Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Nov 4, 2006, 1:58 PM   #1

Photoshop CS2 Wonder if it is possible to drag a selection box around an area(was possible in Aldus Photo styler) for use with magic wand which therefore gives a better average selection or is there a plug-in that would allow the same idea?
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:05 PM   #2

if u want to vary the selection of the magic wand u can change tolerance one the menu bar, this varies how much it selects, if thats any help

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:28 PM   #3

Yes thanks Gary. not just whatI was after really, with my old software it was quiet easy just to drag a bounding box around a group of colours and it would take an average of those, I was wondering if I had missed something within Photoshop that allowed you to do the same thanks again Gary.

(just started a beginers class up at the New College)

Neil

Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:21 AM   #4

not come across that myself, are you wanting to remove some background, cos i find magic wand doesnt do it as good as a lasso tool and paitence,selecting small areas and deleting instead of tackling the whole image in one.

Gary

ps self taught im photoshop off online tutorials ;-)

Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:52 AM   #5

3links on tutorials for magic wand, maybe of some use

http://www.tutorialstraining.com/cst...1magicwand.htm

http://teamphotoshop.com/articles-Th...ns-4,8,1a.html

http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/knocko...knockout=mwand

Gary
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:20 PM   #6

Thanks Gary will try those links, see if they help, great pics. on your Web. some very familiar places.

Neil
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:16 AM   #7

no probs dude......glad u like the shots and am sure there are plenty that are familiar, i did notice where u where from :-)

just thinking of advertising the site on back of local paper

Gary
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:03 AM   #8

Are you looking for the "EXTRACT" tool? It might do what you seek. I use it quite a bit. When that is not spot on, I will also use the polygonal lasso (like Reanimator stated). Here's how to use Extract, if you've never tried it before:

Go to the Filter menu and choose Extract at the top of the list.

Using the highlighter brush in the new window (or just press B), outline your subject area roughly straddling the line 50/50you are wishing to follow. Use a small brush stroke when tracingastride well-defined lines, a largerbrush for hair and less well-defined lines. Pressing the left or right bracket keys ( [ or] ) makes thehighlighter size smaller or larger, by the way.

Once satisfied, choose the bucket fill (or just press G) and click inside the highleted edge boundary, the part you want to keep, which will now fill with a bluish-purple transparent color. Make sure there is no over-fill beyond your boundary... if so, you may want to redo the process (Ctrl Z). Press OK.

There are many tricks and techniques to effectively use the extract tool, and it can really do wonders with stray hair and the likes; perhaps this tool will be close to what you are asking about.

On edit, one thing I forgot ... you might have someplaces where the extract tool "drops out" a few spots. One of my friends suggested something, which I find rather amazing because it fixes most such spots overlooked by the tool: simply duplicate the extracted layer (Ctrl J) which fixes almost all of them! Then Ctrl E (merge) the two layers when done. There are other tricks I use, but I am sure you can find a more apttutorial on this tool somewhere on the net. It does not solve all problems, but the Extract tool has its place in the various selection methods.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote