Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1

I'm new to mac and unlike my windows mouse there's no way to right click and choose to read the exif.

Is there a way to do this with a mac?

Thanks
-Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:20 AM   #2
Administrator

If you're looking for a tool that allows you to see the EXIF from within a browser, try this Firefox add-on (Exif Viewer by Alan Ranskin). It's cross platform (works with Windows, Mac, Linux versions of Firefox), and I use it from within Firefox under both Windows and Linux.

http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905

If you're looking for a way to see the EXIF in photos on your hard drive without using a browser, I don't know the answer (I don't use a Mac). With my current Linux distro (SimplyMEPIS 8.0 Release Candidate 2), I can simply perform a "Mouse Over" (hold the cursor over an image icon within a folder) using the default Konquerer file manager, and the image information pops up. There may be something similar you can do with a Mac. Hopefully, someone using one will see this post and respond.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:28 AM   #3

I use Graphic Converter to read my EXIF data from any photo. Without opening Photoshop, Graphic Converter is quicker to use. Its free from many sources and handy for any Mac operator.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking for something simple for my browser. Used to use opanda with windows, I was hoping to find something as simple to use with OS X 10.5.6.

I did find a exif viewer in iphoto 08.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:29 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
I'm looking for something simple for my browser.
The Firefox add-on I mentioned in my first post should work for you (it's cross platform), as long as you can use Firefox as your browser (I use Firefox with both Windows and Linux, and it's also available for Mac).

http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905

Here's a different EXIF viewer I've used in the past with Firefox that is also cross platform (should work with Firefox on a Mac):

http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673

Opanda's IExif is good. But, it's not a cross platform product (requires Windows).

Since I use more than one Operating System (I'm currently running under SimplyMEPIS 8.0 Release Candidate 2, even though I've got Vista installed in a separate partition on my Desktop), I prefer to use Firefox addons that work with both Windows and Linux for consistency

Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:20 AM   #6

Thanks for the links Jim.

You are more computer savvy then I. One OS is all I want to use. I think that the mozilla link will only work with firefox? If so then I would need to download firefox. Can you have Safari and Firefox simultaneously on one desktop without making things to complicated?

I feel like I'm learning a new language adapting to this mac. I sure miss the right click option (made things so easy).

Even resizing photo's to post here is something I'm going to have to relearn.

I always heard macs make things easier, I don't know about that.

Thanks Bynx.

I haven't checked out Graphic converter yet but I'm going to. Free is good!!
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Administrator

Right (those two EXIF readers will only work with Firefox). I don't know if anything similar is available for Safari.

Yes, you should be able to install another browser like Firefox without any issues (just use it as desired, or use Safari as desired). They can both reside on the same PC.

One of them will be the default browser (the one that loads when you click on a link in your E-mail, etc.). Firefox will ask you if you want to make it the default browser when you install it. You can tell it No if you'd prefer to leave Safari as your default browser. Then, just load Firefox when you want to use it instead. You can download it from here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

I tried Safari under Windows, and frankly, I wasn't impressed. But, someone accustomed to using it may have the opposite opinion. There are pros and cons to any of them. lol

Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Administrator

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
One OS is all I want to use....
I prefer to stick with Linux whenever possible. But, some Windows programs won't run under Wine (a free product that allows Windows applications to run under Linux).

So, you're left with the choice of running these programs in a copy of Windows running in a virtual machine under Linux, or booting into Windows when you need it. Right now, I just boot into it when I need to use a program that requires Windows. At some point, I'll probably just install Windows in a Virtual Machine instead (probably by using VirtualBox, which is free )

BTW, you can also install the operating system I'm currently using (SimplyMEPIS 8.0 RC2) on a Mac in a dual boot configuration with OS X (so that you just select the OS you want to boot into when you start your PC). Warren (the developer of SimplyMEPIS) uses a Mac. lol

If you want to give it a try sometime, it will run from a CD without installing anything (although it's fairly slow that way, due to the speed of a CD and the way it's decompressing files "on the fly", since it's storing around 3GB of programs on a 700MB CD). It's got lots of preinstalled software, including image management applications like digiKam (with many thousands of free applications available with a mouse click or two by using the preinstalled Synaptic Package Manager)

Warren includes a Mac installer program to help make it easier to install on an Intel based Mac. You can download the latest Mepis 8.0 Release Candidate from the links in this press release, burn it to CD and boot into it to see if you like it or not. Then, install it in a dual boot configuration if you do. It's free.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05302

Here's a recent screen capture of my desktop (using the default Mepis 8 wallpaper). Click on it for a larger version.

Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:30 PM   #9

Whew! I'm getting a headache.

I was so comfortable reading the exif and posting with XP. But I had it with viruses messing up my windows PC. I was constantly having my restart it just to keep things communicating. So Apple it was.

I never even realized there was such an array of browser possibilities and switching between them to use specific applications. Boy what a P-I-T-A!

I can live without seeing the exif on web photo's (for a while), but I really like to see that info. It helps to see what others are doing to improve your photography or help someone else.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:51 PM   #10
Administrator

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
I was so comfortable reading the exif and posting with XP. But I had it with viruses messing up my windows PC. I was constantly having my restart it just to keep things communicating. So Apple it was.
Or, just use Linux instead, and you'll have a much greater variety of hardware that you can use it on compared to Microsoft's or Apple's Operating Systems. ;-)

Quote:
I never even realized there was such an array of browser possibilities and switching between them to use specific applications. Boy what a P-I-T-A!
Just use Firefox.since it's cross platform (Windows, Linux, Mac, and more. ;-)