearly perfect. Or do you have other tips?
miksebik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:31 AM   #7
Administrator

miksebik wrote:
Quote:
I tried it on the pbase and I had to scroll.
I want for people to be able to see the full size original if desired. ;-)

You can specify the desired viewing size from the choices you'll see under a photo. It automatically creates small, medium, large and original sizes when you upload an image.

You can also "direct link" to a specify image size for forum posts, etc.

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:09 AM   #8

Jim, Can you run a slideshow on PBase albums? -David
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:42 AM   #9
Administrator

dmargolis wrote:
Quote:
Jim, Can you run a slideshow on PBase albums? -David
Yes, they added a slideshow feature a while back. Here's an example:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/moth...view=slideshow

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:48 AM   #10

Thanks Jim. How would you compare PBase against Smugmug in terms of features? Been using dotPhoto for a while, and I really love being able to upload music to my slideshows, and add narration online (though I don't do the narration much). What I miss, are full resolution, full screen photos. Smugmug lets you run fullscreen slideshows....if I could only add music etc to it, it'd be perfect. I love being able to combine the two, more fun for me..and for the folks watching the "show".