Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:38 AM   #1

After I read about the new software from Microsoft about "Photo Info", I downloaded it's s/w.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...photoinfo.mspx

Then it said I need another piece of s/w in order that the first program works. Then I downloaded the second one which was Microsoft .Net Framework runtime version 2.0.

Now I tried to use the "Photo Info", but not sure how could I use it? In their Readme site says:

Quote:
'After running Setup, a new "Photo Info" item appears in the file context menu in Windows Explorer. (Microsoft Photo Info can only be accessed from within Windows Explorer; it does not appear separately in the Windows Start Menu.)'
First of all the "Photo Info" item DID NOT appear in the file context menu in my Windows Explorer. Secondly I DO NOT know how I use it.

Therefore I would like to ask from those people who might use that s/w for their help.

Thank you

kombizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2007, 6:30 PM   #2

I think, but I'm not sure, that if the .net framework isn't installed first, you probably won't get the photo info menu item until after you have restarted the computer.

I d/l and installed it, and it does have this menu item now when I right-click on a photo in explorer. Only works on .jpeg and .tiff files, and some raw files for certain cameras.

It allows you to edit the metadata included with the photo. You can add keywords, copyright notices, image descriptions, etc., as well as view and alter Exif info. Haven't used it enough yet to say how well it works, or if their are any glitches.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:46 AM   #3

To VTPhotog
Quote:
Thank you
kombizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:40 AM   #4

"Internet Explorer" was a dumb name to attach to their browser when Microsoft had already named the main file management tool in their operating system "Windows Explorer". Windows Explorer has nothing to do with the internet. To access it right click on Start and select "Explore". Navigate to your photos and everything will probably make sense.

M$ has always messed up the right click on Start shortcut as well. In earlier versions it opened the Windows folder and now it opens the Documents and Settings – neither of which you necessarily want open. You can go Start > All Programs > Accessories and find a version of Windows Explorer that isn't cluttered with what M$ thinks you should look at. Right click on Windows Explorer and "Send to" your desktop. You will then have a shortcut to Windows Explorer on your desktop that doesn't open Documents and Settings.

I dragged that shortcut down into my Quick Launch toolbar so I can get at it without going back to the desktop.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Administrator

I'd make sure to only work on backups of your images, not the originals if you value the metadata in your images.

I've already seen some reports of users messiing up metadata in some images (camera specific EXIF/Makernotes fields). Be careful whenever using any tool that writes to IPTC/EXIF sections.

I've also seen reports of quirks working with compressed TIFF files (files ending up twice as large after making changes with this tool).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:30 PM   #6

kombizz wrote:
Quote:
To VTPhotog
When you say you DID right-click in explorer, what do you mean?

Does it mean that I have to go to the http://www.msn.com and open my images there or what? My problem is about the Windows Explorer.
Sorry, Windows Explorer is what I was talking about, in reply to your original question. Right-click brings up the file context menu and there is 'Photo Info' as one of the menu choices.

when using the .net framework, sometimes the order in which things are installed is critical, as with other software dependencies. If you still don't have it working, you might try uninstalling the Photo Info software, while leaving the .net framework, then reinstalling Photo Info.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote