Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Jun 30, 2009, 8:51 PM   #1

Default Uploading photos from camera?

Hi, I'm still new here; I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place or if there is a sticky that I missed that answers my questions. When I upload photos from the camera to my computer, I've been using the Windows tool that uploads for me when I plug my camera in through the USB port. Is there any reason not to do this? Is there a better/more efficient way?
TwoGlassEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:15 PM   #2

First of all, it’s up to you but IMO it’s better to use a card reader and not plug the camera into the computer. The cable is usually pretty short and if your desk is anything like mine there is not much room to set the camera. This makes a good potential for an accident. Also this way you are not draining the camera battery. You do however have to remember to put the card back in the camera. An easy mistake to make

If you have Adobe Bridge, you can use it to upload your images. It will allow you to rename the files add metadata etc.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3

I do it both ways and don’t have a strong preference. Newer cameras are about as fast as a high speed USB card reader.

If you have only one battery and plan to shoot more pictures right away the card reader will leave you more battery life. I have spare batteries for both of my current cameras and seldom use the primary to the point where I can’t download.

The cords are always plugged in and convenient. I find it handier with my setup to just plug the camera in rather than remove the card and bend over to get it in the reader. My reader is in the computer, but an external would be more clutter than how I place my cords.

If you are happy with your current system I wouldn’t change. You might like a card reader better and you might not. They both work fine and the Windows tool or any other system you use works equally well with either.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. My new Transcend card came with a card reader; I'll probably try it out at some point and see what I prefer. I was more concerned with using the Windows tool, but I don't have Adobe Bridge so I'll stick with what I have. Thanks again!
TwoGlassEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:22 PM   #5

I don’t use the Windows tool but a straight copy/paste from the drive to a folder using Windows Explorer. Some people prefer a program for download, others the wizard and others prefer to make it a normal file transfer. There isn’t really a preferred way except to the individuals using a particular method they are familiar with.

One hint I might share if you use separate folders for each download. Start the folder names with a date starting with year, then month, then day. When I download my photos this evening the folder they go in will be something like “090704 fireworks from boat”. That way the folders stay in order.

I like Irfanview for sorting. You can make the thumbnails any size and that lets you do a lot of sorting without having to look at the full sized image. It is especially good for deleting stuff.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote