Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1

I just downloaded Neat Image, free version. It's awesome! I used the standard mode and it looks GREAT! But I got this message. Am I better off buying the program...

Also, when is it a good time to use anti noise, at the beginingbefore color correction or at the end just before saving my changes (color, sharpening, cropping....)?

Thanks guys!

Chris

cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:16 PM   #2

Nothing wrong with a high quality JPG. Use the program and see if it does what you want of it. The demo doesn't expire.

It isn't considered good practice to re-save as a JPG, but high quality JPGs don't degrade the image much. I think there are other limitations to the demo. Some people get along fine with it though.

I am stuck with purchasing noise reduction because I prefer to use it as a plug-in.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:44 PM   #3

Thanks slipe!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4

cmoy, it seems to me that I read in one the FAQ's about Neat Image that it doesn't matter a lot one way or the other when in your workflow you use NI. I usually try to do it before sharpening, both so that I'm not sharpening the noise and because use of any noise reduction causes some additional softness which varies with the degree of noise reduction -- thus influencing how much sharpening you need to apply.

I use only the free version of NI, but I don't use it all that much, so the restrictions don't bother me. If you are into making large prints and the default "save" setting that NI uses isn't high enough quality -- that is, you're seeing JPEG artifacts in your prints, then it might be worth popping for the payed-for version.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:32 AM   #5

Thanks Grant!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:20 PM   #6

There was a long discussion a few months ago about when to apply noise reduction. Most people said to apply it before sharpening.

With the plug-in I don't usually apply noise reduction to the whole image. So I prefer to use noise reduction after sharpening so I can see exactly what needs treatment and how much.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:39 AM   #7

Thanks Slipe!