Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:58 AM   #21

There are two others that should be considered: Nik's Define2.0, which I mainly use, and i have Noise Ninja, and others. The other one is from Kodak "Digital GEM Pro 2.1"
Both, can be downloaded as a Demo. The bottom line is They all are pretty good today, but each one does something better than the others. Just a matter of personal opinion, and, obviously, how well you understand the software. Actually, a little noise is not all that bad. Nobody seems to remember, film grain, or shooting with ET 160 or push processing of just about any slide film over ISO 64.
Thegreygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:26 PM   #22

"if you don't pay for softwares you can get a decent camera next time" i generally act like to achive this.

I got good results with gaussian blur which is freeware Adjusting radius among 0 to 1 doesn't ruin your whole image.

you can try GIMP with more advanced blur option which is called selective gaussian blur. See this please.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
"if you don't pay for softwares you can get a decent camera next time" i generally act like to achive this.

I got good results with gaussian blur which is freeware Adjusting radius among 0 to 1 doesn't ruin your whole image.

you can try GIMP with more advanced blur option which is called selective gaussian blur. See this please.
With all due respect, Noise Ninja, Noiseware, Neat Image, all reduce gausian blur to the trivial. There is literally no comparison; not in the same league, etc, etc...

Nor are any of the above expensive, (although who wants to spend any money?). They are more than worth it.

(I do own Gem 2 from Kodak, and am NOT impressed. In fact, I deleted it. Maybe you can compare That program to gausian blur)

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:17 AM   #24

what do you think about lightroom build in noise reduction utility at develop tab? It also uses luminance channel but there is nothing about profiling the noisy picture?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
what do you think about lightroom build in noise reduction utility at develop tab? It also uses luminance channel but there is nothing about profiling the noisy picture?
Unfortunately I've never used Lightroom, so I have no point of reference. But others on this board HAVE used Lightroom, and the other programs as well. I believe there's a thread on that very subject ongoing at this moment.

But noise removal is some sort of "religious" thing with me, since I shoot at high ISO's. I bought every damned program that came out - None of them were worth much until some genious came up with the algoryhtems that led to the programs I mentioned (and there are others as well). I still can't get over the effects of a program like Noise Ninja!!! I own the two others I mentioned, and probably prefer Noise Ninja for the simple reason that I learned it first. Any of them will do the job.

Some (if not all) have trial demo's. I suggest that they be tried.

Dave

Edited in:

Here's the thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/plug-ins-actions-photoshop-compatible/130397-lightrooms-noise-reduction-vs-noise-ninja.html

Last edited by Chato; Mar 12, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:00 PM   #26

Here's an excellent free denoiser with 7 different algorithms. The examples are very interestingly, particularly the effects of multi step noise removal.

http://www.ximagic.com/d_index.html

I'd be very interested to hear how well it compares with the commercial products.
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
Here's an excellent free denoiser with 7 different algorithms. The examples are very interestingly, particularly the effects of multi step noise removal.

http://www.ximagic.com/d_index.html

I'd be very interested to hear how well it compares with the commercial products.
Yes, I read your other link. Unfortunately these are windows only software, so I have no way of making a comparison - I use a Mac...

On the other hand, you could download trial versions of the other programs, compare, and let others know how good the above is.

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:16 AM   #28

Chato,

It seems most products use a single noise reduction approach, for example Noise Ninja uses wavelets. Ximagic uses 2 different wavelet methods plus 5 other approaches. Rob from Sagelight was very keen on Anisotropic noise reduction but now he seems to think Non local means is better. Ximagic suggests that Non local means and DCT are best.

There's so many different possible settings (NLM has 5 setting) and approaches, I'd prefer to defer to the experts. I'd be interested to hear Hards80's views.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
Chato,

It seems most products use a single noise reduction approach, for example Noise Ninja uses wavelets. Ximagic uses 2 different wavelet methods plus 5 other approaches. Rob from Sagelight was very keen on Anisotropic noise reduction but now he seems to think Non local means is better. Ximagic suggests that Non local means and DCT are best.

There's so many different possible settings (NLM has 5 setting) and approaches, I'd prefer to defer to the experts. I'd be interested to hear Hards80's views.
I prefer the religious view, and not the scientific. The programs I mention were acquired after buying a whole batch of programs that were for my purpose - Useless. Kodaks Gem was a great disappointment. And then came Noise Ninja, Noiseware, Neat Image, and a number of others. My faith in religion has been restored....

But I tell you what, sometimes next week I'll post a noisy image and the results of using noise ninja - You can download that image, use what software you have, and we can compare...

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
But I tell you what, sometimes next week I'll post a noisy image and the results of using noise ninja - You can download that image, use what software you have, and we can compare...
Dave
Thanks Chato but my sunrise is already available here:
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/1...e/P1010580.RW2

... if you'd like to give it a noise ninja try, to compare with Rob's efforts on it as well as mine.