Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:28 PM   #1

To say thanks for all the help I've obtained on-line (I'm a bit of a lurker), I've created a website to share outdoor photography locations, OutdoorPhotoOp.com.

Several times a year I travel for continuing education, and love to take landscape and bird photos as a hobby when I do. In the past I have looked for websites that organized and mapped great locations to take photographs where I was traveling to, but so far have come up empty. Since I couldn't find one, I thought I would give back to the photography community by creating one. (I've taken a lot; when I purchased my most recent camera I checked it out on this site.)

The basic idea is to share locations by using a map, a search engine, etc. I'm not sure if there will be enough interest to make the idea work, but it is something I would love to have when I travel so I thought it might be useful to others as well

The site is new and currently there are about 30 locations, but adding a location is relatively simple and anyone is welcome to add a new one. With a resource like this, the more the merrier.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Williams

juanpizarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:17 PM   #2

Just a quick follow-up note for those who may have visited OutdoorPhotoOp.com (photography locations on Google Maps) after my initial post. I've made several changes in format and content. (Most importantly, the requirements to add a location have been greatly simplified.)

Originally, I envisioned OPO to provide comprehensive information for each photography location. With lots of good feedback and more Internet browsing I have found that there is a lot more comprehensive information in other websites/forums/groups/books/newsletters/etc., than I had realized. However, I have not found a site that simplifies the process of organizing photography locations, especially on a map. Rather than duplicating information that is already available, I hope to emphasize OPO as a gateway to finding comprehensive information, rather than providing that information directly.

With that direction in mind, I hope to put some work into adding more links to the links page(s). If any of you have favorite resources, whether in print, video, on the Internet, etc. for photography locations, please let me know so that I may add them.

Thanks!

John Williams

info AT outdoorphotoop.com
juanpizarro is offline   Reply With Quote